• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Results Southwest Airgunners June 2022 Match Report

We had another great match this weekend up around 8600 feet above sea level in the cool pines. The weather was great, with threats of afternoon monsoon thunderstorms building up each afternoon but never quite materializing. We got a few spits and sprinkles but not enough to even settle the dust.

Friday Evening Silhouette
8 shooters participated in the < 20fpe silhouette match.
silhoutte score.jpg

How bout Steve shooting a perfect silhouette score?!?!?! Great shooting Steve. Those perfect scores happen occasionally but they're tough to come by when shooting tiny little chickens at 70 yards with <20 fpe.

Field Target
Friday morning we set a 12 lane, 56 shot match. And yes, the math doesn't quite add up, and that's because the first 4 lanes had 3 targets/6 shots each, the remaining 8 lanes had the typical 2 targets/4 shots each. The game plan was to set the course with enough (mostly) pistol legal targets so that some could be used for both a rifle and a pistol match. We used the near and the middle targets on lanes 1-4 and then used lane 7 and lane 11 for pistol. That resulted in only two pistol targets that wouldn't be quite pistol legal at a grand prix: a 1.5inch at 36 yards was just one yard too far, and a 3/8 inch target at 10 yards. I understand official pistol rules allow for kill zones of 1/2 inch and higher. So, we ended up with a 56 shot rifle match, with a course Troyer of 32 and a 24 shot pistol match, with a course Troyer of 28. There were 3 targets on the rifle course with Troyer of 40 or more and the hardest pistol target was a Troyer of 34.7 coming from a 3/4 inch kill zone at 26 yards. The easiest pistol target was still a 20.7, so, overall a pretty tough pistol match, at least it seemed that way to me.

Rifle Scores
rifle score.jpg

Franz shot VERY well. He has only had that Huntsman for 2 weeks and was just marveling at how accurate a nice PCP can be. His seems to be on the higher end of the accuracy spectrum as he was same-holing many of his practice shots prior to the official match. He also stated that he was having a blast picking tiny twigs off the trees. An accurate airgun is a smile maker for sure.

Pistol Score
pistol score.jpg

Many thanks to Steve Q and Larry for detouring on their way to the match to pick up the the targets at Rex's. Also thank you to all who helped set up and tear down (I think it was everybody actually).

Photos taken throughout the weekend (thanks Larry)
barry and steve.jpg

barry.jpg

bumblebee.jpg

colben.jpg

franz.jpg

group.jpg

Larry.jpg

It appears we can only add 10 images per post now so here are a couple more.
steve.jpg

usft.jpg

rain.jpg

One of the unique aspects of these matches is that we definitely not cramped for space. This was pretty average for how close Colben and I were to the other shooting squads during the match. I circled other shooters in red in the next two photos.
somebody WAY over there1.jpg

somebody WAY over there.jpg

These next two photos are of one of the lanes with 3 targets.
3 per lane1.jpg
3 per lane.jpg

Forgot to mention that Larry shot with a 12fpe gun! He held his own next to us 20fpe shooters.

His Anschutz has some cool history. It went to a well known tuner and kinda got stuck I'm the backlog. The initial plan was a 20fpe gun but Larry finally settled for a 12fpe gun just to get the gun back. It ended up being 11 months I think Larry said.

Anyway I think it might have been worth it cuz Larry let me shoot it and it is SWEET! Absolutely without a shadow of a doubt the quietest airgun I have ever shot. Nearly zero sound. Surreal to shoot actually. It's almost like shooting a single stroke 10m gun, but quieter! And less recoil! (If that's even possible). And it gets some crazy amount of shots (maybe Larry said 100?) And with about a single digit extreme spread. VERY VERY VERY cool airgun capable of high shot count, accuracy as good as anything I've shot (read EXCEPTIONAL) and nearly silent report.

Update to the rifle score sheet. I had to go turn the irrigation off and came back and didn't finish before moving on. It now has Barry's info and Colben's score. Tried to update it into original post but keep getting that message that I can only attach 10 images, even though there were only 9 after deleting the incomplete version of the rifle score card-even tried to delete another image (so 8 now) and still telling me a limit of 10.

rifle score.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Cole. You've put out another great match report.
Yeah, the gun is starting to work out pretty well........let's see what was that guys name again........AZ??
He sure worked wonders with some minor surgery to my repurposed 10 meter gun. A little of this, a little of that ya know.
I've only had it back a few weeks but I'm liking it so far.
Pro Tip: If you have JD create a design on your scope wheel, make sure it's right side up before posting pic's of it. LOL!
Pic 1.jpg

Forgot to mention that Larry shot with a 12fpe gun! He held his own next to us 20fpe shooters.

His Anschutz has some cool history. It went to a well known tuner and kinda got stuck I'm the backlog. The initial plan was a 20fpe gun but Larry finally settled for a 12fpe gun just to get the gun back. It ended up being 11 months I think Larry said.

Anyway I think it might have been worth it cuz Larry let me shoot it and it is SWEET! Absolutely without a shadow of a doubt the quietest airgun I have ever shot. Nearly zero sound. Surreal to shoot actually. It's almost like shooting a single stroke 10m gun, but quieter! And less recoil! (If that's even possible). And it gets some crazy amount of shots (maybe Larry said 100?) And with about a single digit extreme spread. VERY VERY VERY cool airgun capable of high shot count, accuracy as good as anything I've shot (read EXCEPTIONAL) and nearly silent report.
a 12fpe gun!? wow! big handicap.