• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Events Southwest Airgunners March and April (2024) upcoming matches (Duncan, AZ)

This spring, Rex and gang will be putting on two of the well-loved "airgun rendezvous" weekends that this club has become known for. These events will occur on March 8/9 and on April 26/27.

The address to the property is: 1129 Stevens Loop, Duncan, Arizona.
Here is a macro view of the Duncan Area. Follow my red line to get to the match site and camping area.
1708963632705.png

Both weekends will consist of silhouettes on Fri, and an AAFTA style field target match on Saturday morning.
Your normal field target rig (<20fpe) can be used for the silhouettes, and any legal ft position is allowed. Max score is 40. Ram, turkey, pig, chicken, chicken at each of the 4 distances. Shoot through twice. When the wind is reasonable the distances are 50, 60, 70, 80. On a windy month we'll bring them in a bit, 40, 50, 60, 70. Pretty dang fun to shoot steel silhouettes out to 70 or 80 yards with a 18-19fpe gun!
Silhouettes will start at 4pm on Friday evening

The AAFTA style field target match will start at 930-1000 on Saturday morning. It'll consist of 10 lanes, 3 targets per lane, 2 shots per target. Total of 60 possible points. Plan for a challenging course, we like to set em hard.

$15 match fee for the field target portion (silhouettes on Friday is no fee) and the property owner (Tom) is cooking breakfast for the group on Saturday morning. So that entry fee gets you breakfast too. On top of being very generous with his beautiful river bottom property, the gun can cook a mean dutch oven meal.

On-site camping is not only available, but encouraged. Boondocking type camping, no water hook ups or facilities. Me and my boys did tents last spring, but camp trailers can get in here too. It's only a couple hundred yards off the pavement. There's a bit of a gentle, dry and sandy wash within 75 yards of the camping area, and there's plenty of us around to help guide a camp trailer through. Spending the night allows a shooter to enjoy the silhouettes on Friday evening, AND the ft match on Sat morning, AND spend more time with like-minded (addicted to airguns) individuals.

It has been really cool to see this club spring up. Rex has almost single-handedly created a field target club where there was none. He personally footed the bill for the targets and all the peripherals that are necessary for a functioning airgun club. He has invited friends and acquaintances to come give it a try, basically everybody with any interests in guns. And as we all say, once somebody experiences the fun that is field target, well they're hooked. That has blossomed into guys buying guns and getting equipped, etc. Rex has been resealing guns bought used, and generally helping the members of his burgeoning club take their first steps into the fun.

Rex and I sent out some feelers to see if there was enough interest for two spring matches in Duncan and he just sent me the list he compiled. Looks like 18ish confirmed for March, with another 7 or 8 completely new to field target potentially showing up. April attendance looks even more promising. When comparing that to attendance of long-standing clubs around the country.....VERY cool.

Here is a match report from last spring at this location to give you an idea of what to expect. March 8/9 and April 26/27 will be very similar. https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...an-az-ft-and-silhouette-match-report.1289226/

Any and all are welcome and encouraged to attend. Both match weekends will be a bunch of fun.
Don't hesitate to comment here with any questions. Or PM me if you're shy.

Reactions: WilliamG and Solo1
I just checked the weather forecast for Duncan for this weekend and it's looking pretty nice.

Friday-A 20 percent chance of showers after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 61.
Friday Night-Mostly clear, with a low around 32.
Saturday-Sunny, with a high near 65.

Load the warm sleeping bag for that 32 on Friday night! And a light jacket for the match on Saturday.

(20% chance of rain in Arizona typically means 0% chance of rain, lol)

Should be a great time.

I've been talking with Rex the last few days and want to add the following to this announcement......

We're going to squeeze in some more airgun shooting for the April 26/27 airgun weekend in Duncan. At one point we were calling these weekend matches "airgun rendezvous", and they really do condense a bunch of fun airgun shooting into just a couple days.

• We're going to try out a 12fpe (and under) pistol silhouette match in the early afternoon on Friday the 26th. This will be from any legal pistol field target position (most will be using shooting sticks/bipod and a stool, "Hunter" style). The targets will be the 1/10th scale targets (sold by Air Venturi as the little yellow ones, and yes, the chickens in these sets are tiny). Distances will be 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards. Those little chickens at 25 yards from a pistol are gonna be TOUGH! but should be fun.
  • On Friday evening following the sub12fpe pistol silhouettes match we'll have the sub 20fpe rifle silhouette match that we've always done (40, 50, 60, 70 yards, or maybe 50, 60, 70, 80 yards if the wind cooperates).
  • On Saturday morning we'll have the 60 shot sub20fpe rifle field target match, AAFTA-style.
  • Saturday after lunch will be the sub12fpe pistol match on the same course as that morning's rifle match (likely only use some of the targets, probably only the near and middle lanes for a 40 shot match, not the full 60 shots). This pistol ft match will mostly follow AAFTA pistol matches (same rules, but some of the targets may be slightly beyond 35 yards or slightly harder than "legal").

Finally, Rex confirmed that Norman will be cooking breakfast for the shooters on Saturday morning again. Nothing quite like good homestyle dutch oven cooking!

Hope you can join us.

Last edited:
Reactions: SAZ
Hey everyone, lets not forget about the April FT match in Duncan in a couple weeks April 26-27. mark your calendars. It is a great time and Norman is cooking breakfast on Saturday morning. You don't miss out on that breakfast!!!! firewood will be supplied I hear and cleared campfire area to sit and shoot the breeze so bring your camp chairs and favorite drinks and favorite stories even if you told them to us before!!! :ROFLMAO:
Thx
Dan

We're about a week out and Rex sent me this a bit ago. Looking pretty nice. I checked it a few days ago and was seeing highs of 90 for Sat FT match. I'll take 77 over 90. And Rex is good about being cognizant of the sun and typically places nearly all the lane markers in the shade of trees.

Should be a good time with good weather and good friends, new and old.
Screenshot_20240419-072020.png

Another update from Rex.

He and Tom were cleaning up some brush for additional shooting lanes at the match site this evening. He says the mosquitos came out a bit after dark and suggested that bug spray might be a good idea for those who the skeeters like.

And the cotton from the cottonwoods is flying. Past matches at Bobbies river bottom place were like this, and last spring at Duncan too. Really cool to watch the cotton drifting through the air during a match, almost like snow. Such a visual indicator of the wind currents can play tricks with ya on what to do for the wind at the time of trigger break. So, it's a neat effect, but also a bit of an annoyance as the junk gets everywhere.

Pistol-Palooza! (y)

SAZ sent me his yesterday.

Screenshot_20240423-005943.png

Yes sir! He's got them all freshly painted up. Zoom in on the left side to see those little chickies....MAN they're tiny. Lol

On Friday, early afternoon, we're going to try shooting them with our < 12fpe FT pistols from ft position. Banks of silhouettes @ 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards. I'm REAL interested to see how this goes. Should be a hoot.

I can tell 'ya, It's not as easy as it looks.o_O
I must have deleted the pic I sent you of what they looked like actual size, set up. Hard to see without a scope, lol.

Rex and I have made "rescue lines" for the chickens so we don't lose them in the weeds.
Hopefully the others are big (and bright) enough to find.
Silo. Chicken 2.jpg

I've tried practicing some at 20 & 25 and well, let's just say it's reinforced my respect for those that actually ARE good with a pistol. ;)

Anyway, me and my little friend are ready to go and have a great time! It's all about the fun.
(I know someone will have to say it but.......yes, the moderator comes off when required to get to legal length for "official" matches.)
1720T - Pic 1.jpg

it was a fun day shooting for sure. A great course, great weather, great people. The targets were set in all kinds of challenging conditions which made it awesome. The wind kicked up nicely during the match, and that made it even more fun. The unique floating windicators floating off from the trees gives this course a unique twist not commonly seen.
I look forward to when these guys decide to make this into a GP. It would be a perfect addition to the Arizona field target landscape.

Well done.

Garrett
IMG_5069.jpeg
IMG_5068.jpeg

Reactions: Franklink