• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Someone talk me down...

Ok, technically I'm relatively new to airguns, not counting my Daisy 717 from decades past that still works fine. But I've been on this forum for 2.5 years, wow it's been that long.....anyway, I've got a Sapsan .22 and a couple of Mavericks one of which is a project gun. The VP is a .25 so that base is covered, my project Mac is a .25 sniper, abused by a previous owner, now a .22 Compact and working great. I'm thinking of getting a .17, need one of each flavor right? I honestly don't want to spend another 2 grand on a gun basically because I've got a wee bit of Scottish blood in me and I'm cheap. So, I'm open to suggestions. I'm very familiar with the Mavericks as some know so it would be an easy acquisition, I'd probity get a VP, I like the barrel length and I think it's be suited to a .17. But, I'm not adverse to trying something else, preferable lighter. So...have at it guy/gals.

Oh I should have said, I think for this one I'd like a nice wood stock. I've got plenty of metal guns, my old favorite is a .22 Remington Target my uncle gave me as a lad and my Mrs. Marlin that I refinished the stock on.

Last edited:
I've fooled around with a couple of FX rifles in .177 cal. While my 22s, 25s and 30s work great, the .177 cal was so so as far as accuracy was concerned. Being a competition shooter in a lot of .177 areas, I feel there are better choices. In the lower priced area, the Daystate Revere in either regulated or non-regulated is great as well as some various Air Arms rifles like the AA 510 or HFT 500. The top tier rifles would include the RAW TM or HM 1000 or Daystate Wolverines or Red Wolfs. I'm sure others will have their suggestions too.

A few options that are very inexpensive, less talked about/favored, and comparable in form factor to the Maverick VP, depending on your preferred cup of tea..

Stoeger bullshark xm1 - 479$ from Stoeger https://www.shopstoeger.com/airguns/30436.html (heard great accuracy out of box)

Spa P35 - 432$ from krale https://www.krale.shop/us/snowpeak-p35/ (probably not great out of the box and needs TLC, debatable, and out of stock for .177 for now)

Spa M60 500-600$ http://www.snowpeaksports.com/series/details/158.html

AGN Vixen long 1,000$ krale or 1500$ AoA (out of stock at the cheaper source/krale) https://www.krale.shop/us/agn-technology-vixen-long/

Just a few to consider.

-Matt

I've fooled around with a couple of FX rifles in .177 cal. While my 22s, 25s and 30s work great, the .177 cal was so so as far as accuracy was concerned. Being a competition shooter in a lot of .177 areas, I feel there are better choices. In the lower priced area, the Daystate Revere in either regulated or non-regulated is great as well as some various Air Arms rifles like the AA 510 or HFT 500. The top tier rifles would include the RAW TM or HM 1000 or Daystate Wolverines or Red Wolfs. I'm sure others will have their suggestions too.
I'll throw in the hw100 as well

Reactions: Vana2
What!?! No FX Royale? You know me, the Bobcat, Boss, Royale "poster child"!

If you’ve never had a Huntsman, it’s worth a look. It can get you into a wood stock.

I had a Mav Compact 177 for a few months. It was good, but not great. I think the platform is better suited for 22 and up.

IMG_9776.jpeg

I'll throw in the hw100 as well
This.... just bought one off classifieds .177. 1st 2 pellets tried JSB Heavies and Beeman Kodiaks both shoot tiny 5 shot groups at 32yds. Kodiaks shoot 1/2 in lower but centered with JSBs. They also shoot almost 50fps faster. This was with a 3 shot zero no practice then shot the groups gun is super accurate and doesnt seem to be pellet picky.

• Love
Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
Ok, technically I'm relatively new to airguns, not counting my Daisy 717 from decades past that still works fine. But I've been on this forum for 2.5 years, wow it's been that long.....anyway, I've got a Sapsan .22 and a couple of Mavericks one of which is a project gun. The VP is a .25 so that base is covered, my project Mac is a .25 sniper, abused by a previous owner, now a .22 Compact and working great. I'm thinking of getting a .17, need one of each flavor right? I honestly don't want to spend another 2 grand on a gun basically because I've got a wee bit of Scottish blood in me and I'm cheap. So, I'm open to suggestions. I'm very familiar with the Mavericks as some know so it would be an easy acquisition, I'd probity get a VP, I like the barrel length and I think it's be suited to a .17. But, I'm not adverse to trying something else, preferable lighter. So...have at it guy/gals.

Oh I should have said, I think for this one I'd like a nice wood stock. I've got plenty of metal guns, my old favorite is a .22 Remington Target my uncle gave me as a lad and my Mrs. Marlin that I refinished the stock on.
Can't go wrong with a daystate huntsman revere. Especially the safari edition. Many shoot them in field target.

Reactions: HogKiller
You said wood stock? Dreamline Classic is a nice gun and you stay with FX. Same magazine as the Maverick, so if you ever get a barrel kit for the Mav, you’re covered.

You can pickup a .177 Wolverine R from AoA for under your dollar threshold. I can hardly shoot mine as I have to pry it out of my wife's hands! It works great for HFT and is a laser for pests (small) out to 75 yards. Mine is set at 150bar and it is getting 18fpe with JSB/FX 10.34gr pellets. Fit and finish go without saying. I've had zero problems with the gun and can highly recommend it.