Some suggestions on deciding which first PCP

Of the rifles mentioned, I believe the HW100 is the best quality, and by a significant margin. It also has a much better trigger. I just tuned down my HW100 to around 14 fpe (.177), and it's a back yard dream to shoot, and shot count is now much better. But it depends on your priorities. The HW100 is relatively low on power and shot count, by modern US demands. It's heavy. I usually advise a new shooter against any FX rifle (except the old Royale), but admittedly, that's my prejudice.

Fx impact for me . 22 knockouts 955 fps 
20210912_075908.1644679119.jpg

Yet only two years into airguns, would I get into PCPs at this point, knowing what I know now (not a lot really), I would jump for an HW100 SK, walnut stocked. Shoots great straight out of box. Topped with a lightweight Optisan CP or USO TS-12-like optic should be good-to-go for years. Recently got six coats Tru-Oil onto mine and is a sweet-lookin' rifle.

My personal advice is to not buy an airgun, but buy into a platform as your needs will change over time. For instance, purchase an airgun that allows caliber changes. Even if you have only shot .22cal forever and don't think you need to ever change, having a gun that allows that change will be cheaper than buying a new gun from scratch. 😃

Also, purchase an airgun that has a lot of aftermarket upgrades available. Even if you love you gun bone stock, the ability to tweak your platform over time is invaluable.

With these things said, I have made my next airgun purchase the FX Maverick VP .30 cal. I chose this caliber, as I want something powerful, but not as powerful as my Benjamin Bulldog .357. I also wanted something shorter so I would have an easier time when hunting. My first modification I plan to buy is the 500mm barrel in .177 and the 300cc carbon fiber air tank so I can handle startling elimination duties with lots of shots in a super small package.

Hopefully this point of view helps!

Thank you to everyone for the tons of information. I really do like the Taipan Veteran's statistics. I shoot and love many CZ powder guns. The only drawback to me would be the bullpup configuration. Those are some really sweet rifles Cannonball!

The Air Arms has been mentioned a few times, and I am thankful because I did not know enough about it to consider it first.

Also, thank you Batman2 for the links, and details of some of the US made rifles that I was unaware of!!

Thanks to everyone on this forum for the available info., and especially to those who have replied!!

Air Arms makes a pretty decent air rifle and being able to adjust the power (within it's set limits) is a bonus.

Thank you to everyone for the tons of information. I really do like the Taipan Veteran's statistics. I shoot and love many CZ powder guns. The only drawback to me would be the bullpup configuration. Those are some really sweet rifles Cannonball!

The Air Arms has been mentioned a few times, and I am thankful because I did not know enough about it to consider it first.

Also, thank you Batman2 for the links, and details of some of the US made rifles that I was unaware of!!

Thanks to everyone on this forum for the available info., and especially to those who have replied!!

Air Arms makes a pretty decent air rifle and being able to adjust the power (within it's set limits) is a bonus.

Yeah, kind of, I guess. These kinds of "power adjustments" have always impressed me as mostly gimmicky. If you just want less power, then yes, it works. But the plenum is charged with the same amount of air, under the same pressure with each shot. So the only variable, where does the air go? In these systems, it goes either down the barrel to power the pellet, or, it's bled off. So, there is no air conservation, and no balanced tune. But maybe it helps sell rifles.

Yeah, kind of, I guess. These kinds of "power adjustments" have always impressed me as mostly gimmicky. If you just want less power, then yes, it works. But the plenum is charged with the same amount of air, under the same pressure with each shot. So the only variable, where does the air go? In these systems, it goes either down the barrel to power the pellet, or, it's bled off. So, there is no air conservation, and no balanced tune. But maybe it helps sell rifles.

I've seen some online tests that say they get a higher shot count turning down the velocity, but maybe they are just lying to everyone. Regardless, turning down the power for something in a barn and then going back to regular power levels is a bonus.

Well, after much thought and quite a bit of reading and an amazing amount of input here, I think I may go with the Brocock Commander XR. I know it wasn't in my first list, but the more that I read, the more information I found. It is on sale now, is light, somewhat classic if you have been shooting AR's for 38 years, and seems to have most of the bells and whistles to play with. My son was suggesting an FX (he really likes his), and the Taipan Veteran seems to be a very large consensus, but I don't think I really want a bullpup design. I do appreciate so very much the kind information that everyone has supplied to me. Hopefully soon I can get the 2 RWS's moved to a new home, and get to shooting a Commander XR .22. I will surely add a review when these things happen. thanks again, Chris

In those guns, when the hammer hits the valve, it doesn't dump the entire plenum. So you have less power, and air is conserved to you get more shots.

Taipan Veteran .25

It will run with ANY FX platform from the box.

A few tweaks and it takes a really good FX to equal it.

I have all of them,MK2,MK3

The Vet simply wears them out day in,day out.

I paid retail therefore my opinion is based from my purchase.

Google clowns are thick here,they shoot Gamo and argue 4 digit PCP.

Its never-ending.......

Damm Taxmaligator, how do my Vulcan tactic 25 get invited to this party.
1f606.svg

MOD EDIT: SHOULD YOU DECIDE TO GENERALIZE AND SAY "THEY ALL XYZ" AGAIN... WELL THIS IS YOUR WARNING.

So truth isnt allowed AGAIN?

Why the bias?

@txmaligator, maybe this uncalled for comment was the reason?

"Google clowns are thick here,they shoot Gamo and argue 4 digit PCP." 

When I had my Gamo Urban (BSA stock barrel) I did pull off some wicked shots with it. Many, many rats, chipmunks, woodchucks, etc. And though I moved on, at sub 60 yards? It would hold its own as a small game hunter or pesting gun. Never did compare it to 2K rigs though as I can't afford +2K rigs.

Brocock has a solid build platform. I owned 2 XRs, the standard and the magnum. Both were solid rifles and accurate. Both mine preferred AA18 pellets with the JSBs a close second. If you buy the XR I would advise you to fill the rifle VERY slowly. There is a very tiny o ring in the fill port that can get overheated very easily by the friction of high velocity air passing over it which “cooks” the o-ring and leads to cracking and an eventual air leak. You also need a special tool to remove it and replace it. It’s not a big deal but just something to be cautious of. AOA is a great company that stands behind what they sell. 

The triggers on the Brococks are OK for hunting but if you are a trigger snob it may leave you wanting for more. They are adjustable but take more work to make them equal to some other rifles out of the box triggers.

I owned a Veteran .22 long and that is one rifle that I wish I would not have sold. It had the best trigger of any airgun I’ve ever shot. Accurate, compact and just shot fine as is without any add ons or futzing.

(IF) you are still researching you may want to look at an RTI Prophet. Easiest rifle to tune, extremely simple yet robust design, great trigger and a LOT of power on tap should you want to crank it up? There are a total of 7 o rings in the entire rifle. Compare that to any other rifle and you will be amazed. It’s kind of the Glock of the Airgun world.

There seems to be many more excellent choices out there than I could have imagined. I will try the Brocock and hopefully be pleased, but in the real world, the grass is always (or seems) greener on the other side of the fence. Maybe I wont have many regrets. That Taipan really seems to be the ticket. I'm just not quite ready for the bullpup design, but might should get that way;)

thank you all again !

Compatto is 7 pounds but why do they recommend single loading Brococks for accuracy? Depreciation looks to be high since used ones sell for $500 to $600.

@batman2, So who exactly is saying you have to single load Brococks for accuracy? And at what distance? Definite throw away statement. I have had no practical difference in accuracy with or without the magazines. All my pesting is with the magazines, zero issues, thousands of pellets down range. Most shooters that shoot for maximum accuracy single load, so how is this particular to the Brococks? Facts please. And I can and have posted groups with and without the magazines to prove the point. Brocock doesn't get the press but they're definitely accurate/precise PCPs. Both of mine have been solid.

I remember there was a mag issue in early runs. Can’t remember exactly but it’s was around same time they had a manufacturing plant or source change but has long been since fixed. The bantam sniper that I had had a good mag so no issues with mine either.