So what's YOUR tolerance Of "acceptable" damage?

1587056992_14763496505e989160580d68.01994121.JPG

Shooting one of my .22 break barrels the other day in my basement I noticed a LOT of damaged skirts from this 500 tin of JSB 13.43gr. It's short range so perfection of pellets shape / condition doesn't matter as much for accuracy as it would outside for targeting, pesting etc.... But the more I shot the more upsetting it became that there were SO many pellets damaged! I took tweezers and started plucking the most noticeable damaged skirts ... the pile on the foam disc are the ones I repaired by forcing the damaged skirt onto the dome of a another pellet. Didn't count them, but when finished I had a sore thumb and forefinger and nearly enough to fill an empty 250 tin. These are thin skirted pellets, but still would hope QC at JSB could eliminate a better percent of damage.

When I was shooting allot of pellets roughly 15-20% of them went into the practice shooting pile, when I sorted them, although few were because of deformed skirts. Then again I was shooting mostly the 14.3 in .22 and the 33.95 in .25. so they had thicker skirts. When I shot the pellets from the practice pile they usually shot nearly as good as from the sorted piles with the exception of an increased number of fliers. I would have to agree with some others though rough handling in shipment or poor packaging is the most likely culprit for the damage.

I'm a big believer in consumers chasing problems back up the supply chain

If you politely put pressure on the vendor you bought from he/she may then put pressure on the supplier.

Especially if you are not the only customer to have had this issue.

You may even get some money back, who knows.

Looking from a different POV it seems to me that blaming the condition on the carriers makes no sense.

(Unless of course we expect pounds of lead to be marked extremely fragile)

It is up to the manufacturer to package the pellets in the tins in such a way that damage will not occur; and up to those who ship the items (manufacturer, vendor) to pack those tins properly for shipping.

Unless there are signs of abuse to the package, one really can't claim that USPS/FEDEX/UPS caused the damage

Circling back

I'd make it known to the vendor

Ed

I'll hopefully answer your questions without naming names. No evidence the damage was due to the packaging / shipping process. I could also be mistaken as I have no way of knowing what happened leading up to the package being processed. The tin was seal taped with no visible dented condition and bubble-wrapped as it should for shipment.

This was my first experience with these thin skirted lighter weights and will likely be my only.... unless once I get outside and find they shoot SO much better than any of my other 14gr assortment.