• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Something interesting in silencers

I tried another filler today.

I have a few motorcycles. Along with that comes various jackets. Sometimes, when a jacket's seen better days and it's time for replacement, I occasionally save the foam pads (forearm, shoulder and back).

I had a forearm pad on a table, and at a glance, I thought...hmm. Most pads have two densities, softer on the inside and harder foam or plastic on the outside. I pealed the softer foam from the harder foam, It JUST fit into the Tatsu body. VERY tightly.

Anyway, after finally getting it back together, I put it on the Walther Reign. Interesting again... While I don't think it is actually any "quieter" than the original felt, it's definitely a lower pitch sound. I swapped back and forth a coupla times (unmodified Tatsu) to verify what I was hearing. The lower pitch sound is easier on the ears. I think I'll leave it in place, as is... That's funny, cause I may never get it...apart..!

Mike

...curlers but if you want ones with drilled aluminum tubing go to Rite Aid.

I looked online for the aluminum curlers at Rite Aid. Do you remember what they look like, or brand, etc?

Sorry. I'll check tomorrow and give you the brand and sku

Thanks. But don't go just for me. I can also check. 

Edit: this may be it. https://www.riteaid.com/shop/conair-rollers-thermal-self-grip-body-curl-12-piece-set-0305226?gclid=CjwKCAiA_Kz-BRAJEiwAhJNY7_-D8jKjLjc3p0-m9HnlpDdJyUfGds935PD0viVibQrANT1anB473hoCtZIQAvD_BwE

That link is the one from Rita Aid. Both brands have an exterior that is basically the 'hook' part of Velcro so it grabs felt nicely, maybe ScotchBrite too?

20201206_041024.1607257148.jpg

20201206_040135.1607257179.jpg

The upper 3 look fine but the bottom 3 looks like they not gonna breathe freely enough and not make full use of the inner LDC volume. Scotch brite type material is good because it breathes unlike foam where takes up unnecessary space. May as well build a skinnier LDC if using foam or any kind of non breathe through material. Even too much felt is counter productive Restricting airflow just taking up space and been doing this over 35 years Experimenting with every kind of sound dampening material even 0000 steel wool. Active baffles using springs is next level for highest power silence. Can't find good breathe through curlers screen mesh 1/4" diamond pattern roll.around dowel to form wire mesh cage wrap scotch brite around.

Using scotch brite had be a staple of airgunners for a very long time now. TA few things to watch out for. One, purchase the pads "Without" abrasives. You don' want abrasive particles going back into your barrel. Not even a little. (Dollar stores usually sells the non abrasive version ultra cheap. (white scotch brite has a fine polishing compound in it). ( I use to buy huge roles of the different grits of it directly for my cylinder porting business). I still have a lot of it, sadly all with abrasives in it. GRRRRR!!!!

Another thing, the plastic curlers are easily destroyed in a high power pcp application. I make my own from alu. tube and mill the slots in. Lastly, use a fine screen, I use small stainless screen material between the baffles and the scotch bright or felt/foam. It will keep the materials from fragmenting and getting in the path of the pellet/slug.

Knife

Knife - 

ALL Scotch Brite (and cheap brands) is abrasive..! That's the point of it..! If it doesn't clean, why would anyone use it ? Actual...Scotch Brite vs. cheaper brands may have differing amounts of abrasive, but they all have some sort of abrasive.

And yea, if you read my original post, I tried two different grades (light grey and the grocery store green), neither were any quieter than the original felt that comes in the Donny's.

Mike

Using scotch brite had be a staple of airgunners for a very long time now. TA few things to watch out for. One, purchase the pads "Without" abrasives. You don' want abrasive particles going back into your barrel. Not even a little. (Dollar stores usually sells the non abrasive version ultra cheap. (white scotch brite has a fine polishing compound in it). ( I use to buy huge roles of the different grits of it directly for my cylinder porting business). I still have a lot of it, sadly all with abrasives in it. GRRRRR!!!!

Another thing, the plastic curlers are easily destroyed in a high power pcp application. I make my own from alu. tube and mill the slots in. Lastly, use a fine screen, I use small stainless screen material between the baffles and the scotch bright or felt/foam. It will keep the materials from fragmenting and getting in the path of the pellet/slug.

Knife

Knife,

Are you saying that an abrasive compound of some sort is impregnated into the Scotch-Brite pads, and that the pad material alone is non-abrasive?

Justin

I have tried many different materials also and in my testing I found the quietest to be a very thin shelf lining material. They come in all different thicknesses and patterns. I found that the really thin one, wrapped three times around the core of the DonnyFL worked the best. The material is very similar to a soft foam ear plug. A similar product, which can be as effective, if you find the thin type, with a tight mesh/design, is anti-slip carpet pads. Same principle.

Justin -

That is the SOLE reason for Scotch Brite to be in existence..! This is what it was designed to do...scrub dirty, rough surfaces. There is NO...other reason for this material.

Not that difficult to understand - Just look it up...

Mike

Mike,

I don't think I need "look up" Scotch-Brite pads to understand their purpose, having used about eleventeen-thousand pads to clean/restore 5 lathes, 2 mills, 2 surface grinders, and a metric ass-ton of support tooling, amongst other things. What I want to know is if it is impregnated with a grit of some sort, or if the fibers that make up a Scotch-Brite pad are in and of themselves abrasive. A synthetic steel wool, if you will.

Grit comes loose. And grit of any sort is not good for machine tools, and that is why I ask.

And there is myriad uses for Scotch-Brite pads beyond scrubbing dirty, rough surfaces.

Justin

Allz I can confidentially say is AZ's LDCs/Shrouds are unequalled bar none when it comes to absolute SILENCE. You talking just like dry firing a PCP with ZERO AIR in it just the click and hammer slapping the valve (totally degassed). Now the white scotch brite type material he uses in his builds IDK EXACTLY WHAT it is but I have guns over 25 years old with his LDCs and Shrouds still going and dead silent with the same scotch brite type material in then Falcon UK copied the design with a similar looking white (if not the same) scotch brite type material in their silencers and they were the quietest for their relatively skinny size compared to much fatter ones bar none. They were like mini AZ LDCs that really made PCPs ridiculously quiet.

Try completely gutting out any of the Donnys and replace with 2 to 3 cut hair curlers wrapped with non abrasive scotch brite separated by a couple of washers the last chamber to exit hole having the largest expansion chamber.

You be surprised after you take a couple of shots. Then spray some oil inside to wet the scorch brite and shoot again.

It's the hair curlers or screen allowing the thing to breathe better thus quieter.

WANNA use foam wrap the foam on the OUTSIDE of the LDC tube wrapped with duct tape after replacing the guts with hair curlers and scotch brite.

Not going for a beauty contest here just quiet that works.