• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Someone dropping 5k in PCP gear.. how much should u have saved/make?

5K all at once probly seems like allot. Most of us start out with far less and then once the addiction has us in it's grasp we are lulled into spending more and more until we have spent the whole 5K and then some. 5K for two guns a compressor + tanks and gear is actually fairly reasonable. Depending of course on the equipment you get. I have a bit more than that invested in two guns an Impact and an SK-19, a Yong Heng compressor, a Great White tank and a water filter. But I spent it over a two year period so I would not feel so bad about it. If you have the money it's not a problem it's there to spend and you can't take it with you when you go. Just let the addiction be your guide. ;^) Oh, and like YO is trying to say below Happy Wife Happy Life. ;^)

Compressor , Tanks-as in more than 1 , 2 PCP's sounds like you picked up high end gear that will work for a while. Unless we know the brands and size tanks , no one can accurately answer this. for example

hong yeng compressor , 2 guppy tanks , 2 gauntlets - approx $1500 i'm guessing 300 each unit vs

bigger compressor 1500 , 2 great whites new 1800 , 2 FX wildcats new 2600 for 5,900 bucks , so yea , it's easy to fall down the rabbit hole.

Everything is expensive today! If you are sure you will "use" your guns and equipment, and you can afford the expense, no issue at all, five grand is "beer money" compared to some hobbies! I've been into stereos, bass boats, and cars in the distant past, get good "stuff" and if the hobby dosn't work out for you sell out and recoup some of your investment, if you lay awake at night and worry about the expense of a hobby you may want to stay away entirely. I would council someone to be out of dept have a good emergency fund in the bank, (3-6 months of living expenses) and a steady job before getting a lot of "unnecessarily stuff".

The question is somewhat vague. You are asking about spending what some may consider a large sum of money while others are able to spend it at the drop of a hat.

The balance of the question is more about personal economics 101. You need to talk to a personal finance manager about that.

However, I will bite and offer my bit of extemporaneous knowledge.

But first, let me ask the question; 

Weird or guilty?

If your kids are going hungry or you’re not going to make utilities or house payment because of it, then yeah, that would be weird (and irresponsible) But if you have the money, who should care?? 

If you bought a U-haul full of Gamo break barrels, yeah that would be weird. If you were to give them to all the kids in the neighborhood, that wouldn’t be weird.

My neighbor owns a Range Rover. I drive a Chevy Traverse. I can easily afford a Land Rover however; I choose to drive my Chevy and buy other things. He can sit in his garage and admire his Range Rover while I load up my Traverse and go on a two day prairie dog hunt (which I will be doing in a few weeks).

I don’t work for the sake of working. I work for the sake of making money so I can afford nice things.

And BTW, flaunting what you have amassed in air gun inventory could get you flamed on the forums.

ENJOY IT!!

I guess I'm just feeling weird buying airguns since I'm pretty new to it all. I've got 10x that in powder burners, but I actually view those as tools and know no matter what those will hold value so not worried. 

At first I was telling myself I'm only getting into PCPs because ammo is expensive... but shooting 457 and .30 and any caliber sold by mr hollowpoint is actually MORE expensive than 9mm... so I think I'm just trying to fool myself lol. No idea how just a lead bullet under 100g is more expensive than 124g bullet plus powder plus brass plus primer is. 

Just a curious question because I feel a little weird dropping 5k on 2 PCP's compressor and tanks and gear.. just wondering what you guys think?

Don't feel weird.

It's only money.

Earn some, save some, spend some.

Which 2 PCPs did you get?

Pictures!

Matt

Haven't pulled the trigger yet because nothing is in stock. I was looking for a new Huben, an Impact and a Texan SS. Also there are no compressors in stock either. Seems nothing is in stock except slugs and pellets. 

I think quarantine is messing with my mind. Thanks guys for all the input. I just realized 5k is 25,000 rounds of 9mm ammo... maybe I'll just stick to the powder. I never thought of that and was thinking it would be cheaper to shoot PCP.

Have you ever shot PCP?

Lots of PCP owners/shooters in CA.

It would be easy to get a taste if you haven't already.

Matt

Air guns are great for anyone that likes to shoot,,,heck I was a marble champion,wore out knees of all my pants my mom finally got me double knee pants.

Point is Skill,,,Basketball,I do not care...to shoot something is to live.....yes, my favorite thing to shoot my custom .45s,just can not do it in my backyard.

I do know many people like to shoot a specific "thing"...not me! One skill can be used in another skill...

Mind Body integration helps in All aspects of life, especially health.

You can also start smaller if you'd like. One of the quality bullpups in the $1500 range like the Taipan Veterans, Kalibrgun Crickets or Airgun Technology Vulcans. Or a rifle stlye like the FX Royale 400 or Daystate Regal XL. Those guns are pretty much set to jet out of the box where as the Impact or Huben take some tuning. Can always pick those up later if you find you really like the PCP game and got some experience under your belt.