Sorted 1000 FX 25.39 pellets

Once again I sorted a bunch of pellets. These were JSB branded FX. The majority were 25.4, 25.3, 25.5, 25.2 respectively. The spread was from 24.9 to 26.0. My thought on sorting ...if your shooting steel, stuff or pests your needed accuracy may be good enough not sorting. But if you're shooting paper the pellet spread will be a deal breaker....the farther out you go.
20221215_085856.jpg

I got sick of doing all that, and STILL getting the occasional flyer. Probably better to sort like Mike Niksch does and find good LOTS of pellets, then buy a couple years' worth. Problem with that is unless you buy them by the CASE, you won't know what the lot number is. It's not on the can, and it's not on the 5-tin sleeve or box.
Better still, sh!t can the .22 RDMs, eject them from your life, and shift to .25 King Heavy, either Mk1 or Mk2, depending on what your gun likes best. I shot my RW at EBR for both 75-yard qualifiers, and the 100-yard final, and had ZERO flyers. It was time to fish or cut bait, and I made the correct decision when shifted from .22 to .25. Not only do they have a slightly better BC, but they are slightly easier to see in flight, and on the targets. I did sort mine but there were two piles, 33.7 to 33.9, and 34.0 to 34.2 grains. Out of two tins (600 pellets), only 25 to 30 were outside that range. And I didn't bother head sizing at all...

I got sick of doing all that, and STILL getting the occasional flyer. Probably better to sort like Mike Niksch does and find good LOTS of pellets, then buy a couple years' worth. Problem with that is unless you buy them by the CASE, you won't know what the lot number is. It's not on the can, and it's not on the 5-tin sleeve or box.
EXACTLTY...
But how can the regular shooter, do what you suggested. NOW the pellet tins don't have the tags on the back that show the information you need...press, date,ECT. So you buy a case, No way to tell how many different lots are in that case. Maybe if you're a good old boy in their club, you may be allowed to shoot a tin out of different cases that come in and then choose which shoots best. But for those in the real world, that can't and won't happen. So you sort, ECT. and yes it does SUCK. BUT if your goal is paper accuracy it is a necessary evil.

But how can the regular shooter, do what you suggested. NOW the pellet tins don't have the tags on the back that show the information you need...press, date,ECT. So you buy a case, No way to tell how many different lots are in that case. Maybe if you're a good old boy in their club, you may be allowed to shoot a tin out of different cases that come in and then choose which shoots best. But for those in the real world, that can't and won't happen. So you sort, ECT. and yes it does SUCK. BUT if your goal is paper accuracy it is a necessary evil.
Exactly. The “recommended” method of some “influencers” is not achievable by most. No one I know can do the “find a good shooting lot, then buy a lot of them” method. I’m not sure which world these guys live in…. That’s why I decided .22 RD Monsters were a losing proposition.
Also, the total fallacy that flyers are always caused by the gun and never the ammo is ridiculous and insulting.

Once again I sorted a bunch of pellets. These were JSB branded FX. The majority were 25.4, 25.3, 25.5, 25.2 respectively. The spread was from 24.9 to 26.0. My thought on sorting ...if your shooting steel, stuff or pests your needed accuracy may be good enough not sorting. But if you're shooting paper the pellet spread will be a deal breaker....the farther out you go.View attachment 313823
@Richieg
I get your point. Sorting has advantages.
Tune, barrel, gun, pellet, slug, temperature, elevation, accessories, scope...Etc...can all play a big part in the over all performance and personal accuracy requirements of each gun. No question.
Input here is priceless.

Patrick

I was shooting groups and a pellet was hanging out of my mag a little and when loading it put a small crease in the head of pellet . That pellet was a flier and around two inches away from the group. No doubt small imperfections or pellet size makes a big difference.

I've had good luck with the 26gr Apolo Monsters. And the older jsb jumbo Monsters 25.4gr. The Apolos are around half the price of the JSBs.
20221219_090736.jpg20221219_090754.jpg

I played with pellets, this afternoon. It's raining, rather cold for here, 38 degrees and 94% humidity so need to stay in. I got all my pellets out, I keep two of the old WWII side opening ..50 cal ammo boxes( as compared to the newer end opening versions) one for .22 and one for .177. I lubed the unsealed tins with HBN powder, and found myself combining tins. Some of the Crosman tins labeled 250 pellets easily hold 500, ect ect, Eliminated about 12 of the tins and made some more room. I did make sure to only combine same lots , or at least what I think was same lot numbers.