Tuning Spacers for FX Carbon Fiber sleeve on FX Crown MKII

So I came across danny5692's post on spacers for the FX Carbon Fiber barrel sleeve. His design looks great especially when resin printed. He was kind enough to share his design file so I tried to print it on an FDM printer. However, I did not have good luck due to dimensions and minimum thickness in my slicer, so I designed my own.

My first design was this:

installed.1650068632.jpg

However, after shroud installation over the spacers, I noticed that they slide up and down on the CF sleeve...probably due to fiddling with them too much. So I put some electrical tape to lock the spacers on the sleeve.

tape.1650068792.jpg

This worked well but I didn't like the tape because it is a bit kludgy, even if nobody can see it once the shroud is installed.

So I went back to the drawing board and made a longer spacer shaft so that it will have more friction between it and the sleeve:

longBlacko-ring.1650068863.jpg

I tested by putting the shroud on and off a few times with the o-rings and it worked a lot better without electrical tape holding the spacers to the sleeve. Even without electrical tap it retained its position on the sleeve where I placed them.

3onSleeveLongBlack.1650068914.JPG

However, I did not glue the CF sleeve to the barrel, so I still needed to put electrical tape on the barrel to hold the CF barrel sleeve / spacer assembly to the barrel when removing the shroud.

longblacktapedcf.1650068962.JPG

I didn't do such a great job on the tape here but you get the picture...

Anyway, I shot a magazine and the scope retained center and even though I can't say there was an issue without the sleeve and the stock FX barrel spacers, when I learned about the CF tube I figured it has got to help.

Now I just need to find a CF shroud to make the FX Crown look more pimped out.

Design work. However, IMHO the primary function of the carbon liner sleeve is to get rid of those spacers. I use one factory spacer at the very end against the carbon sleeve so the position would not change. Also having only one touch point at the end I’m hoping it would behave more like a free floating barrel, best would the barrel free floating inside of the shroud but not sure if FX shroud is strong enough to avoid clipping with a moderator installed. but I had great luck with just one spacer at the end in my superlite barrels, in theory it should almost behave like a free floating barrel. 

Although the difference between the 2 designs could be very small if any. 

Those spacers look really nice.
I just picked up a 3D printer and have been keeping it busy making airgun parts. I’ll have to put some of those on my list to make.

I installed a carbon sleeve on my short 380mm liner . I epoxied mine on. Without being able to tension them like the Impact guys can I felt it wasn’t tight enough to really do anything just being slid over the liner.

I use one spacer at the end and I turned one out of delrin for the middle which probably isn’t needed . I tested with and without the middle spacer and saw no difference in accuracy so I left it in.

11DB13CF-0979-42A0-8BBE-981E978F56F6.1650119940.jpeg
9717DF15-C342-4954-AB45-3DA0B91FD3D0.1650119941.jpeg

Reactions: Ctkny
Those spacers look really nice.
I just picked up a 3D printer and have been keeping it busy making airgun parts. I’ll have to put some of those on my list to make.

I installed a carbon sleeve on my short 380mm liner . I epoxied mine on. Without being able to tension them like the Impact guys can I felt it wasn’t tight enough to really do anything just being slid over the liner.

I use one spacer at the end and I turned one out of delrin for the middle which probably isn’t needed . I tested with and without the middle spacer and saw no difference in accuracy so I left it in.

View attachment 202988View attachment 202999
Is that 1 long piece of CF or 2 broken at the middle spacer?
I'm working on a 600mm barrel. 25 cal. and can't find a full 600mm CF tube which would be ideal for fitting with 1spacer at the muzzle. Any sources for a full 600mm CF tube?
I was also thinking of a spacer by the breech , glued, then CF tube glued to the sleeve , then a tightly fitted snug spacer, unglued for expansion, then finished off with a glued CF tube , glued, then with a unglued spacer. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Mike

I finally got around to designing some spacers and I thought I would share the file for those with 3D printers.
I decided to make mine out of TPU and eliminate the need for o-rings.
My carbon liner O.D. measures 11.9mm from my understanding that is pretty standard.

B7815E1C-705A-43E2-8F5A-BB68699B9007.jpeg

85296CF1-099C-4BDC-A05E-F5A1273C8D17.jpeg

C759FE78-AEA2-452E-8764-344E5A11C843.jpeg

0C9B409C-9B73-43CC-A450-09D9D57601BC.jpeg