Sometimes torn

Before you start reading this understand this is not meant to be critical of anyone else.
Does hunting ever bother you some? I shoot Starlings all the time, my main game by far, and that does not bother me at all because they are nasty little creatures that are an invasive species (at least on this side of the pond, thank you very much all you Brit Shakespeare lovers). I have a place where I will be pesting ground squirrels this spring/summer and I don’t think that will bother me much at all because they are so over populated. I also have a friend, well friend of my parents to be more precise, that has a marmot problem she wants me to help out with. I am going to help her with that and I think it will tug at me a little to kill them, they are not hugely over populated like the ground squirrels, but their digging is destructive.
A couple years back I was way down in a canyon that is used only for camping and fishing, and a friend and I were doing a little shooting of a .22 LR pistol I have. A grey squirrel came within range and so I exterminated it. After I started thinking about how it was not in an area where it was a nuisance to anyone, was not destructive. I thought it just wanted to come out and see what we were up to and I killed it. It made me fell a little bad.
Is that normal? Is it okay that I justify (and even celebrate) the killing one one species, the Starlings (man I hate those things, and love to kill them), but don’t like killing something else?

I don't kill critters that aren't pests to me. The squirrels, chipmunks and chucks on back of my property are safe from me. But those within forty yards of the house? Depends? Any critter getting closer is my dog Riley's job. Only pest I kill without remorse are rats, and sometimes I even feel bad for them. Feeling a little bad shows your humanity, which is a good thing.

I have hunted all my life and enjoyed every minute of it. I was raised to eat what you kill and except for the elimination of invasive, destructive critters that is still what I do. I dislike all the behavior I see on a lot of hunting shows. It is like they just scored the winning touchdown or something. Most of the time there is no mention of using the resource for it's intended purpose, which is to feed us. I believe that we should always remember that the animal gave it's life so that we could live and there should be a certain reverence for that. Most importantly, I belive we should be Thankful to our Creator for all that He has provided for us and the opportunity He provides to enjoy His creation. With all that said, I see nothing wrong with how you feel. And just be careful to not pass judgment on others based on feelings. Hunters, trappers, fisherman...with whatever legal weapon is used, we all should stick together!

For sure. I am in no way passing judgement. I sincerely hope it is not taken that way. I was just kind of wondering if others feel conflicted also or like me are inconsistent, not felling any remorse for some critters, damn Starlings, while feeling so for others. I kind of wished I lived in the Florida area where I could hunt iguanas as they are another invasive and harmful species that I think I would enjoy hunting. And from what I remember from an old 80’s song by Wall of Voodoo barbecue iguana is not bad.

I feel bad watching game animals suffer, but for some reason I don’t feel as bad for destructive pest animals like rats. Thankfully, I work to shoot more precisely so that whatever the animal is I am able to dispatch it quickly. I’ve watched hunting videos on YouTube and I recall one where a man shot an animal, picked it up, sat it down, and squatted down next to it to speak to the audience while the animal was still slowly moving (rolling from side to side and moving its leg in the air). I’m not talking about quick, jerky, reflexive movements. Seeing that really bothered me. It also bothered others in the comments section some of whom also expressed disgust. This guy didn’t seem to care. I was repulsed because that sort of crap gives hunters a bad name to people who don’t realize that that was one unethical young man behaving poorly. True enough animals are killed by one another and some are eaten while still alive, but that’s not what a hunter is out to do.

While hunting sometimes I look at animals as snacks or food and so long as they don’t get away I’m satisfied by putting meat in the freezer. I honestly prefer to deal death quickly understanding that the animal’s life will benefit my body and I’m thankful for it. It’s also gratifying to pull off a DRT shot. I get a rush of adrenaline on a hunt sometimes and I think it’s pretty typical. I enjoy that too. Other times I just go through the motions like brushing my teeth. At the end of the day I’m a predator, killing doesn’t bother me too much, but prolonged suffering can get to me. I don’t want to be the one meting it out. Killing for fun without a practical purpose was something I did when I was younger and didn’t have the type of respect I’ve grown to have for life at this stage of my life. 

It is good to feel sorry about killing or wounding an animal that is not causing destruction or is not a nuisance.

The fact is I release about 80%of the keeper fish I catch when I know they will survive.

Killing for killing's sake got old for me, that does not mean I do not kill, just that I do not take joy in it anymore.

It is an individual thought,I have no problems with other people hunting or killing nuisance animals.

It is a choice...

When I was 13 I was really Gung hoe for killing a deer. My marksmanship was very good at that point in my life because I had a dad that loved me enough to teach me. He also told me that when I did shoot my first deer that excitement and jubilation would not be the only feeling I would feel. I didn't believe him. Well when I finally got a chance for a deer in the very difficult area to hunt in CA it was a 300 yard shot on the run. In my 13 year old mind I could do it..... And did. However I gut shot the deer and it was laying down kicking and screaming in the brush. It took me what seemed like forever to get to it and end its misery. Lesson learned. I will never take a shot at a running deer farther than 30 yards or so. Anyway every animal I kill I feel a bit of remorse for. Even pests. I eat what I kill and accept the feelings as a requirement for ethical hunting practices. That doesn't mean that I don't scream yes! and hi five my dad after we make a good kill. It does mean that those feelings are normal. I don't have any remorse for rats and mice but I still refuse to use sticky traps because causing fear and unnecessary pain is just mean. Those feelings you are having are normal and you should listen to them..... Just don't let them turn you into a tree hugger😂🎄

I eradicate pest animals on a number of agricultural properties (or attempt to). The damage they cause is clearly evident there. I feel no guilt because I know what I'm there for & doing my job. We moved a couple years ago to a house with a sweet little back yard. I noticed that the ground squirrels were using it for a "highway" to get to city property behind us & in the 1st summer we lived here I picked off 4 of them. Something about it felt "off" to me. I realized that I never gave a thought to WHY I shot them. They weren't (& still aren't) causing damage in my yard, just passing through. That "off" feeling I mentioned was my conscience I guess. There was no reason to take their lives here at home. They're not causing any damage to yard or plants & they're just being ground squirrels doing what they do. I'm glad I can still hear that inner voice talking to me. I hope I always do. So they & the rabbits get a pass here as long as things remain status quo. Out in the field it's another story! They're incredibly destructive, can carry diseases, etc. At home it's peaceful coexistence til something changes. It's OK to not pull the trigger & at times ok TO pull the trigger. That inner voice, hopefully, will let you know. 

I have often seen an 18 wheeler going down the road with a load of cattle, chickens, goats, or swine and had the same remorseful feelings knowing that they were headed for slaughter. I have the same thoughts even seeing them being raised & knowing they are destined for slaughter. I even feel for the dairy cows. Having said that I know that the ethical raising & slaughter of said animals is necessary. Killing of wildlife is a necessary management tool. Without careful thought out harvesting of the wildlife, some species would/will become over populated and die a cruel death of starvation and disease as well as causing many other environmental/economic/agricultural issues. Wildlife populations thus must be controlled by ethical harvesting for their on good. Also nuisance & invasive species must ethically be removed. In order to survive, some animals instinctively prey on other animals in the wild, That is not pretty and is often a slow agonizing death for the prey being gutted & eaten alive. Any killing is not pretty. We just need to strive for a quick and ethical kill. To have remorseful thoughts just shows the compassionate quality you have for the animals. That is admirable. There should be no shame.

I have no issues with killing starlings. Squirrels when they are doing damage. However, this year I used a suppressor on my .243 for deer. I was able to stay in the scope and see the impact and watch thru the scope the death. Impacts were amazing to see but was kinda unnerving to watch such an animal with the will to live, absorb the energy from the projectile and take its last breath. Killing and hunting comes with some bad shots on occasion and the death will not be pleasant. 

Their cute to watch jumping around chasing each other. Problem is you can’t watch them 24/7. 4 of my last 5 properties they did damage, 2 serious. My last house now rental, they chewed through 3 of 4 roof vents. They also got into the trusses of my commercial building (flat roof). Chewed through facia. Not pretty to say the least. There’s no way, if a squirrel comes within springer range, 35 yds. game over. 3 1/2 yrs. ago I got my first springer for squirrels after my buddy showed me his HW80. Crow 

Once you experience the damage any pest can do, no matter how cute they may be, it becomes very easy to eliminate them with a pellet.

Also, have you ever seen the agony pests go through when they ingest poison? Not pretty and there is always the possibility of secondary/unintended kills to pets, etc. that may eat the poisoned pests.

So, although I understand feeling a little regret, at first... If you truly have a pest problem, that goes away quickly once you actually experience the damage and have to pay to have it repaired.

I do try my best to dispatch ALL pests as humanely as possible when I shoot them. That means taking the time to be accurate/precise in my shots and knowing where to hit them for clean, quick kills to minimize suffering as much as possible.

JMHO

It is NOT NORMAL if you don’t feel bad about killing something without reason. I have zero issues dropping squirrels and even woodpecker if one decides to drill holes into my house but if they are not destroying my properties then I will not shoot them. 

similar situation: I was camping in the sierras and there was a FAT ground squirrel just waddling around our camp site. I didn’t want to kill it because it’s not right in our camp area(flees & plague) but boy it sure was tempting fate though. I had my target setup on a stump at 25 yards and that GS was literally sitting right in front of it. So I shot few inches to the left, right and above it but it didn’t bother move at all! The target is no more than 3-4 feet behind it and it sat there for like 15 minutes while I shots literally all around it. Cracked me up! 

If ground squirrels or chipmunks are in your camp site area then you might want to move or kill them because they have flees and could carry the plague. At the very least cover up al the rodent holes with rocks. 

It is NOT NORMAL if you don’t feel bad about killing something without reason. I have zero issues dropping squirrels and even woodpecker if one decides to drill holes into my house but if they are not destroying my properties then I will not shoot them. 

similar situation: I was camping in the sierras and there was a FAT ground squirrel just waddling around our camp site. I didn’t want to kill it because it’s not right in our camp area(flees & plague) but boy it sure was tempting fate though. I had my target setup on a stump at 25 yards and that GS was literally sitting right in front of it. So I shot few inches to the left, right and above it but it didn’t bother move at all! The target is no more than 3-4 feet behind it and it sat there for like 15 minutes while I shots literally all around it. Cracked me up! 

If ground squirrels or chipmunks are in your camp site area then you might want to move or kill them because they have flees and could carry the plague. At the very least cover up al the rodent holes with rocks. 

Damn son! You are CAMPING!!!!!

YOU are in THEIR living room. NOT the other way around!

The fact that you even considered killing them as a pest while camping says a LOT about you. And it isn't good.

@backatop: yes and no. We don’t have too many “wild” camp sites beside the desert so even middle of no where in the sierras we always camp at spots people “frequent” or well established because trees had to be cleared to have any space at all to camp. Also any ground rodents are KNOWN to carry the plague with multiple confirmed reports each year. I will not take any chances with my kids getting the plague or leave them there so other people could get the plague. Had that ground squirrel gotten within 5-10 yards of our site then he would of been smoked too but he didn’t however he clearly had no fear of humans. A lot of people feed them so they really aren’t wild anymore by the way they “run” through camp sites. 

If we go down your logic where you live used to be their living room too. LOL!!!