Sometimes I Just Leave The 350 N Tec On The Gunrack

After probably 300 rounds its still dieseling and throws pellets all over the place. Any pellet. Today I must have been in the mood for a challenge so I took it out on the porch and began to plug away at my 30 yd target. No surprise the first few shots went up to 4 inches in some other direction than I was aiming. I kept at it. Reacquainted myself with how it wants to be held, tried several pellets but finally came back to the AA Diabolo Field 16 grain in .22 cal. 5.5mm which do the best in the 340 and the AA.

After about 30 shots she showed signs of trying to put pellets where I wanted them. 4 or 5 would be good and then she'd throw one 2 inches off. I shot maybe 20 more times and she actually almost performed. Still dieseling. You can smell it and if you look down the barrel from the breach after a shot its as brown as the worst smog you've ever seen. I put up a 1 inch black dot and decided to get serious. After 4 or 5 shots I raised elevation about 4 clicks. Below is the result. This is a breakthrough with this gun. Never before have I been able to do this. Only thing I can think is the dieseling is lessening.

1ad9a022f0a18e9a82bf7a90fd36d26a.jpg

I know it's not much but for this gun it's a monumental achievement.

Knowing little about spring rifles years ago, I didn't know what to expect when I went to fire my RWS 48 for the first time. Well, the thing really did diesel on my very first shot - it sounded like a rimfire .22! The second shot lessened to about half, and after a few more shots, it was firing normally. I would find out later that some residual oil in the chamber from the manufacturing process causes this in new guns.

Unless you're hearing that louder-than-normal "crack!" when firing, I wouldn't consider your gun to be actually dieseling after 300 shots. Most of my springers "smog" the barrel after each shot (love that smell) but I do not consider that dieseling. If your gun is dieseling for real, consider what you're using for cleaning the barrel and/or chamber lube and make sure they're the right stuff. I like Balistol for the barrels, and generally don't lube the chamber, though maybe I should.

Regardless, it looks like you're 350 is smoothing out nicely.