• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Spare the Sparrow??

Sure, let's shoot them for some fun until they are extinct. It won't be as long as you think. Many parts of Europe and India are already on the way. Biodiversity will surely benefit from the resulting chain effect (certain plants not being seeded anymore etc). 

Their place will surely be taken by the rapidly proliferating feral parrots that shred your apples and shriek your ears off.

We do not always seem to appreciate that our actions have unexpected consequences.

🐦

Parrotcullar, as a UK based chap, please enlighten me further, are sparrows endangered in the US, was this not an invasive " sparrow.

Yes, sparrows are an invasive species brought over with the pilgrims who wanted a sense of "home" on the new continent. The sparrows quickly took over the environment of the song birds that were the dominant bird species before the invasive sparrows took root. Kill as many as you can and we can have our finches, bluebirds, cardinals, and native teradactyles back on our trees!!!

Kindly 'Ol Uncle Hoot

Yes...I'm that old! I clearly remember teradactyles in my youth. They tasted just like chicken!

Parrotcullar, as a UK based chap, please enlighten me further, are sparrows endangered in the US, was this not an invasive " sparrow.

@Harrymoreland:

Not being a biologist I do not know whether sparrows are an invasive species in the US or not. I will be sure to look that up. All I know is that sparrows are native to Europe and other regions, such as India. They were everywhere when I grew up, never gave them a second thought. Now they are in dramatic decline -- apparently due to a mix of pollution and a rapidly shrinking food supply and habitat. The ecological chain being what it is -- one species (incl plants, insects, and ultimately humans) being dependent on another -- the demise of the ordinary sparrow is bound to ripple thru the system. I rarely see a sparrow nowadays on my 10 acre property. It is not a fluke, the statistics bear it out. The speed of this decline, like others, is alarming.

Make no mistake -- I love a good shot out of my (all too many) PCPs. But rather than brag about a good "pop" we had better be aware of the consequences of our actions. After all, we are intelligent airgunners. Not primitives wielding a stone axe and damn the consequences.

🐦

@Harrymoreland:

Not being a biologist I do not know whether sparrows are an invasive species in the US or not. I will be sure to look that up. All I know is that sparrows are native to Europe and other regions, such as India. They were everywhere when I grew up, never gave them a second thought. Now they are in dramatic decline -- apparently due to a mix of pollution and a rapidly shrinking food supply and habitat. The ecological chain being what it is -- one species (incl plants, insects, and ultimately humans) being dependent on another -- the demise of the ordinary sparrow is bound to ripple thru the system. I rarely see a sparrow nowadays on my 10 acre property. It is not a fluke, the statistics bear it out. The speed of this decline, like others, is alarming.

Make no mistake -- I love a good shot out of my (all too many) PCPs. But rather than brag about a good "pop" we had better be aware of the consequences of our actions. After all, we are intelligent airgunners. Not primitives wielding a stone axe and damn the consequences.

🐦

Ok, here it is: 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.columbia.edu/itc/cerc/danoff-burg/invasion_bio/inv_spp_summ/Passer_domesticus.htm&ved=2ahUKEwis4JSY0JTtAhUSsaQKHSFGCCAQFjARegQIHRAB&usg=AOvVaw0oUKEp_g3YlD2lmI_SdIxA&cshid=1605996074234

Long story short: an aggressive invasive species -- in the US that is, not in other parts of the world. Let 'em pop and all will become pristine again like it used to be.

🐦

Parrorculler,

first off I apologise, hands up, I wrongly assumed (never assume😉) you where US based, hence my questioning tone.,

Around these parts , north west UK (house) sparrows are , along with the covids pretty much all I see, it's not that the songbirds ect are gone, they are just visibly less familiar.

However as they are not listed as a pest and as there is no eating in them , I would have no interest in shooting them.

good luck.