Other Solid Barrels

Which PBs? I do not know of but one PB with a liner inside a shroud? There is a 1022 with an integral suppressor. It requires a tax stamp of course. Not sure of the configuration of the internal barrel. As much as the thin, flexible barrel liners, the shift of POI also results from the shroud pressing on the barrel liner. The barrel liner itself is not sufficiently stiff to resist even small external forces.
Was thinking more of old military rifles with skinny little barrels that are bedded in the fore end of the stock and usually have a hand guard making contact on top of the barrel. Not exactly shrouded. But my point is there needn't be poi shifts with skinny little barrels whether they are bedded, shrouded, or free floated. I think it is more how the barrel is attached to the receiver that is important

Was thinking more of old military rifles with skinny little barrels that are bedded in the fore end of the stock and usually have a hand guard making contact on top of the barrel. Not exactly shrouded. But my point is there needn't be poi shifts with skinny little barrels whether they are bedded, shrouded, or free floated. I think it is more how the barrel is attached to the receiver that is important

I agree that grub screw attachment of barrels is kind of sketchy and it seems ubiquitous but a "liner" is much too flexible and easily displaced by minor pressure on the shroud or even just the shroud itself. A larger diameter barrel would be more stable and especially if it screws into the receiver or is locked in by a wedge or about anything aside from grub screws. Band clamps and other similar means of stablizing a barrel are just patches. The barrel should be free floated and self supporting maintaining a rigid alignment with the receiver (and therefore optics). I would rather an unshrouded and solid barrel of sufficient OD to not be easily displaced and then thread it for a suppressor for when such is needed. Just the weight of the shroud seems sufficient in some of these shrouded barrel liners to displace the POI.

I agree that grub screw attachment of barrels is kind of sketchy and it seems ubiquitous but a "liner" is much too flexible and easily displaced by minor pressure on the shroud or even just the shroud itself. A larger diameter barrel would be more stable and especially if it screws into the receiver or is locked in by a wedge or about anything aside from grub screws. Band clamps and other similar means of stablizing a barrel are just patches. The barrel should be free floated and self supporting maintaining a rigid alignment with the receiver (and therefore optics). I would rather an unshrouded and solid barrel of sufficient OD to not be easily displaced and then thread it for a suppressor for when such is needed. Just the weight of the shroud seems sufficient in some of these shrouded barrel liners to displace the POI.
I don't disagree. Having been a powderburner guy all my life, when I got into airguns I was racking my brain trying to figure out why all these manufacturers were doing it wrong and ignoring hundreds of years worth of accumulated wisdom about barrel harmonics. I couldn't believe it. ...still can't believe it really... I have heard of some people fitting carbon fiber tubes over their barrels and then tightening a muzzle device real tight up against the tube and getting some pretty good results that way. To me that just seems to be a similar approach to full length bedding a barrel... which I suppose is a better solution than the seemingly random placement of clamps inside and outside of the shroud... basically brings the barrel harmonics up to the standards of a high end flintlock era rifles. But there is a reason no one beds barrels anymore. Would be nice if manufacturers would get with the times.

• Love
Reactions: dorcula and 3Crows
When you say "solid barrels", I don't know if you are asking about unlined barrels, unshrouded barrels, or both. None of my rifle use a liner system: Daystate Revere and Red Wolf (both have shrouds), FX Royale, RAW HM1000, Weihrauch HW100, and Taipan Veteran. The Veteran also utilizes a threaded shank, so it screws into the receiver similar to most CF firearms, a real tank.

When you say "solid barrels", I don't know if you are asking about unlined barrels, unshrouded barrels, or both. None of my rifle use a liner system: Daystate Revere and Red Wolf (both have shrouds), FX Royale, RAW HM1000, Weihrauch HW100, and Taipan Veteran. The Veteran also utilizes a threaded shank, so it screws into the receiver similar to most CF firearms, a real tank.
Sorry if I was unclear or vague. For instance I would call the Lother-Walther, like on a Benjamain Marauder barrel a solid barrel. So, in other words, not having a liner type barrel like the FX Impact. One piece barrel, bull barrel, etc.