Some Clarification On Tuning The Sidewinder..?

I'm looking forward to trying to dial my Sidewinder in this weekend. I started this morning with some NSA slugs (the two weights on offer) and the grouping were less than stellar at 50 yds.
I've never made an adjustment on the rife, I just shoot it, as it was sent to me by AoA. I think some dialing in is gonna be necessary to get these slugs to live up to their reputation.
However I'm not clear on where to make the adjustments. I've heard it said that the rear knob is all you need to adjust; then others saying that the front part is where I should be adjusting. If anyone can help clarify this process, and educate me as to the finer points of dialing this gem in, I'd appreciate it. TIA.

So... I decided to bottom out the rear knob. That gave me an 801fps with a 61.5 NSA slug.slugs. and the rear gauge still hasn't even twitched. It's still sitting exactly where it was the day I got it.
20230701_110727.jpg

Hello.

The rear gauge is the regulator pressure set gauge. It will not move with turning the rear throttle knob. The rear throttle knob changes the volume of air behind the pellet. Not the pressure. The regulator pressure adjustment is in the front of the rifle. The manual can help you with how to adjust.

Rob
Thanks. I think I'm on to something now. I was finally able to get the slug up to 850. What measure of change per click can be expected with adjustments to the rear knob?

Reactions: MichaelHunt
This is cool I haven't touched the regulator pressure adjustment at all on mine yet. I'm interested in hearing how it goes for you, and how many shots per fill you are getting.
I'm stumbling through the process now. I'll post my findings as I go. Hopefully it will help someone. It'll either be a handy tip, or object lesson. We'll see how it goes. Right now I'm trying to approximate the speeds for a slug a YT'r was having some success with.

First, you don't need to stumble through the process - the owners manual explains it well (and other important stuff). Plus there are things that you could do while "stumbling" that could mess up the gun, especially by how you adjust the regulator (and to what level as well) - I won't wast time repeating it here; just read the manual . . . .

Second, the power wheel, as RB-AOA said, is variable based on the regulator pressure. Clockwise lowers speed; CCW does the opposite. Full clockwise has the gun use so little air it barely fires (if at all) and the pellet won't exit the barrel (maybe not even fully out the mag, jamming the gun). "Full power" will occur as some amount of CCW turns less than full CCW, and the amount of this varies based on regulator pressure.

Again, read the manual . . . .

Reactions: DevilsLuck
First, you don't need to stumble through the process - the owners manual explains it well (and other important stuff). Plus there are things that you could do while "stumbling" that could mess up the gun, especially by how you adjust the regulator (and to what level as well) - I won't wast time repeating it here; just read the manual . . . .

Second, the power wheel, as RB-AOA said, is variable based on the regulator pressure. Clockwise lowers speed; CCW does the opposite. Full clockwise has the gun use so little air it barely fires (if at all) and the pellet won't exit the barrel (maybe not even fully out the mag, jamming the gun). "Full power" will occur as some amount of CCW turns less than full CCW, and the amount of this varies based on regulator pressure.

Again, read the manual . . . .
I'm getting closer to the desired results. Though a much needed rain shower has put put an end to today's efforts.

Picking up where I left off yesterday; things aren't going as smoothly as one might hope. My chrony absolutely refuses to give me anything but an ERR. I even went to Bass Pro Shop to just buy another, and... They didn't have any. Seriously? While this process is quite tedious I have gained a deeper respect for folks who do take the time to calibrate their rifles, to a specific ammo. Only to start over with another, and another to find out which is best; and then returned to the better performer. The expense in ammo for just this process alone is pretty serious. Not to mention the time...