• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Results Southwest Airgunners Aspen Mtn July 2023 Match Report

We had the final Aspen Mtn match of 2023 this past weekend, and true to form, it was a great time.
unknown lane.jpg

next photo is same lane as above, but zoomed in on the three targets.
zoomed.jpg

The competitions kicked off on Friday evening with a silhouette match. We use 1/5 scale silhouettes, and two chickens at each distance. Rex set em up at 50, 60, 70, 80 yards again. 80 yards is getting WAY out there for sub 20fpe, especially for the wind we dealt with during the match. NOAA forecasted gusts in the 15-20mph range and I'd bet they were all of that, and also switching back and forth between nearly every shot. On top of that, we had our first failure to fall with a 20fpe gun. And it happened to be me. I nailed a ram at 80 yards and he didn't go down, but rather just knocked backwards about 1/2 an inch, barely enough not to fall off the target stand. Learned my lesson...when we do 80 yards instead of 70, I'll be using the .20 instead of the .177 from now on.

Silhoutte Scores
  • Rex J 36/40
  • Kent G 35/40
  • Steve Q 33/40
  • Bobby C 33/40
  • Cole R 32/40
  • Franz D 32/40
  • Dan L 29/40
  • Colben R 28/40
  • Larry F 27/40
Silhouette heats in the next three photos...
silhouette first heat.jpg

silhouette second heat.jpg

silhouette 3rd heat.jpg

Rifle Field Target

Sat morning was the rifle field target match. We'd set a 60 shot course on Friday morning, 10 lanes, 3 targets each, 2 shots per target. Near and middle targets would be used for the pistol course Sat afternoon. And yes, a couple were slightly illegal for a true AAFTA pistol match, but hey, we're not AAFTA, just a bunch of friends who enjoy field target, doing it the way we want.
There was some requests for distances, as at least one of the competitors wanted to compare the distances he arrived at by range-by-focus to the actual distances. So this table has the distances as well as the kill zone sizes and troyer factors. Overall T for the course was a 34.6, again putting it in the "expert" category, per the Troyer chart. The yellow highlighted were the highest T's and I included stats for each shooter in the results tables.
course layout.jpg

buzzard.jpg
buzzard zoomed.jpg

jay.jpg

mosquito.jpg

owl.jpg

quail.jpg

scorpion.jpg

I've said it before, best painted targets of any field target match, nationwide.

Here are the results.
ft rifle score.jpg

Steve and I were tied for high score. Rex set up 5 of the 1/5 scale chickens at 55 yards as a tie breaker. Steve and I had 1 minute to knock them down, one shot per chicken. I missed my last chicken, and had 15-20 seconds to spare. Steve missed his 3rd chicken and ran out of time, not getting a shot off in time for his last chicken. I always prefer a shoot off over breaking the tie by the arbitrary "first miss" or "longest streak." My opinion: shoot offs are the most fair way to break a tie, by far. Because mathematically, a tie is a tie, each shooter knocked down the same percentage of targets during the match. And shoot offs are just fun, for the two in it, and for the rest of the field of shooters.

Pistol FT Match

A good number of us had to pack up and head home so there were only 4 pistol competitors this match.
Rex = 32/40
Kent = 20/40
Franx = 19/40
Keldon = 13/40

(Too many photos for one post so next post is the continuation of the match report)

Reactions: BC
It's been said that the people are what makes field target what it is, so the rest of the match report is going to center on them.

This first one is Ben and Ote. This was Ote's first ever match. He was squadded with Ben and in typical Ben fashion, he took Ote under his wing and gave him the best intro to ft anybody can get. In fact, Ben sacrificed the match to help Ote, not finishing the course himself. From the story I got, Ben returned to the sight in area, rezeroed Ote's gun and got some basic dope data, then returned to the course with a much better prepped gun for Ote. This is what field target is all about, sharing the fun and teaching others. Hope to see Ote at many more matches.
benandote.jpg

This next one is Bobby C lining up on a target, with Jeff (Ote's Dad), Ote, and Barry in the background, and Dan and Chris even further back, at a different lane.
bobby c.jpg

And here we have Franz in the ready position.
franz.jpg

My son Cabe found a curved oak to play on during the match. I've always wondered what makes these high elevation oaks curve over like this and Kent taught us that the heavy snowfall weighs them down and then they stay that way.
oak.jpg

Steve Q making sure that bear target is going to function properly.
qwast and the bear.jpg

Rex got this one of me and my sons plinking away under some shade. Man we shot a bunch of pellets this weekend!
plinking.jpg

That wraps it up for the match report. Huge thanks to Rex for putting this all together a few years ago, and continuing to dedicate the time and efforts each summer. Also need to thank all the set up/tear down crew...many hands make light work. Thank you guys. And finally, thank you to each and every competitor that attended...can't have matches without participants. We appreciate your willingness to travel and have fun together.

Until next year.
Cole

Great write up Cole and a great time was had by one and all!!!!! That was one of the best course layouts I have shot. The tighter course layout and additional targets made for a very enjoyable shoot. Chris was a newbie and shared my equipment and he actually shot pretty well. He shot his last two lanes hitting 5 of 6 and cleared all 6 on the last lane. It takes some hard concentration to keep all of your process steps dialed in when shooting from a stool and sticks. He really started getting his routine down by the end of the match!! I hope to see all of the newbie's become regulars in the future!!!
Thx
Dan

Reactions: Nofilters
Rex, the match organizer plans matches for May, June, and July only for the year. Multiple reasons including hunting and work commitments. Also, he plans these matches up in the mountains to help us valley dwellers get out of the heat for a short reprieve! The local clubs in the valley generally do not hold matches in the summer. Rex also does not wish to hold matches that would conflict with the other local clubs which are holding regular matches in the valley.
I'm with you Scott, these matches up in the mountains are the best and I wish there were more!!!
P.S. all those dark shady spots present challenges for us thin reticle shooters:D
Thx
Dan

Hey Cole - What gun is your son shooting?

Also, I agree with the shoot off. Last year at the Mormon Lake shoot I went down a position as Van had a longer streak, but we both missed the exact same targets on the standing lane. So he took higher because he was one station behind me to start. I'm not complaining, but just showing how the longest streak is not a good determination for a tie. Good write up.

I am trying to see if there is a way to have an XFT shoot up here near Flagstaff.

Hey Cole - What gun is your son shooting?

Also, I agree with the shoot off. Last year at the Mormon Lake shoot I went down a position as Van had a longer streak, but we both missed the exact same targets on the standing lane. So he took higher because he was one station behind me to start. I'm not complaining, but just showing how the longest streak is not a good determination for a tie. Good write up.

I am trying to see if there is a way to have an XFT shoot up here near Flagstaff.

Colben shoots a Taipan Veteran Short in .20. It's a bit longer than a factory Vet Short, as that's how I requested the barrel be machined.

Cabe shoots a Vet Standard, in .22.

Would be AWESOME to have an XFT match in the Flagstaff area. Count me in, as long as work schedule allows.

Nice report Cole, looks like you guys had a great time and just perfect weather for the weekend without any sign of monsoon activity, very jealous that I didn’t attend. You are on fire with that Ghost, think you need to start shooting it backwards while using a mirror to give others a chance! Liked Ben helping the youngster Ote, he is a great ambassador to the FT sport.

Nice report Cole, looks like you guys had a great time and just perfect weather for the weekend without any sign of monsoon activity, very jealous that I didn’t attend. You are on fire with that Ghost, think you need to start shooting it backwards while using a mirror to give others a chance! Liked Ben helping the youngster Ote, he is a great ambassador to the FT sport.

It was a touch warm, but fairly pleasant in the shade. Rex made a point of finding the deepest shade for each lane marker and that really helped. But yes, unfortunately the monsoons didn't materialize. Although, Iive about 2hrs away, also at high elevation, and we had a nice little monsoon shower come through yesterday right before dark.

The Ghost .20 really is firing on all cylinders right now. We've meshed well.