Something to beware of when trying out slugs, regarding lead fouling

Resently I tried some slugs out of my taipan veteran in .177. Not that I expected good results from it, but wanted to try anyway. After that I cleaned the barrel with patch worm. When I went back to pellets, I had some really bad fliers, and the grouping was not as good as before. Tried leading up the barrel, but it did not help. Since I had not changed anything on the gun, I suspected the slugs may have left some ressidue which I was not able to remove. I ended up removing the barrel from the gun and used a bronse brush all the way down the barrel. Then cleaned again with patchworm. After reinstalling the barrel, the gun was back to normal. To me that confirm my suspicon that not all can be removed with patchworm only. Had I not removed the barrel, I would probably not been able to clean it properly with a brush without ruin the O-ring. Apart from that, my taipan is probably one of my guns which require less cleaning, and I have never experianced lead fouling in before, when shooting pellets.

In some instances, lubing the slugs can help reduce lead fouling by quite a bit. Of course there are variables but I lube all of my slugs because the gains can be significant and the downside, minimal. Something to consider next time you test out some slugs.

Stoti

I tried some NSA slugs, first in my FX wildcat, and then shot some mags in my taipan. They seemed to have some lube on them, so I wanted to try them as they are in the bag. Think I will stick to pellets only in this gun, which work well. qball is probably right, that this barrel is not designed with slugs in mind. There is no easy way to clean the barrel with a brush, the entire length, without removing it. That is not something I will do, as it requires to loosen the barrel clamps. Probably best to leave it on.

Out side of smooth lands in FX and Polygon barrels slugs are known to foul up the barrel to a point where pellet accuracy is ruined without a bronze brush deep cleaning. Slugs have much larger contact surface area so it would lead behind a lot of lead in between the lands.

Is this why I was told to never shoot slugs out of a choked barrel?