• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Results đźŚµSonoran Desert GP Final Results!

BA849FA6-766D-4DAD-B1CF-2F997B8761A0.1646659254.jpeg

5A080359-3679-414C-882C-F4CE5B1E65E7.1646530422.jpeg

Thanks Garret and all who helped with the match, and main sponsor AOA, and the others that donated stuff as well!

Great weather, temps, and the desert at this location actually looks nice this time of year.

It seemed to me the Yellow course was easier than the Red course and on day 2 the wind was quite switchy, I personally just couldn't get a handle on it - the string on my gun was about worthless for the longer targets, lol??!!

Congrats to all the winners, and those who placed, but especially to my friend Kent!

Big day for Daystate, JSB and kahles. Up to a 20% improvement for some shooters on day 2, except for the unlimited class who shot a lower score. Did they get a later start and therefore more challenging wind for their second round? 

Very impressive work everyone!

Yeah the red course was more difficult. It had more far shots. The wind was stronger on day one gusts about 10-15 mph. 

My buddy Wayne was kind enough to detour and pick me up on his near 2300mile voyage with his two other team members to the match and back (various health issues preclude solo long trips for me) and we had a fine time for four days. Wayne built a small camp trailer just for the event allowing us to haul all sorts of ft related stuff with ease and a couple of us a place to sleep when it was unloaded!

I had a great time shooting and hanging out with the fine crowd FT shooters are. Had a little trouble getting around with gimp ankle and knee, but still had tons of fun. A little screwup with my windage know somehow turning itself (likely due to a change in gun handling during transport as a result my leather carry strap rotting out, and hasty repair ) cost me quite alot on day 2, but I corrected, soldiered on, and enjoyed the day despite my poorer score.

I used a new smaller and lighter gun (50% lighter, 20% less powerful) I built for the occasion, and it really worked well, but the ancient leather carrying strap I added at the last minute turned out a poor choice. But a lockable windage knob and better strap is on the todo list and the rig will fix the issues! I was very happy to see no important poi changes due to the much lower temps at sightin than later in the days in the warmth. I carried a tiny 45 cubic inch air fill tank and it sufficed to top the gun at midpoint each day, and barely used 300psi … it looks like I could have topped up that gun many, many more times.

Winds were strongest on sightin day, but still strong on day one, lessening, but becoming much more variable on day two. The red course I shot on day two seemed more difficult than the yellow, despite less wind strength, mostly due to frequent direction changes.

Great course, no target malfunctions I noticed, and well organized crew made it a fine event!

LD

I think Garrett said the red course was a 32 troyer and the yellow was a 29 troyer. The hunter class was by far the largest class and they shot the red course on day one when the wind was stronger and the yellow course on day two. All other classes shot the yellow course on day one and the red on day two.

Garrett and crew did an amazing job as usual. Everything went real smooth and efficiently. We had a great time camping out onsite. I'm so glad we detoured a little to pick up LD. He made the camping and BS sessions way more fun as usual! It's really important to enjoy the moments... as many as we can.. right?

The winds are really hard for me to read at this site, but I talked Larry into selling me the gun he built for the Nationals last year, and that USFT's tune and barrel are just amazing. It's super dependable as a tube gun with no regulator and very consistent shot to shot, and that slow twist poly is the best I've seen in the wind. It usually only gets about 40 shots, but I shot the whole 60 shot match on one fill, because it was cold when I filled it and the warming day built the pressure as I shot through the match. I fill it to 1,450 and re-fill at 1,125 or so, but it still had 1,225 when the match was over. I didn't see any POI changes from the cold morning to the warm afternoon. I'm really pleased... Thanks so much LD!

It was a really long journey but, it was totally worth it. Thanks again Garrett and crew for hosting a super well run event!

Wayne

Big day for Daystate, JSB and kahles. Up to a 20% improvement for some shooters on day 2, except for the unlimited class who shot a lower score. Did they get a later start and therefore more challenging wind for their second round? 

oakhonor,

Yes, Daystates are great air rifles, and almost half the competitors were shooting one of them, so the odds of "Daystate having a big day" are really high. You might also notice that there were only three USFTs competing and one shot the second highest score and two made it to the awards, and all three made the top ten. just saying:)

Wayne

By the way my new friend Kent shot amazing with a non electronic Daystate, the least expensive one they sell I think, and shot the highest score, matching the unlimited class and top shooter Steve M. with a 107. One point better than my USFT.

oakhonor,

Yes, Daystates are great air rifles, and almost half the competitors were shooting one of them, so the odds of "Daystate having a big day" are really high. You might also notice that there were only three USFTs competing and one shot the second highest score and two made it to the awards, and all three made the top ten. just saying:)

Wayne

By the way my new friend Kent shot amazing with a non electronic Daystate, the least expensive one they sell I think, and shot the highest score, matching the unlimited class and top shooter Steve M. with a 107. One point better than my USFT.

Wayne,

Yes, I think nowadays MOST of the guns often selected for FT use are capable of winning when in the right hands, assuming no gun problems. But sometimes a potentially accurate gun doesn’t fit well, or weight is wrong, or its so complex internally a competitor needs to have it “gone through” before the next big match.

That said, I prefer my design because I incorporated features that allow it to be more stable in weather (no wood warpage issues, T6 aluminum scope rail and barrel block is the same material as most scopes tubes to avoid expansion/contraction differentials), easier loading procedure that allows quick peek at pellet in breech and immediate safe condition by opening breech and or decocking exposed hammer. A gun that is easily adjusted to fit the user in a number of positions allows a relaxed aiming, and I built my gun to allow custom fit to about anyone in any position. I like a gun that doesnt need really high pressure to function well, and feel its easier to learn to fill the gun according to its tune than deal with the eventual regulator issues that are the alternative.

Now amazingly, the Thomas rifle seems to mimic much of my gun design almost to a “tee” in many respects and its benefitting by this, I feel. It took 15 years for it to happen, and its not identical, but STILL ……

Yes, the Daystates are doing well too … after all, they have been building Daystate FT rifles since late eighties, and they know a thing or two ... AND, Arizona has a large, responsive, well stocked airgun store that specializes in Daystate guns, and has been around for several decades.

I like most all airguns, and have owned and shot many models in Silhouette, Field Target, and Benchrest. There is room for all (though many a Marque is not so suitable for benchrest).

Not arguing your post, just saying more credit needs go to the pilot, not the ship. You did really well in that match, and it was your ability to adjust your rig to your style and needs, in ORDER to shoot your best that helped bring it together last weekend.

LD

Yes, Larry, I agree it's got to be a combination of a good shooter with a fairly accurate gun that fits them well so they can be really comfortable while trying to be steady while you figure the wind, and break your shot.

A guy like Kent who I really enjoyed shooting with on Sunday could have, in my opinion, won with a well tuned Marauder, Kral and a few other $600ish air guns. He is really good at ranging, reading the wind, being attentive to his routine, holding steady, positional shots, and breaking his shot with follow through. If he didn't do anyone of those things really well, then his chance of winning with the most accurate (1/4" ten shot groups at 50 yards), Daystate, Raw, Styer, Thomas or USFT would be really low.

I think if one can do all those things consistently, then they can win with a gun that only shoots 3/4" ten shot groups at 50 yards.

I'm really only a decent shooter with 15 years experience and an accurate gun in the wind, that fits me perfectly so I can do most of those necessary items above... some of the time:).

Wayne

Kent is a heck of a FT shooter, and a heck of a guy. He is consistently at or near the top of the monthly field target events here in the Southwest. 

Wayne, funny you mention the Marauder. Kent has cranked up a couple different Marauders for high power FT and used them himself as well as his brother in law and nephew for the XFT events, and has done quite well with them, often scoring higher than much more expensive guns. When he first started coming to the regular field target matches a couple years ago he was campaigning a Marauder, and he shot high scores with it too.Â