Sorted some JSB Monster .22 RD's

20220627_132229.jpg
I head sized and sorted 2 tins. The label shows they were made in 2019 by die 60. Although the head size label says 5.52, virtually every pellet in the 2 tins sized 5.57, which shows the consistency of that die. I have sized the latest JSB monsters and have gotten 5.52 up to 5.58 and everything in between in the same tin, but there is no longer info on the tin to know die or date. The pic shows how the 2 tins weighed out. From 24.9 up to 25.9 with majority 25.2 - 25.5. Another reason if your shooting paper for score...you better size and weigh...shooting stuff, not so much.

Head Size: Although the head size label says 5.52, virtually every pellet in the 2 tins sized 5.57.

Weight: From 24.9 up to 25.9 with majority 25.2—25.5.

JSB,
shame on you.... 🤦🏻‍♂️

And you dare to state the pellet weight with two digits after the decimal, 25.39gr — to make us think the weight is precise up to the hundredth of a grain....

Matthias

Reactions: tibor
I have sized the latest JSB monsters and have gotten 5.52 up to 5.58 and everything in between in the same tin, but there is no longer info on the tin to know die or date. The pic shows how the 2 tins weighed out. From 24.9 up to 25.9 with majority 25.2 - 25.5. Another reason if your shooting paper for score...you better size and weigh...shooting stuff, not so much.
That variation in diameter strongly indicates that they used different dies for that batch/lot. I cast pistol bullets for my powder burners, been doing for 35 years. After casting I size them through a swage die. They all come out within 0.0005" of the nominal die diameter. There CAN be variations in diameter using different lead alloys but as long as you use the same die you'll still get the same precision and consistency.

Regarding weight of projectiles, in my experience as long as they are all within 1% or so of each other there won't be a noticeable drop in accuracy. At least that is my experience with cast bullets for powder burners.

I am ignorant of the means and methods of making airgun pellets. Are they cast then sized in a die? press swaged? Just don't know. I know I have seen molds for sale to make airgun slugs but never diabolo style pellets.

I am ignorant of the means and methods of making airgun pellets. Are they cast then sized in a die? press swaged? Just don't know. I know I have seen molds for sale to make airgun slugs but never diabolo style pellets.
One thing that stuck out to me was, one press presses 4 pellets at a time and it takes 2 1/2 seconds to make those pellets...and they make 1 million pellets a month. It's amazing they are as accurate as they are...I like to watch this video when I start to complain about JSB pellets.😁

Last edited:
Richieg,
FYI - I also have some FX 25.4 gr, .22 cal pellets sorted by weight, did not head size them either. Not quite the fluctuation in weight as the JSB.
And, they shoot equally as well in my Red Wolf .22 HP as the JSB MRD's.
View attachment 272450
The FX pellets are made with the same dies that make JSB pellets. That is mentioned in the factory video. What they did say was...each brand of pellet FX or JSB, each will have the whole batch run for that pellet independently from the other brand. That way each batch or brand is consistent. So JSB batches won't be mixed with FX batches or vice versa.

Reactions: douger
I tried many things with these MRD's and got to a conclusion that the pellet size difference (5.52-5.53-5.54-5.55) is more critical vs the weight difference of 1 grain (25.1-25.2-25.3-25.4-25.5-25.6).
But a problem I have is,
the new .22 pellet gauge what I received recently - the lazer cut left some micro burr on edges, and I can call it = not to the specs engraved for each hole. So I am using it as a go-nogo only. Unless take some fine grit sandpaper and rework it to -> god knows what size again.

Reactions: BSJ