Tuning Some Information about using older CF bottles on the Wildcat MK3 BT

So, my .22 BT VP arrived today as well. For those who don’t know, the VP comes with an 400cc aluminum 230 bar bottle, and no case. It is $200 less expensive than the BT Compact (which has a 300cc 250 bar CF bottle and a small FX case). The VP also has a 600mm barrel as opposed to the Compact which has a 500mm barrel.

I chose the VP because, (a) I wanted a longer shot string than the compact would give, (b) I already had a spare FX 480cc CF bottle hanging around, and (c) I saved $200. 

I had asked if the existing bottles would fit the MK3 BT and the answer from FX was “Yes” However there is a catch. 

Turns out that the BT uses the same new valve as the Impact M3. This means that you cannot use older FX CF bottles (i.e. from the Impact MKII, Crown, Dreamline, etc.) with the Wildcat MK3 BT unless one changed the valve to the newer 300 bar valves, or actually installs the little cap that FX sells. This meant that my plan to quickly substitute my existing CF bottle (which came from a Crown that I upgraded to a 580cc bottle) was FUBARed.

However, I then had a thought. I degassed both bottles and, using the Saber Tactical degasser and valve removal tool I switched the valve from the Aluminum bottle to the CF one, and vice-versa. (As a side note, the aluminum bottle has a bushing and O-ring that fits over the valve stem, presumably because the neck of the aluminum bottle is shorter than the neck of the CF bottle. I did not use the bushing and it’s O-ring on the CF bottle, just the valve and associated O-ring). 

Then came the white knuckle moment when I pressurized the system.

Everything worked perfectly! I mounted a spare Athlon Argus BTR Gen 2 6-24, sighted it in roughly in the basement (15 yards) and practically skipped outside to fire a few quick ones at 50 yards. Out of the box the 2nd reg was set at about 90 bar, and it shot 13 JSB 18.13 gr pellets at an average 934 FPS with the Power Wheel on 7, and accuracy at 50 yards was great, even with a strong wind blowing everything 1.5 inches to the left. It still gave a 1/2” group for 8 shots. I’m very happy so far. Just what I wanted!

40BD0FF9-6C7B-4B22-9098-264D9009BC91.1649121275.jpeg
0112C6F2-717B-4FEB-8466-9FD7BED2B767.1649121275.jpeg

That’s interesting .I thought the only difference was in the bottles valve to handle 300 bar. When I got my Maverick compact I took my 480 bottle from my crown Mk2 and put it on the Maverick and it worked fine. I too have gotten the Wildcat BT VP in .30 This weekend and was going to do the same thing and keep my aluminum bottle as a spare for the range . I guess now I’ll be buying a CF bottle. Dang! But I’ll get the 300bar bottle which requires the new valve which is a plus. Isn’t it amazing how the Wildcat stock changes the look and feel / handling from the Maverick? 

Thanks for the info. When you mentioned, "no case." Is there not a case that the gun comes in?

The gun comes in a nice cardboard “box”. Not what i would call a “Case”. The box is shown in the photos below, and you can see the gun lying on the case for one of my Impacts. Quite a difference. By the way, I assume that this is only true for the VP model. 

C204D55B-5E4C-4465-A0D5-33DA1DFA7549.1649189870.jpeg
A8A67B86-8BF8-4812-937C-B3E1EBBE689F.1649189871.jpeg
AB60B4E8-C6C7-44EC-A76B-C25979A72992.1649189871.jpeg

Man I was hoping that it'll come with a FX case.... Are you able to measure the height and length of the gun for me as I am looking to purchase this gun. (The same one like yours with maybe a helix scope) Would probably try to source a case for it before hand.

I’ll measure it for you when I get home later this evening. I know the length (without the moderator) of the 600mm barreled VP model (i.e. mine) is just under 32”. The moderator shown in the photo is 4.5” so the overall length is roughly 36”. I don’t know the height though.

Chris

Man I was hoping that it'll come with a FX case.... Are you able to measure the height and length of the gun for me as I am looking to purchase this gun. (The same one like yours with maybe a helix scope) Would probably try to source a case for it before hand.

I’ll measure it for you when I get home later this evening. I know the length (without the moderator) of the 600mm barreled VP model (i.e. mine) is just under 32”. The moderator shown in the photo is 4.5” so the overall length is roughly 36”. I don’t know the height though.

Chris

Just realized that I forgot to post the measurements that I promised, so here they are:

The Wildcat MK3 BT VP is 35 1/4” long with its 600mm barrel and the 0dB moderator shown in the last picture. W/O the moderator it is 31” long. From the top of the scope rail to the lowest part of the stock is 8 1/4”. With my Athlon Argus BTR Gen 2 6-24X50 scope mounted using Low UTG quick detach rings it is 11 1/2” tall.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Reactions: golfer70
Thanks for the head's up regarding the VP BT and older bottles. I have ordered a VP BT as well because I wanted the 600mm barrel and I have a couple of older 480cc bottles from prior guns and was planning on using one of those bottles on the VP BT. I will plan on switching the valves between the aluminum and carbon bottle.

You are welcome. Its exactly the kind of situation I was hoping to be of some help in.

Chris

Reactions: golfer70