Snowpeak Some observations on the Snowpeak p35 / stoeger xm1 bullshark

Got my new stoeger xm1 bullshark aka snowpeak p35 the other day. First thing I noticed was this gun is very very inconsistent
IMG_20240310_213720.jpg

Checked the hammer (factory oil was very sticky) cleaned off the factory oil still very inconsistent.
So I decided to take the whole thing apart which is very easy to do just a single bleed screw.
I found the regulator was cover with silicone grease. Cleaned those off the reg and lowered the regulator setting a bit.
This is what I am getting after. Had to lower the hammer spring as well to hit that 900fps magic number with JSB 18.13gr.
IMG_20240310_213707.jpg

8 shots group at 25 yards
IMG20240310165737.jpg

Solution
SPA guns need to be checked first thing. The designs are pretty good but the assembly is too loose, like they are afraid to strip something putting them together. They also use excess lube to prevent rust. They definately need to be gone through completely and then they are pretty good in my experience. A word of advice, don't use the grub screw to hold the barrel, the side screws work fine on their own. The problem with the grub screw that I had was they put a divot in the barrel for it, and the barrel was already very thin, being .25 caliber, and every time I would secure that screw accuracy would change. I rebarrelled my gun because I ended up not trusting it, and put in a thicker barrel, and I still don't use a grub screw. It might...
SPA guns need to be checked first thing. The designs are pretty good but the assembly is too loose, like they are afraid to strip something putting them together. They also use excess lube to prevent rust. They definately need to be gone through completely and then they are pretty good in my experience. A word of advice, don't use the grub screw to hold the barrel, the side screws work fine on their own. The problem with the grub screw that I had was they put a divot in the barrel for it, and the barrel was already very thin, being .25 caliber, and every time I would secure that screw accuracy would change. I rebarrelled my gun because I ended up not trusting it, and put in a thicker barrel, and I still don't use a grub screw. It might not be a problem with a .22 but it is something you should keep in mind.

Solution
I'm glad you got your inconsistency fixed. My Caiman is inconsistent too and much more expensive. Still working to figure it out. I haven't pulled the Huma regulator yet but that may need to happen. It has a unique (to Air Maks) pivoting hammer design and it seems like friction in the pivot may be playing a role. A light oil (FP10) seemed to help for a few shots so I just put in some moly grease and hopefully it will be longer lasting.

I have 3 P35s and they never had inconsistent velocity like you illustrate. But I find the ES and std deviation are both lower with pellets they shoot accurately. Not sure whether the consistent velocity is helping accuracy or possibly both characteristics are because the pellet and gun are compatible.

Reactions: Nattboy