Some suggestions on deciding which first PCP

Gentlemen,

I have decided to purchase a new pcp rifle. I have narrowed down my list to: 1) Weihrauch 100 or 110 in .22 with synthetic stock (carbine). 2) Brocock Compacto huma Regulated in .22 or 3) FX Dreamline Classic Synthetic in .22 or .25.

I am very open to advice. I would like to do target (20 + yards) and small pest control of mostly squirrels. I am more interested in light weight, compactness, ergonomics, reasonable power and accuracy. I currently have a RWS 34 and RWS 24 in .177 that are plenty accurate, but just will not do the job on these tuff squirrels. I do plan to sell both and put the money towards a pcp. I am very, very lucky to have a son who shoots a .25 FX that looks much more like an AR. I am not sure of the model. Luckily, he has a compressor and tanks that I will get to use freely!!!!

I Would greatly appreciate some input from ya'll if you have time. I have never had a pcp, but been shooting for over 45 years. I've decided that with the current situation, blowing air may be a little cheaper that burning powder (hopefully)!

Thanks in advance,

Chris in Alabama

Mr. Bollwevvil, My personal opinion, I am really enjoying my Benjamin Armada purchased about one year ago, my first pcp. 

The reasons I like it.1) $600 or so for a respectable rifle that shoots accurately. Mine came with a reasonable scope (CP 4x16-40) and a nice bipod.

2) I like to work on stuff and this is probably as simple as it gets. 3) Lots of aftermarket hi quality upgrade options. Already added a regulator and a custom barrel. 

I like my new Dreamline, although I haven't had a chance to shoot it past the 15 yard target I have in my basement. I got the Dreamline Dreamlite Compact Bottle. At that range its groups are small ragged holes. The trigger is really nice. Mine has no problems shooting CPHP, so it's cheap to feed if all I'm doing is plinking.

You've probably seen this for the Dreamline before, but I'll mention it again: you can switch out the Dreamline's barrels, reservoirs, and furniture, so your Dreamline Classic can become my Dreamlite Compact Bottle, and vice versa. Granted, FX ain't giving this stuff away.

I don't know about the rifles you mentioned, but I think it's wise to let you know .177 can and will dispatch a squirrel very efficiently but shot placement is key. A larger caliber with poor placement will not fix this issue. It's not uncommon for a squirrel to go through death throws with a killing shot, it's not him not being dead it's just the last signals from his brain making his body convulsions. 

Of your three excellent choices, I like options 1 and 2 both are no none sense PCPs, take them out the box, run a few patches, scope them up start shooting. No tinkering or cobbling of different configurations. Disclosure, I've owned unregulated Compatto .22 close to four years now, it has been great right out the box. I liked it so much, I purchased a Bantam Sniper .22 Huma regulated (29 months ago) Both of these gun shoot sub 3/4" groups at 40 yards casually. Kills with both from 10 yards out to 104 yards. They have both set such a high bar, that I'm set for PCP rifles for the foreseeable future.

image.1644624597.jpeg

image.1644624674.jpeg
image.1644624770.jpeg

Taipan Veteran .25

It will run with ANY FX platform from the box.

A few tweaks and it takes a really good FX to equal it.

I have all of them,MK2,MK3

The Vet simply wears them out day in,day out.

I paid retail therefore my opinion is based from my purchase.

Google clowns are thick here,they shoot Gamo and argue 4 digit PCP.

Its never-ending.......

Taipan Veteran .25

Its never-ending.......

Damm Taxmaligator, how do my Vulcan tactic 25 get invited to this party. 😆 

Thank you so much gentlemen. I really have some more studying to do it appears. I must do some research on the Taipan. This is much more involved than I expected, but i like to learn before I purchase. I think I'm at a good starting point and will probably have a few more questions after some research.

Thank you again so much

Do NOT buy a Taipan Veteran. I bought one over a year ago and now have three of them and still want another one! They are like Lay’s potato chips, you can’t have just one. Seriously, I do own three and would like a fourth one. They are built like a tank, very simple to work on but you aren’t going to need to unless you decide to mod it, extremely accurate and you very seldom hear of any issues with them. The other choices in your original post are still good, I especially like the Brocock out of the three but still like the Taipan better. They make the Veteran in three sizes, compact which is 24”, the standard is 28” and the long is 32”. My favorite size for something like you would be doing is the standard and it will put out 35 FPE in 22. Look at the long version that does 45 FPE if you want a little more power. These FPE numbers are all stock out of the box, you can mod them and get even more power if you need it. I’ll put a picture below of the three I have to give you a size comparison. The long version in my picture has a power plenum added so that’s the reason the air tube extends past the barrel.

6C562BBE-A4A5-439E-AB57-D1769BE2B5A6.1644636591.jpeg

I don't know about the rifles you mentioned, but I think it's wise to let you know .177 can and will dispatch a squirrel very efficiently but shot placement is key. A larger caliber with poor placement will not fix this issue. It's not uncommon for a squirrel to go through death throws with a killing shot, it's not him not being dead it's just the last signals from his brain making his body convulsions.

Pcp will definitely have better shot placement than a 34. And a slug 22 950 fps will down a squirrels with no almost no recoil includeding body shots. A 30 slug at 970 is way more energy squirrel has no chance. 50 plus yards no problem. 

Posting this because I prefer light weight guns. This one is what I might buy due it's 5.5 pound weight which seems to be lightest in class.

Plus it's German made.

And $200 cheaper than normal $599 selling price every place else sells them for.

There's a shrouded version if you ask the seller for $499.

When you find the sweet spot that's where you fill it up to.

Or add a regulator to fill it all the way.

Good news is if you don't like it you can probably atleast break even reselling it on the classifieds with buyer pays shipping.

You have a $200 cushion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353851182875

When you're hunting you want a gun that's very light weight as possible because the scope and mounts will add on additional pounds.

If a traditional rifle is preferred the Day state Huntsman Regal or Revere is 6.1 pounds.

If you want to save money there's a 22 Day state Huntsman classic XL for $699 at AoA in the pre owned section.

Even cheaper there a 22 Webley Raider for $299. It's a great deal for a cheap hunting rifle if it's made in Sweden by FX and not the version made in Turkey. If it's 8 shot then it's likely the FX. If it's 10 shot it's a Hatsan made in Turkey. Best to call and ask.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353851182875

HW100s depends on model are 7 or 8.6 pounds has anti double feed mechanism first rate trigger and very effective silencer excellent accuracy German build quality. 

Compatto is 7 pounds but why do they recommend single loading Brococks for accuracy? Depreciation looks to be high since used ones sell for $500 to $600.

7.7 pound bull pup Taipan Veteran compact known for reliability excellent trigger and fantastic accuracy. Rather pricey for a rear lever cocker but it has a 20 moa rail and anti double feed system. Heavy following for the Veterans.

Don't laugh don't hate. Throw them in the back of your pick up and go hunting.

Benjamin Maximus single shot 5 pounds and usually has open sights made in USA.

Benjamin Fortitude multi shot regulated 5.3 pounds made in USA needs scope and mounts.

If you're near Greenville Tennessee note it had zero bids when he first listed it for $150 with no scope and rings. See relisted item. He mentioned shimming the scope so knowing that I wouldn't want to buy that scope.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224824463081

Atleast no China made guns were mentioned here.

Can't guarantee the same when you ask for scope opinions though. I can suggest several that are not Chinese made.

Reactions: Raider03
Compatto is 7 pounds but why do they recommend single loading Brococks for accuracy? Depreciation looks to be high since used ones sell for $500 to $600.

@batman2, So who exactly is saying you have to single load Brococks for accuracy? And at what distance? Definite throw away statement. I have had no practical difference in accuracy with or without the magazines. All my pesting is with the magazines, zero issues, thousands of pellets down range. Most shooters that shoot for maximum accuracy single load, so how is this particular to the Brococks? Facts please. And I can and have posted groups with and without the magazines to prove the point. Brocock doesn't get the press but they're definitely accurate/precise PCPs. Both of mine have been solid.

Taipan Veteran .25

Its never-ending.......

Damm Taxmaligator, how do my Vulcan tactic 25 get invited to this party.
1f606.svg

MOD EDIT: SHOULD YOU DECIDE TO GENERALIZE AND SAY "THEY ALL XYZ" AGAIN... WELL THIS IS YOUR WARNING.

@trompis, wow you really had bad luck with yours... And in ten days you had a slew of problems? Where are all the other such posts? One outlier doesn't prove a thing. Destroyed your Sumo, leaky regulator, not one, but three bad mags? Cheap hammer spring adjustmemt? Seems like things went downhill fast. Sounds like there was some user induced issues in there also. How did it actually destroy that Sumo, how is that even possible? I regularly used three different magazines. Zero issues. Shot it with or without a moderator attached. The reg is been holding the set point for 29 months. I guess I just got lucky with my two Brococks, and the rest are junk? I have to admit I don't tinker around with mind. Just shoot them, that's it, from out the box until the present. Not pushing the brand, just countering false narratives.

@trompis, wow you really had bad luck with yours... And in ten days you had a slew of problems? Where are all the other such posts? One outlier doesn't prove a thing. Destroyed your Sumo, leaky regulator, not one, but three bad mags? Cheap hammer spring adjustmemt? Seems like things went downhill fast. Sounds like there was some user induced issues in there also. How did it actually destroy that Sumo, how is that even possible? I regularly used three different magazines. Zero issues. Shot it with or without a moderator attached. The reg is been holding the set point for 29 months. I guess I just got lucky with my two Brococks, and the rest are junk? I have to admit I don't tinker around with mind. Just shoot them, that's it, from out the box until the present. Not pushing the brand, just countering false narratives.

probably a bad pellet mate.i would say it was a friday afternoon riffle but all the mags i got for it became misaligned after a few shots made me not want one of those again. i have my air arms s510 xtra FAC for quite a while now the poor thing went through hell and back but it still shoots the same as the day i got it

Thank you to everyone for the tons of information. I really do like the Taipan Veteran's statistics. I shoot and love many CZ powder guns. The only drawback to me would be the bullpup configuration. Those are some really sweet rifles Cannonball!

The Air Arms has been mentioned a few times, and I am thankful because I did not know enough about it to consider it first.

Also, thank you Batman2 for the links, and details of some of the US made rifles that I was unaware of!!

Thanks to everyone on this forum for the available info., and especially to those who have replied!!