• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX (Solved) Unsure what to do next with my bobcat MK1 25 cal on high power

Hi Team,

I’m new to air rifles and PCPs in general, and I’m seeking guidance on my recently acquired secondhand Bobcat MK1. Here’s what I’ve observed so far:
  1. Bobcat MK1 Details:
    • I believe it’s an updated MK1 because its body resembles the MK2, although it lacks the gauge on the front.
    • I haven’t disassembled it yet, but I suspect it’s not regulated.
  2. Current Setup:
    • I’ve invested in the Bobcat and a compressor.
    • My current scope is a budget BSA 4x32.
  3. Accuracy Issue:
    • At low power, the pellets group reasonably well (considering my learning curve).
    • However, at high power, the pellets scatter significantly, with a spread of about a foot at 25 yards.
    • I initially thought it might be due to lightweight pellets (20 grains), so I switched to 30-grain pellets, but the issue persists.
My understanding is that the barrel has been provisionally replaced, as the previous owner’s brother accidentally fired two pellets through it.

Unfortunately, there are no nearby PCP companies where I can seek in-person advice
Given this situation, I was wondering what should I focus on next to improve accuracy.
Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Quick update, it wasn't just high power, low as well, the cause was clipping on the Moderator more information below

Not

Last edited:
Hi Team,

I’m new to air rifles and PCPs in general, and I’m seeking guidance on my recently acquired secondhand Bobcat MK1. Here’s what I’ve observed so far:
  1. Bobcat MK1 Details:
    • I believe it’s an updated MK1 because its body resembles the MK2, although it lacks the gauge on the front.
  2. Current Setup:
  3. Accuracy Issue:
    • At low power, the pellets group reasonably well (considering my learning curve).
    • However, at high power, the pellets scatter significantly, with a spread of about a foot at 25 yards.
    • I initially thought it might be due to lightweight pellets (20 grains), so I switched to 30-grain pellets, but the issue persists.
My understanding is that the barrel has been provisionally replaced, as the previous owner’s brother accidentally fired two pellets through it.

Unfortunately, there are no nearby PCP companies where I can seek in-person advice
Given this situation, I was wondering what should I focus on next to improve accuracy?

Thank you

Not
Give Airgun of Arizona a call, I had a bobcat mk1 in .30 it was regulated, but didn't hold air. They got it fixed and shipped back to me within 5 weeks. They should be able to at least tell you what the problem may be.

Reactions: Scotay42
Hi Team,

1. Bobcat MK1 Details:
  2. Current Setup:
  3. Accuracy Issue:

Given this situation, I was wondering what should I focus on next to improve accuracy?

Thank you

Not
What pellets are you using?

Reactions: Emu and Gerry52
If it's a MKI don't be "hamfisted" when working on it. Delicate copper tubing inside. I have a MKI in .22. I've never even switched to low setting! It's designed around & set up to shoot 18.13gr JSB pellets. Yours should shoot the JSB 25.39gr extremely well (and maybe ONLY those pellets) . These guns & barrels are limited to pellets because of the Original Smooth Twist barrels but do it EXTREMELY well. You don't mention chrony readings (fps) so it's difficult to diagnose the problem. Try the JSB's recommended & see what happens. Maybe contact RM100GUY here on this forum & pick his brain. He's got the same gun as you and might be able to shed some light. They're known for being limited to only one or two types of JSB pellets but can do it with laser accuracy.
For a 1st pcp it might not be the best decision but your problem might be as simple as the right pellet & speed. I suggest leave it on high power until you get it shooting correctly. You can always try different settings once you get it to shoot like it's supposed to. JSB, 25.39 Diabolo!!!
(Look up RM100GUY posts about HIS Bobcat. You'll see what I'm talking about) Feel free to contact me with any other questions.
Gerry
NOTE: RM100GUY has a MK2, sorry but I'd still contact him re: normal & expected function of the .25 Bobcat.

Last edited:
John,
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you. Here's what I'd do as one comfortable with mechanical projects. Find and review all Bobcat videos to familiarize with platform. Remove stock checking for loose parts, followed by barrel cleaning per Steve, from AEAC, PatchWorm barrel cleaning video. Purchase a chronograph, a PCP owner's best diagnostic tool. If all appears OK, re-install stock and run tests. Chronograph results can help pinpoint problems, bring findings back to forum for diagnostic suggestions. WM

Reactions: Gerry52
Agree, but he will spend in repairs the same of a price of an Alpha Wolf and will not make it work properly.

Mine was sent to the wastebasket after getting tired to send it to repair time after time.....
Probably you & your frustration & maybe not the gun. Truth be told, mine is probably THE most accurate gun of the 3 guns I own. Not the prettiest gun I've ever seen but the accuracy, fit & feel and its repeatability make it beautiful! I'm curious Emu, what kinds of problems did you have with it? This statement of yours "but he will spend in repairs the same of a price of an Alpha Wolf and will not make it work properly" begs the question WHY, just because YOU never could? Your experience is yours. Others of us have vastly different ones!

Last edited:
Reactions: Centercut
Probably you & your frustration & maybe not the gun. Truth be told, mine is probably THE most accurate gun of the 3 guns I own. Not the prettiest gun I've ever seen but the accuracy, fit & feel and its repeatability make it beautiful! I'm curious Emu, what kinds of problems did you have with it? This statement of yours "but he will spend in repairs the same of a price of an Alpha Wolf and will not make it work properly" begs the question WHY, just because YOU never could? Your experience is yours. Others of us have vastly different ones!
Leak after leak after leak.....

I wish his Bobcat works better than mine. When working, my Bobcat was extremely accurate and a pleasure to shoot with.

Mine was a .30 Cal and I took a coyote with it.

Send it to repair to two different gunsmiths.... That rifle lasted functioning very few shots and a leak started again.... Over and over the same story....

Last edited:
Leak after leak after leak.....

I wish his Bobcat works better than mine. When working, my Bobcat was extremely accurate and a pleasure to shoot with.

Mine was a .30 Cal and I took a coyote with it.

Send it to repair to two different gunsmiths.... That rifle lasted functioning very few shots and a leak started again.... Over and over the same story....
Really sorry your experience with it wasn't good. I had a very slight leak at pressure gauge threads. 10 minute fix. Had mine just over 2 years. Barrel needed cleaning ONCE! 1st time hunting with it nailed a ground squirrel at 102 yards, head shot!

Really sorry your experience with it wasn't good. I had a very slight leak at pressure gauge threads. 10 minute fix. Had mine just over 2 years. Barrel needed cleaning ONCE! 1st time hunting with it nailed a ground squirrel at 102 yards, head shot!
When I had the Bobcat MKI always thought that having that rifle in .25 Cal should be a dream of rifle.

The dream of rifle became reality in my Panthera Compact Hunter .25 Cal.... Took a while to make it shoot it as I wanted, but now it shoots REALLY well !!!... It is smooth and super accurate.

Not a great gun for the uninitiated newbie (maybe). Wonder if the "barrel replacement" was an OST or a home remedy kinda thing. I HOPE OP is just using wrong pellets!
If that rifle had the original from factory barrel it is very unlikely that could be non accurate.

If past owner cannibalize it, then to get a new original smooth twist barrel might be easy.

Reactions: Gerry52
Wow guys, I must have some settings turned off and I missed all the comments, thanks to everyone who responded and sorry I didn't reply until today.

I was working with RM100Guy and in the end we got to the bottom of it, first off as I was new we went to a baseline of known pellets which were JSB King 25.39 and we also made sure the barrel was clean. At the same time, RM100Guy showed me what he was achieving so I knew what I should expect.

Sad to say I was still getting a spread of a foot and what I didn't realize was low power wasn't much better (I had just thought my misses was me).

To make sure the moderator wasn't casing the issue I took it off for a few shots and noticed the grouping was a lot better, hence I started researching this and learnt about clipping, knowing this I rechecked my moderator and there was a very faint grey line on the exit of the unit, hence it seemed it was clipping it.

Took the shourd off and rolled it, it didn't have much of a bend in it, a couple of millimetres at most but with the moderator on it turned into about 5-6 millimetres when I rolled it.

Hence what I think has happened is that the rifle has had a drop on the moderator which bent it, it's treads and the shroud all up a bit :(.

For now, I have printed an end cap for my bobcat and running without a moderator, I've gone from a foot grouping to being able to hit a clothes peg at 30 yards, so super happy.

I hope this helps someone else who could have this issue, once you have the right pellets, check by taking the moderator off, goes away check for a clipping.

Not a great gun for the uninitiated newbie (maybe). Wonder if the "barrel replacement" was an OST or a home remedy kinda thing. I HOPE OP is just using wrong pellets!
What a mess, I thought the marks on it were only skin-deep, but when I took the shroud off the shroud compensator was all messed up as well, think someone must have tried to remove it without first heating the lock tite :(. Cleaned that up while I was cleaning the rest of the rifle, thank goodness they did stuff the barrel up, at this stage, I haven't stripped the gun down as I don't have seals and would hate one to break. Hard enough getting simple breech seals in NZ :)

Not an easy gun to learn on but luckily it wasn't anything too bad