SOLOMARK Cell Phone Scope Adapter

A few months ago I was looking for a cheap (but not too cheap) scope cam. I settled on a Solomark Phone Adapter to use with an old Samsung Galaxy J7 phone that was otherwise unused. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GSLNPZ4

I have the https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Swiss_Arms_3_9x40_Scope_with_Blue_Reticle/8645 Swiss Arms 3-9x40 scope on all but one of my air rifles. Being able to fit that scope was one of the requirements in adapter selection.

I finally had time this weekend to pull it out of the box, set it up, and shoot a few rounds with my 1077.

My phone has the lens in the center of the short axis. As a result of how the adapter holds the phone, this made for a slight angle of the reticle on the LCD. With an off-center camera (actually, one that is 3cm from one edge of the phone) the reticle would be orthogonal and easy to set up. I was in a hurry to get some video for my brother so he could see if he might be interested, so I saved the adjustments for the next day. The video I made for him is linked below. Nothing fancy, just a quick test.

I have since then adjusted the mount so the camera has the reticle squared up better. It's not dead center on the view, though, as that has proven to be a lot bigger challenge for alignment. As a result, there will be some parallax to deal with. Since I'm using this setup with a dedicated phone, I'll be leaving the phone in place on the mount. That will save the fiddling around to get it aligned when I go using it again. (Michael - we need a scope cam challenge one of these months :)).

Overall, I'm generally pleased with the performance for the money spent. Could it be better? Absolutely! An easy X/Y adjustment would be better than the long rotary arm. And if I had the money, definitely having it mount differently would be great. But for $65 I get enough of the functionality that I can enjoy it and not consider it money wasted.

Andy

https://youtu.be/bB6ZfPazF14

20200921_121450.1600714181.jpg

Here you can see the slight angle that caused the issues with reticle alignment.

20200921_125305.1600714240.jpg

To solve that, the angles of mounting it on the scope were adjusted. I'm using the vertical garage door to serve as a reference for both the scope and the camera.

20200921_125248.1600714351.jpg

Andy

Thanks for pointing that out. 

The point was to show the raw offset with a quick setup. (It was actually made for my brother to see if the visual performance was acceptable for him. It is.) 

As second post with the stills, it IS possible to take it out mechanically (which is always preferable) with just a little bit more fiddling. Actually, the phone can be mounted in any orientation other than upright - that one interferes with the stock. I like that flexibility, as it will allow for some more fun stuff down the road.

I have now flipped the camera over to the other side of the stock, as this allows me a little better handling without being forced to resort to a stand for shooting.

I appreciate the feedback!

Andy

Yes. In fact I was going to get it out for some Christmas can plinking in the garage this morning, but we just got to shooting first and you know how it is - you just want to keep on shooting, not stop to set up a camera.

I have allocated my daughter's old phone to camera duty, so I don't have to worry about putting my phone into the bracket.

If it was a little more convenient to use I'd probably use it more. I did leave it on my 1077 for a month and enjoyed the ability to capture each shot, but I had to sit funky to aim because I was using the camera to aim instead of my eye. If I had a system that didn't change how I held the gun I would absolutely use it more. The cost for that sort of system just isn't in my shooting budget right now.

Andy