• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Sound deadening material inside shroud?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it help at all to stuff some sound deadening foam or fabric in the open area of the shroud, especially with a big vented air stripper?

I know the expansion area in front of the muzzle makes most of the difference, but im making an air stripper that will be dumping the initial blast backwards into the shroud and making chambers in the rear section of the shroud for the air to foil through.

Would putting felt or something in those chambers reduce the DBs any more than just venting the air into those chambers?
I wrapped my barrel in scotch bright pad inside the shroud. With a buckrail ldc screwed on the end of the shroud it was totally quiet. I was using the one designed for the avenger on my liberty which uses the same barrel shroud.

I wrapped my barrel in scotch bright pad inside the shroud. With a buckrail ldc screwed on the end of the shroud it was totally quiet. I was using the one designed for the avenger on my liberty which uses the same barrel shroud.
I've heard that those pads will work. Hair curlers foam is also a good one to use.

Reactions: Bandito
I think I have some in an old single 12 box down in my basement lol.
Single 12 was always my go-to. The last slamming stereo I built, single 12 Orion NT2 I pushed so hard listening to Bone Thugs "Wind Blow" that it welded the voice coil to the former. Sent it to Orion for repair and they sent me back an XTRpro and told me to try to blow it. Never did with an 1800 watt mono class D driving it. That was 2008 and to this day my nephew still bumps that sub with a bicycle tire patch on the surround where my dumb azz jammed a screwdriver through it. The only thing blown was his gd mind when we hooked it up.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
Single 12 was always my go-to. The last slamming stereo I built, single 12 Orion NT2 I pushed so hard listening to Bone Thugs "Wind Blow" that it welded the voice coil to the former. Sent it to Orion for repair and they sent me back an XTRpro and told me to try to blow it. Never did with an 1800 watt mono class D driving it. That was 2008 and to this day my nephew still bumps that sub with a bicycle tire patch on the surround where my dumb azz jammed a screwdriver through it. The only thing blown was his gd mind when we hooked it up.
Good Ole days right? I had 3 10" rockford fosgate hx2 in a bandpass box with the subs magnets facing outward inside the glass enclosed section, and they pushed into their ported area. Had 1800w rms @ 0 ohm load. It hit so hard it broke my sunroof track in my cavalier z24! You couldn't breathe with the thing turned up, and t would blow girl's hair around. It helped knock their clothes off sometimes too lol.

I'm half deaf in my left ear now though, so there are pros and cons!

• Haha
Reactions: Bandito and GenXer
Good Ole days right? I had 3 10" rockford fosgate hx2 in a bandpass box with the subs magnets facing outward inside the glass enclosed section, and they pushed into their ported area. Had 1800w rms @ 0 ohm load. It hit so hard it broke my sunroof track in my cavalier z24! You couldn't breathe with the thing turned up, and t would blow girl's hair around. It helped knock their clothes off sometimes too lol.

I'm half deaf in my left ear now though, so there are pros and cons!
So I hate to turn this I to a car stereo thread but the similarities to this story are uncanny...

The way I got the NT2 was that my buddy had a z24 Cavvy in which we had mounted 2 of the NT2's upside down, using the spare tire well as the enclosure. We'd play Zapp and Roger's "Grapevine" or, Mariah Carey "Always be my baby" (shiz buuummmped iykyk) so loud it felt like the back half of the car was going to break right off. It eventually ripped a giant hole in the tire well and he had to drop down to one sub, so I got the other one.

... Half deaf in my right ear now 🤣

STO sells foam for shrouds to dampen the sound. He talks about the pressure waves. https://www.silentthunderordnance.com/air/shroud-damper

IMG_20190412_211924996Ecropped.jpg

I've been making moderators for years and stuffing moderator space will NOT reduce sound volume. It will change the sound signature, but not the volume. Of course everyone is welcome to reinvent the wheel if they wish. Using an inverted cone baffle and large expansion volume is the magic ticket to sound reduction.
Correct. Internal volume and deflecting in back into the shroud will reduce the DB. The PING or PONG noise is very audible in some shrouds, which makes it a more noticeable sound to the ear. Making that more of a flat tone would help reduce the perceived noise. Some shrouds even have an echo to them, like AEA guns.

Which rifle and buckrail? The $20 mini buck was a fail on my .25 gauntlet over 3d cones. Thx

I've been making moderators for years and stuffing moderator space will NOT reduce sound volume. It will change the sound signature, but not the volume. Of course everyone is welcome to reinvent the wheel if they wish. Using an inverted cone baffle and large expansion volume is the magic ticket to sound reduction.
BINGO!!!!!! I made all sorts of baffles and fillers in the past.
One cone at the end of the moderator and one for the end of the LDC with a good air stripper in the moderator.
Multiple baffles/cones and fillers aren't needed at all, if the end cones are made the right shape.
All aluminum .035" wall tube moderator and .070" wall LDC = Extremely light weight.
This design makes my .25 cal. shooting 86+ FPE just stupid quiet.

As I said, I used it on a liberty. It's the avenger's older brother. I used a .25 cal moderator on my.22 but the barrel shroud got twisted and it clipped bad enough to blow it apart. It was still the quietest of any of my airguns. By the way, my liberty is putting out around 52 fpe.
I missed the Liberty part, there is a discussion on GTA over one. I'm at 900 fps @ 45.67 fpe with 25.39 or 819 @ 50.67fpe with 33.95. I may mess with hammer spring down the road. I measured my tank, 1700 psi, went to 1900 and everything went to crap. Lol, back on trak, might have a used DFL next week but have to get $45 adapter (!) if I go that route, plus $50 for the Donny. All this just be quieter for paper punching, at the house, over the 4-3d printed cones...

Get the buckrail avenger dlc. It screws right on the shroud and all you need to do is drill 2, 1/16 holes toward the bottom of the shroud by the receiver.
Got the $20 mini Buck, 4 -3D cones and a $200 (total) Donny KOI , they all FAIL. Next to the house, they measure 109db+++. My dinky $50 TDK on a very loud Disco .22 runs at 95db which is now my favorite backyard friendly rifle next to the Talon SS. Now I could boom up to bigger Donny but spending $200 plus on a $200 rifle is a hoot. So, Koi returned then next best, $8 worth of 3D printed cones installed back into the Gauntlet for anything but backyard use until I find something cheaper. Yeah, the barrel shroud holes, I tried them last year, Lol, like the ones I did on my 15 year old Talon SS, not worth the effort as to any (measurable) effect.

Buckrail a great outfit, Chris wrote that I would not be happy with the bigger Buck, but they always trying new ideas. Told me to keep the mini Buck but send back If I wanted to chance their Big Buck. As to Donny FL, 10 or so suppressors but have not found a site that links which suppressor for how quite you need it for your particular rifle. An actual user or roll of the dice to the level of suppression your wanting? Still looking, if you make your own, email me. Thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.