Some stupidly small groups at 190 yards w/177

Hard to fathom…

you can clearly see the hole that is doubled up

AE415467-05BA-4471-B96C-F873034D93F7.1633465055.jpeg
1C0D7885-C8A8-4551-954F-311AD5A4EEBC.1633465056.jpeg
80F89D0D-455E-4CEF-A83E-3AA7D54A2E17.1633465057.jpeg
F6670314-1A76-41D2-941E-E9F380DCDF39.1633465138.jpeg
DC1A7E1A-7CEB-49B1-A2C0-8954A95E186C.1633465385.jpeg

The other group that it’s lying on, had four shots in a row that were almost touching. Number 5 was sad…the four shots were well under 1/2 MOA. 
mike

Reactions: rigbymauser
I use a Midway brand cast-iron front rest. I have a fancier one from Sinclair but I like the midway better. It has a leather sandbag on top. I have numerous sizes depending on which type of rifle. I use a leather rabbit ear rear bag. 

My range is cut right through the middle of the woods. So yes I have some advantages especially during the summer. And yes all of those fantastically small groups, are either shout in the morning or in the evening. Very rarely during the middle of the day.

I have a minimum of two in flags out all of the time. And sometimes I put out more. More usually confuses me.

Rifle is a high power RedWolf, factory board on high, tuned for the Airgun Nation giveaway about two years ago. I bought it from the winner.

20.5 g nsa At approximately 825 ft./s. I’m tempted to put in a hellebore just to see how fast it will go. But I will not mess with this rifle it’s too phenomenal.

The scope is a fantastic piece of optics March 10-60.

I’ve been shooting airguns BB guns and other rifles for 50+ years.

mike

Holy smokes!!!! Superb shooting there! If I can get 1 MOA with .22 at 190 yards I’ll be ecstatic!!! This is at a completely different level of skill!

1 MOA at 50-100 yards is GREAT for most air gunners, myself included. However, I do shoot .177 CPUM 10.5 at ~750fps, so MOA @ 60 yards is good/great!

It is hard for me to even imagine the trajectory of a .177 pellet at 190 yards. The arc will be HUGE!!! And as was noted in a previous post, the wind effect/affect will also be HUGE, especially in .177

Must have been absolutely no wind for starters :) ..

He did mention he picked the calmest part of the day to shoot but it is not possible to not have wind at 190 yard unless it’s inside of a sealed aircraft hanger. To put things into perspective for every 1 MPH of wind (which is difficult to even feel) my rough ballistic calculation estimates the slugs will drift about 6 inches at 190 yards. 3mph creates 11 inches of drift. To get 1/2 MOA at 190 yards with that kind of margin of error is impressive to say the least. 

THEN even if the wind is dead still if anyone shot long range looked through only 20x glass then you know how hard it is to get that kind of group from just timing your heart beat. to consistently produce that kind groups the skill required is simply extraordinary! That plus factor in even slightest condition change make the result even more incredible. WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!!

1 MOA at 50-100 yards is GREAT for most air gunners, myself included. However, I do shoot .177 CPUM 10.5 at ~750fps, so MOA @ 60 yards is good/great!

It is hard for me to even imagine the trajectory of a .177 pellet at 190 yards. The arc will be HUGE!!! And as was noted in a previous post, the wind effect/affect will also be HUGE, especially in .177

1 MOA is certain great no matter what guns we are talking about here. Not to downplay Mike's achievement but the slugs do make enmence difference especially at that distance. Those slugs have BC of 0.075 compared to crosman's 10.5g pellets' 0.026 or effectively 3x better at cutting through air. Even with that we are still talking about over 15 mils or 50 MOA or 115 inches of drop. Very large drop until you compared to the crosman's 200 inches drop with wind drift of about 13 inches for 1mph wind. LOL 

Must have been absolutely no wind for starters :) ..

He did mention he picked the calmest part of the day to shoot but it is not possible to not have wind at 190 yard unless it’s inside of a sealed aircraft hanger. To put things into perspective for every 1 MPH of wind which is difficult to even feel my rough ballistic calculation estimates the slugs will drift about 6 inches at 190 yards. 3mph creates 11 inches of drift. To get 1/2 MOA at 190 yards with that kind of margin of error is impressive to say the least. 

THEN even if the wind is dead still if anyone shot long range looked through only 20x glass then you know how hard it is to get that kind of group from just timing your heart beat. to consistently produce that kind groups the skill required is simply extraordinary! That plus factor in even slightest condition change make the result even more incredible. WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!!

1 MOA is certain great no matter what guns we are talking about here. Not to downplay Mike's achievement but the slugs do make enmence difference especially at that distance. Those slugs have BC of 0.075 compared to crosman's 10.5g pellets' 0.026 or effectively 3x better at cutting through air. Even with that we are still talking about over 15 mils or 50 MOA or 115 inches of drop. Very large drop until you compared to the crosman's 200 inches drop with wind drift of about 13 inches for 1mph wind. LOL 

My bad. I did not see that he was using slugs. Still, quite an arc, not counting wind.

I appreciate all the feedback guys, I’m having a blast shooting at this distance with an air gun. Keep in mind 10 years ago I spent an entire summer trying to shoot a MOA group at 200 yards with a 22 rapid unregulated. Shooting 18 grain JSB.

I finally did it twice that summer. This is simple compared to that. 

That’s why I’m having so much fun with this, it was almost impossible to do 10 years ago. I can’t tell you how many times I ran to the range while it was still dark, and shot with my trucks lights on the 200 yard target.

mike

From the other side of the pond thank you. Big advantage with 30 foot pounds and slugs. They holdup out to 240. It’s crazy.

i’ve also shot the 12 foot pound 177 out to 160 with pellets. Believe it or not it was a FWB 10 m rifle which had been bumped by Alan Zasadny. A junior model 70. It was so accurate at 100 yards, I could shoot five shot MOE groups one after the other in decent conditions. Once in a while half MOE at 12 pounds. I shot it at rifle range. So I had earmuffs on, I was in my own world.

All of a sudden I realized it was quiet and had been for a while. These guys have been watching my groups from 100 yards through their scopes. I’m not sure for how long. They were blown away. Because the piellet holes just appear there. No sound. This was 10 years ago. They had high end swat type stuff, And could shoot.

It’s amazing what you can do a 12 foot pounds. It’s also extremely difficult. This rifle liked the 7.9 JSB best. I shot chipmunks with it at 130 yards.

mike

Certainly nice shooting but entirely dependent on the "advantages" below-

"My range is cut right through the middle of the woods. So yes I have some advantages especially during the summer. And yes all of those fantastically small groups, are either shout in the morning or in the evening. Very rarely during the middle of the day."

Not to take anything away from the shooter, but to illustrate what is required to SOMETIMES do this with any airgun.