Soda can carnage at 300 yards!

My friend is lucky enough to know the owner of the open property behind his house and was able to setup targets out to 300 yards. He asked me and another guy to shoot at his house this morning. However, he had this crazy idea of a friendly match on soda cans at 220 yards and 300 yards. I had a chuckle at first because a can at 300 yards is well under a MOA wide, we were joking before the shoot that we might need more than 1 box of slugs to hit all the cans. Worse part was I switched my impact from 25 to 22 so had to find a tune and zero.

Match format is 220 yards first then 300 yards. We can shoot sighters then 3 shots on 3 cans. My friends started with 2 and 1 at 220. I was last, got first and third shot. Pretty darn impressed with myself! The my friend’s knocked a can with his first shot at 300 yards, we all shouted in disbelieve!!! He missed his second shot but nailed the third can!!!

Didn’t think I had much of a chance when it was my turn so guess pressure is off. After a few sighters the wind was fairly consistent so squeezed the trigger with 1.2 mrad hold for wind, the flight took what seems forever and boom! First can blew up!!! Holy chit!!! Could not believe my eyes! Second shot was slighy low and right but adjusted the third shot and Boom!!! Simply unbelievable!! We have a tie!!!

The shoot off was at 300 yards at 1 shot each. Both of use forgo any sighters. My friend went fist and missed by less than an inch. I watched the wind and squeezed the trigger….boom!!! OMG!!! Could not believe my own eyes! That was epic!! Could NOT imagine hitting cans at 300 yards with our little BB guns just couple of years ago! After the match we blasted away at the surviving cans and knocking fallen one around for another hour. Best ever 300 yard shooting for me, 3 12oz soda cans in 4 shots when it counted!!! What a blast!!! For reference we were all shooting our impacts in 22 with 700mm barrel.

The carnage at 300 yards:
IMG_4507.jpeg

Hope everyone is also having an awesome 4th weekend!

Last edited:
Man that's some awesome shooting! Were you using slugs or pellets and what power level? That's pretty awesome just to make wind calls like that man I really have to get practicing my wind calls very impressive

Thanks! Shooting NSA .22 35 grain slugs in 217. Always tune my guns to shoot around 900-920, my average right now is 915fps, I don’t subscribe to faster is better doctrine.

Thanks! Shooting NSA .22 35 grain slugs in 217. Always tune my guns to shoot around 900-920, my average right now is 915fps, I don’t subscribe to faster is better doctrine.
That's still definitely moving not to mention the higher you crank your power up the more hold sensitive they get.

That's still definitely moving not to mention the higher you crank your power up the more hold sensitive they get.

Yes, a stock Impact does get a lot more hold sensitive when pushed hard. I upgraded my MK2 with power block and the backbone rail, the gun can push the 35 grain slugs good amount harder(I can get over 1000fps with 35 grain slugs) but at my current tune it's not harsh at all. Plus the backbone really stiffened up the gun and made it a lot less hold sensitive, if I do my part the center dot barely moves and I can watch the slug drop in and hit the can/targets. The backbone rail is a very necessary upgrade if you shoot heavy slugs at long distances with your impact.

Yes, a stock Impact does get a lot more hold sensitive when pushed hard. I upgraded my MK2 with power block and the backbone rail, the gun can push the 35 grain slugs good amount harder(I can get over 1000fps with 35 grain slugs) but at my current tune it's not harsh at all. Plus the backbone really stiffened up the gun and made it a lot less hold sensitive, if I do my part the center dot barely moves and I can watch the slug drop in and hit the can/targets. The backbone rail is a very necessary upgrade if you shoot heavy slugs at long distances with your impact.
I don't know how many other types of slugs you have tested but we have shot tens of thousands of NSA slugs between my maverick and a wildcat BT and setup with slug power kits slug, barrels, tensioners and a harmonic tuner and only got the NSA slugs semi tuned than I decided to try some h&n heavies 38 grain and they worked pretty darn good with no tuning whatsoever and they were right off the bat more consistent in poi so we took them out to 100 yds and my dad's wildcat BT was shooting sub moa 3 shot groups quite a bit and it just went from shooting NSA 38.5 2 inch groups or bigger at 50 yds after a month or so of tuning. I also tried them in my maverick, and at 50yds I was without any tuning already shooting better groups more consistently than I ever got with my NSA slugs ''tuned'' unfortunately I never got the chance to take them out to 100 yds or try tuning them but I'm already impressed with what I'm seeing at 50yds. I'm definitely not trying to talk down NSA slugs they make very consistent slugs but for me at least the h&n heavies 38 grain slugs are doing very well for me and I just figured that I would put my experience out there. I will definitely update when I get out to 100 yds.

Great post and it sounds like great fun. I thought it interesting that I did the post below quite a while back… I think your target choice is a perfect test for long range. And there’s no doubt whether there’s a hit or a miss.

Mike

Reactions: qball