• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Sorted Some 25.4's Kings With Results

Yup, I had time on my hands, politics on TV.. I sorted by weight a new tin of JSB Kings 25.4gr. The extreme range was 25.08 to 25.82, though not many on either end on of that range. With a large number being in the 25.4,25.5 and 25.6 I may roll these to sort a little bit further. I'd like to know how much difference in POI, in a controlled environment say a 25.3 would differ from a 25.6 or 25.7 at 80 or 100yds. I tried altering the grains in Chairgun to find out but apparently it's not set up that way. Would 3 or 4 tenths of grain look like a flyer or a pulled shot? Here's my sorted lot of pellets. 25.10's-25.20's in the far left bin, 25.4's in the middle and 25.8's furthest to right in the tin lid. The scale I used was the AWS Gemini-20. It's proved to be a consistent and repeatable little scale.
JK
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l540/kingji01/Miscilanious%20Photos/IMG_2847_zpsndwjpleu.jpg

i doubt you'd see any useful shift in POI at 100 yards with only a change of a couple of tenths of a grain. My experience has show me that rolling and sizing made a bigger difference that weighing.

I might suggest this...

Start at 40 or 50 yards. 

Shoot 10 right out of the tin

Shoot 10 that weigh the same

Shoot 10 that have the same rolling arc. 

I would be really interested in your results. Keep us posted. 

FE7565, I was really surprised the velocity would show that much difference between the two weights but I confirmed that its pretty close. I topped off my Vulcan to 220bar and shot five pellets to get the regulator woke up and lined out. Then I shot four of the lighter pellets and four of the heaviest. Here is how that turned out..
Max difference was 14fps. Probably not a big deal at 50-60yds but shooting for distance it would come into play. If nothing else it would explain some wide ES in shot strings and maybe cause some one to try and tune it out.
Oh, still haven't figured out how you were able to change Chairgun weights. I can change them but when I hit return or click on something else my POI data or velocity is not changing. Maybe I need to update.
jimmy

Wake up shots

25.04gr 890
25.14gr 887
25.14gr 886
25.04gr 887

25.76gr 880
25.78gr 878
25.80gr 876
25.84gr 879

"fe7565"Chairgun says that if you shoot a JSB 25.10gr pellet at 880fps at 100 yards, you get a -12.824in POI drop.

If you insert the same type pellet now weighing at 25.8gr , your MV will drop to 868fps and your POI will be -13.271in. That's almost a half inch difference at 100 yards. The zero is set at 50 yards.
There is no certainty that the velocity will actually drop with the heavier pellet. Velocity change is a function of many factors including weight. The end result it that these minute variations tend to sometimes smooth out differences and sometimes exaggerate them. There is a vertical stringing applet in Chairgun that can help to understand the differences in POI relative to velocity. What it can not do is also consider the small changes in BC that come with pellet weight and dimension changes. That applet and the statistics applet work nicely together.

"davecole"i doubt you'd see any useful shift in POI at 100 yards with only a change of a couple of tenths of a grain. My experience has show me that rolling and sizing made a bigger difference that weighing.

I might suggest this...

Start at 40 or 50 yards. 

Shoot 10 right out of the tin

Shoot 10 that weigh the same

Shoot 10 that have the same rolling arc. 

I would be really interested in your results. Keep us posted. 

Rolling showed only two distinguishable groups out of the pot of 25.4's, pretty consistent there..

I made a little progress on my sorting experiment. On 10/18 the wind died down to just an occasional breeze so I grabbed my FX 500, the sorted pellets and commenced shooting. I started with three groups of five with pellets straight from the tin. Second roll was the same number of groups and shots but with weight sorted pellets. The last set of three was weight sorted and rolled. I almost didn't post these results because something was definitely not going well with either my shooting or the gun. My groups were all over the place for a easy 50yd shooting session. The results as ugly as they are does show a trend though of the weighed and rolled grouping the best.

I cleaned the barrel that evening and shot these this evening. Apparently my 500 is liking a freshly cleaned barrel now. Much better!! I was out of the rolled pellets but the top roll is unsorted and the other two rolls are sorted just by weight. Not a whole lot of difference in performance here, hopefully I can finish up with some rolled one of these nice evenings when the wind isn't blowing.

Thanks guys, I need to sort a few of the ones I've already weighed by rolling and if there not any noticeable difference in those two groups with a clean barrel I just leave at weighing them and checking them for any physical abnormalities. One thing nice about the 25's is that there's ONLY 350 in tin and not 500! and they are easier to handle. lol.
Jimmy