So You Want To Be a Tuner....

We call this kind of stuff "tuning to a standstill". Or likely almost ruining a perfectly fine gun.

In my case when I thought I was a gunsmith a few times that's exactly what happened, lol. 

Usually the penalty is the expense of paying a real gunsmith anyway and the cost of new parts + shipping. 

I figure the metal shavings on the garage floor from me operating my cheapy lathe and mil cost about $100 an ounce in penalty due to my lack of knowledge and taking off too much material. Easy to take off material but darn hard to put it back on, right??!! 

😜

I read your blog post and I have to respectfully disagree with you. The logic behind it paints a picture of 2-dimensional world: manufacturers and end customers. I knew nothing about tuning PCPs a year ago (beyond the two knobs on a P-rod). I then upgraded to a Leshiy and ~12K pellets later I knew that I needed something more and I bought an Impact X.

Around that time, influencer marketing lines were transparent to me in the industry. I expected to get the performance that others in the "southern hemisphere" were showing off, when in reality their Impacts were modified for them, unbeknownst to me. It put a sour taste in my mouth, but I did not let that deter me from becoming motivated to figure out what needed to be done to gain similar performance.

Fast-forward 365 calendar days, an uncounted sum of time and money, and I now own / operate a lathe to make my own parts, custom barrel throaters that I had made for barrel blanks, several chronographs, a decent air compressor, and ballistic analysis software that I have authored along the way to assist me in tuning and optimizing my long range rifles. I didn't know what BCs were nor could I explain to someone what a drag coefficient was until I had to learn. With each build, I have set the bar higher and higher within reason for each (small bore) rifle.

The only thing that sets me apart from others is motivation, determination, and being able to finance things myself. I have an engineering mind (and spent my career in tech engineering), but I would argue that common sense and being results-oriented is more of a prerequisite than having a vast understanding of the physics behind fluid dynamics, kinematics, and projectile motion for tuning airguns.

I read your blog post and I have to respectfully disagree with you. The logic behind it paints a picture of 2-dimensional world: manufacturers and end customers. I knew nothing about tuning PCPs a year ago (beyond the two knobs on a P-rod). I then upgraded to a Leshiy and ~12K pellets later I knew that I needed something more and I bought an Impact X.

Around that time, influencer marketing lines were transparent to me in the industry. I expected to get the performance that others in the "southern hemisphere" were showing off, when in reality their Impacts were modified for them, unbeknownst to me. It put a sour taste in my mouth, but I did not let that deter me from becoming motivated to figure out what needed to be done to gain similar performance.

Fast-forward 365 calendar days, an uncounted sum of time and money, and I now own / operate a lathe to make my own parts, custom barrel throaters that I had made for barrel blanks, several chronographs, a decent air compressor, and ballistic analysis software that I have authored along the way to assist me in tuning and optimizing my long range rifles. I didn't know what BCs were nor could I explain to someone what a drag coefficient was until I had to learn. With each build, I have set the bar higher and higher within reason for each (small bore) rifle.

The only thing that sets me apart from others is motivation, determination, and being able to finance things myself. I have an engineering mind (and spent my career in tech engineering), but I would argue that common sense and being results-oriented is more of a prerequisite than having a vast understanding of the physics behind fluid dynamics, kinematics, and projectile motion for tuning airguns.

Thank you very much for the reply.

I hear what you're saying...but I think we agree more than we disagree.

Coming from knowing nothing a year ago to where you are now shows your willingness to examine and learn, become properly equipped, and capable of setting up a methodology.

I sincerely commend your efforts.

Right on, man!

-Donnie

Thank you very much for the reply.

I hear what you're saying...but I think we agree more than we disagree.

Coming from knowing nothing a year ago to where you are now shows your willingness to examine and learn, become properly equipped, and capable of setting up a methodology.

I sincerely commend your efforts.

Right on, man!

-Donnie

Thanks man, just glad that I stuck with it. Very rewarding, but I'm sure that you know all about that! 😎