• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Someone dropping 5k in PCP gear.. how much should u have saved/make?

It's all relative really...

When it comes to hobbies, some sports car enthusiasts spend 5k annually just to service their mostly garaged exotic car/s. Some long range precision shooters spend at least 5k annually just on ammo and barrels - if you include the cost of travelling and competition, the costs go much higher. Hunting enthusiasts spend that much with the outfitter per trip. Fishing enthusiasts spend that much per weekend chartering a fishing boat... I could go on and on, but you get the idea. 

If you ask me, PCP and airguns are probably one of the more affordable hobbies around. Cheating on your wife costs 50% of your net worth, so there's that.... 

Bear in mind that there are folks spending 5k per month per kid sending their kids to private boarding schools or college...

Some perspectives for Friday. :)

I told my wife I was going to buy a pellet gun. She said "OK". One Omega Turbo compressor, FX Impact .30, range finder, air tank, ATN4K... and by by 5K. I'm not in trouble since she said it was "OK"... At 7 cents a shot and thousands of rounds later it's already paid for itself vs. my .308. Make sure it's something you are actually going to use and enjoy before you drop that kind of money.

I think quarantine is messing with my mind. Thanks guys for all the input. I just realized 5k is 25,000 rounds of 9mm ammo... maybe I'll just stick to the powder. I never thought of that and was thinking it would be cheaper to shoot PCP.

Agree with you here, all your powder burners are appreciative assets which gain value year after year. Except that they don't unless they are rare, well maintained, unique, and not mass produced. I'd comment on ammo but I'm caressing Sears & Roebuck .30 carbine at the moment that still cycles just fine :)

I'm investing in comic books and baseball cards, surely they'll be worth a fortunue in another few years.

One point you're forgetting though -- the time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time :)

I think quarantine is messing with my mind. Thanks guys for all the input. I just realized 5k is 25,000 rounds of 9mm ammo... maybe I'll just stick to the powder. I never thought of that and was thinking it would be cheaper to shoot PCP.

Agree with you here, all your powder burners are appreciative assets which gain value year after year. Except that they don't unless they are rare, well maintained, unique, and not mass produced. I'd comment on ammo but I'm caressing Sears & Roebuck .30 carbine at the moment that still cycles just fine :)

I'm investing in comic books and baseball cards, surely they'll be worth a fortunue in another few years.

One point you're forgetting though -- the time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time :)

Guess it's the perceived value because like you said, time I enjoy isn't wasted time. I'm not a bench shooter and I wouldn't enjoy shooting from a static position, I ping steel and do combat drills. Was trying to find a cheaper solution for the increase in ammo price but when places like MrHollowpoint charge more than actual ammo, it's laughable. 

The Huben and the Texan SS seem like they'd be kind of fun. I don't think the Impact has enough FPE for it to be fun for me. 

Guess it's the perceived value because like you said, time I enjoy isn't wasted time. I'm not a bench shooter and I wouldn't enjoy shooting from a static position, I ping steel and do combat drills. Was trying to find a cheaper solution for the increase in ammo price but when places like MrHollowpoint charge more than actual ammo, it's laughable. 

The Huben and the Texan SS seem like they'd be kind of fun. I don't think the Impact has enough FPE for it to be fun for me.

I have to ask what kind of combat drills are you going to do with a long assed single shot Texan?

PCP shooting is cheaper if you buy a .22 and shoot pellets. You can shoot match grade pellets for 3 cents each or bulk ammo for less than 2 cents each. .30 caliber slugs are a specialty item for coyotes,prairie dogs, and small wild bore. A .30 is not what we are plinking with, although some people pay a little extra to shoot .25 pellets. If you do insist on shooting slugs, pick a gun that shoots machine made slugs like NSA. I'm sure the MR.. Hollowpoint slugs are nice, but even the guy making them would think you're nuts for plinking steel with a hand made slug.

I say it's your money and if you can afford to, then go ahead and spend it how you wish. $5K is a good number for a solid investment into PCP with one really awesome rifle and scope along with compressor, tank and all the other fill equipment required.

.22 is a solid platform. .30 is a lot of fun, but a bit much for every day shooting unless you live on 100 acres. I never found much interest in .25.

I have to ask what kind of combat drills are you going to do with a long assed single shot Texan?

lol drills are for the 9mm and AR not PCPs. I don't have a Texan yet and I can't see using it in a drill unless MAYBE a Pistol to Rifle transition, guess in that scenario it would work if you reset after the one shot. Would be interesting considering the Texan SS is 10" longer than a standard kitted out AR with 16" barrel. 

I say it's your money and if you can afford to, then go ahead and spend it how you wish. $5K is a good number for a solid investment into PCP with one really awesome rifle and scope along with compressor, tank and all the other fill equipment required.

.22 is a solid platform. .30 is a lot of fun, but a bit much for every day shooting unless you live on 100 acres. I never found much interest in .25.

My backyard is about 20 feet lol. Guess living in the big city I'm lucky to even have that. I drive out to BLM a few times a week though, now with quarantine and no traffic been getting out much more. 

Not seeing any Hubens or compressors in stock but I did just snag the new Vortex 1-10x so can't wait for that

I dunno, 9mm sounds expensive for combat drills, why not just get a hand-held impact drill with a 1.5" carbide paddle bit and run towards your target? You can yell "bang" loudly while running towards your intended point of impact and save a crapton of money along the way? No need for PCP, no need to dump $5K, no need to survey capital earnings, and it could be fun if you close your eyes, scream loudly, and run fast enough? :) :)

Edit -- Forgot to add the smiley.

My backyard is about 20 feet lol. Guess living in the big city I'm lucky to even have that. I drive out to BLM a few times a week though, now with quarantine and no traffic been getting out much more. 

Not seeing any Hubens or compressors in stock but I did just snag the new Vortex 1-10x so can't wait for that

Then maybe just go for a fun CO2 plinker for backyard use. Something like a Diana Chaser or Webley Nemesis is perfect for that distance and your startup costs will be under $200 for pistol, pellets and targets.

I've probably spent that much over a couple years. Between a Marauder, pump, scopes, Impact, Compressor, bottles, pistols, and everything else, I've probably spent that much, but over 5 years. I did a lot of learning along the way.

If I were buying new, and absolute top end (for my standards), it'd be something like an Impact ($2000), Scope ($400 or $500), Bipod ($300-ish), bottle and fill station ($400 to $900), pellets and other accoutrements, I could spend $4500 without much trouble, if doing it all at once. Must say though, that half the fun was getting it a bit at a time and learning along the way. Whatever you do, good luck and have FUN!