• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Events Southwest Airgunners Aspen Mtn Matches this Summer (2022)!!!

Rex is putting on his Aspen Mtn/Luna NM matches again this summer!!! 

The match schedule for this summer will be identical to what we've done in the past. Matches will take place on the second weekends of May, June, and July. 

Check out these past match reports for photos of the area and an idea of what these weekends entail. 

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/southwest-airgunners-aspen-mtn-july-match-report/

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/southwest-airgunners-aspen-mtn-may-2021-match-report/?referrer=1

For lots of New Mexico, Eastern AZ, and maybe even southern Colorado, these might be the closest field target/silhouette matches to you. 

These have been well-attended events the past two summers and we hope to continue the tradition. When comparing these matches to others, I'd have to say they're the most laid-back, informal events I've been too (a good thing in my books), and also located in the most scenic setting. The high elevation forest of Ponderosa pine, aspen, oak, and spruce has proven to offer an absolutely UNIQUE field target experience. I've made the point before that we think these 8600 feet above sea level matches are the highest in the country, and maybe anywhere?

And it's not just field target, we also have a silhouette match and will be adding a pistol field target match for the first time this summer. That makes a potential of 3 competitive events to participate in each of the three weekends in which matches are scheduled.

The silhouette match rules are simple: sub 20fpe (so regular field target guns can be used), shoot from any field target position (bucket and sticks or shooting harness/bum bag, or even a tripod for the Unlimited class guys). 1 shot per target, 1 bank consisting of ram, turkey, pig, chicken, chicken at 4 different distances (40, 50, 60, and 70 yards). 20 shots for each relay and we shoot through twice (40 shots). No entry fee required but donations greatly appreciated.

The sub 20fpe FT match rules will follow the same rules most AAFTA recognized clubs in the US use, with the exception of an Unlimited class in which anything goes, just keep the guns under 20fpe. Targets will be from 10-55 yards for this match with kill zones ranging from 3/8 of an inch up to about 2 inches. Unknown distances, laser rangefinder only allowed in Unlimited class. We typically set up a 13 lane course (2 targets per lane, 2 shots per targets so 4 shots per lane for a total of 52 shots). No entry fee required but donation of $10-20 (typical FT match fee) greatly appreciated, or really whatever you can afford will be appreciated.

The pistol FT match will follow AAFTA rules.

Silhouette match to take place around 4pm on the Friday evenings, rifle field target to take place at 930AM on Sat mornings, and the pistol ft match will take place in the early afternoon on Saturdays (after tallying scores from the AM rifle match and a bite of lunch). 

Come shoot any combination of the 3 events. 

Some of us will be camping for each of these weekends-open invitation to anyone to join in. I enjoy the camping and talking airguns as much as the shooting events.

This location is about 2.5 miles off the pavement but passenger cars have made it in the past and camp trailers have also made it to every event. There are no facilities and cell phone service requires a couple hundred yard hike to a slightly higher elevation ("unplugging" for a few days is also a favorite part of this location). If you enjoy the outdoors, airguns, and good people, this event is right up your alley. 

Here are the GPS coordinates: 33°43'27.9"N 108°58'16.7"W

And directions: On HWY 180, about 9 miles south of the tiny town of Luna, NM turn west onto Forest Road 209. The turn off is at mile marker 14. Follow FS209/Saddle Mountain Lookout Road about 2.6 miles. FS209 is gravel road. Luna is just a few miles over the AZ/NM state line from Alpine, AZ. 

luna.1646353309.jpg

Any and all questions about the above are welcome and I'll do my best to get them answered for you.

Reactions: judorichard
Forgot to mention that Rex has acquired some more targets. If I got the details correct, he bought some face plates from Rhino and welded them to the mechanism from some of the Rat on the Run targets. They look really good and should be fun to shoot! 

Rhino.1646407314.jpg

Oh, he also bought some springs that were suggested by somebody on one of the forums as helpful in getting the Rat on the Run mechanism to function with less hiccups. 

Got this from Rex a few hours ago. The last of the new targets painted all purdy. Nobody paints a field target to the same level of detail as Rex. Quite the treat to shoot at these. Really fun to range on, with all that detail to give you something to focus on. 

rex targets.1651032397.jpg

2nd weekend of May is just around the corner-start making plans to attend. 

May match is in 1 week! 

I work about 90 minutes from the match site, at a similar elevation and the weather up here has been absolutely beautiful for the last few weeks. Perhaps a bit windy but for the past week or so, high temps have been in the mid 70s, with lows in the mid 40s. So that should be about what we see next weekend at the match. 

I've been in contact with some shooters that are planning on attending and looks like the first might filter into the camp/match site as early as tues or weds, with a handful more arriving on Thursday. I'm planning on rolling in there around midday on Thursday. 

I'm really looking forward to it! 

Feel free to message me if you have any questions. 

The June match is back on!!!

Further clarification was sought and obtained from a closer ranger station to the match site. We explained what we do and where we do it and were told that there are no current restrictions to "dispersed camping." or shooting of airguns in that area. 

Sorry for the confusion. 

(we do still need to follow the restrictions on open flames and operation of anything that produces sparks, but those have been in place for all the matches we have up there).

Got this from Rex a few hours ago. The last of the new targets painted all purdy. Nobody paints a field target to the same level of detail as Rex. Quite the treat to shoot at these. Really fun to range on, with all that detail to give you something to focus on.

View attachment 200817

2nd weekend of May is just around the corner-start making plans to attend.
Those targets look amazing. Well done! I wish I was able to get over but I'm in Bakersfield, California. Do you know of any similar shoots held over my way? Thanks!

Those targets look amazing. Well done! I wish I was able to get over but I'm in Bakersfield, California. Do you know of any similar shoots held over my way? Thanks!
I'll tell Rex you appreciated the work he puts into the paint job on the targets.

I'm not familiar enough with field target in California to know if any are near you, but Motorhead is your go-to. Real name is Scott but he goes by Motorhead here on AGN. He shoots quite a bit of field target over there in CA and can answer your questions. Shoot him a direct message.