So what’s the verdict on the FX Chrony?

I can’t help but wonder what on earth all those people talking down the FX Chrono are using, and if they have ever used the FX Chrono. I have been using it for two years now and absolutely love it. I almost never use my ProChrono any more because setting it up is quite a pain. The FX Chrono is simple to set up, easy to use indoor and out. No special light fixture required when shooting indoors under fluorescent lights. No diffuser required when shooting outdoors under bright overhead sun, etc. 

I don’t mis any greater number of shots than with any of the three other Chrono’s I have had. The readings are within 1-2% of the ProChrono, and its not that one is consistently after or slower than the other, so i would have to say that they are equivalent.

Did I mention that it is incredibly convenient? And light?

Get it. You wont regret the decision.

I love mine, even mounted a tripod to it

87177F43-5B5D-47C0-BA16-DC88F23F780B.1646443175.jpeg

I had the very same questions a few weeks ago as I am building my collection and needed a chrono to tweak my guns. As mentioned, there are plenty of reviews, but I am always cautious about the Internet since folks have agendas that may not be disclosed or are not known. So, I have taken all of this information w/a grain of salt. What had helped me the most was going back to the gun ranges to see what folks were actually doing there. I saw a good number of guys w/light based chronos that based on my observations were infrequently cursing about the ERROR messages their chrono was throwing bc of light issues (we had a period of weather w/clouds), which in turn messed with shooting sessions, as those folks had to wait until the range master cleared the range so they could deal with their chrono. I saw a lot of LabRadar and MagnetoV3 w/folks that were shooting heavy duty rifles (one guy had both). When I set up w/my FX chrono, I initially had problems that were totally operator errors, such as not getting readings bc my profile was setup for High Power Airguns although the gun I was shooting was only going 589 fpe's bc I am using it for the backyard. After learning the app, I have learned to appreciate the FX Chrono for what it is. Battery life totally sucks, the unit is a bit flimsy and I totally dislike the rubber band around the barrel/moderators mounting. I shoot w/the chrono on a tripod now. Did I regret my purchase: Nope. The chrono does what it is suppose to do. Would I upgrade up if something else comes that builds on the FX and improves on it: Very likely, as long as the current issues are addressed.

Have 2 anecdotes while messing around on the range: several .22 lr shooters came up to check on the chrono. One of them ask to try on his gun and it measured the 1189 fpe w/out difficulties. Some of the shooters alleged that they would buy one. There was one shooter who had 3 chrono's with him, a regular light based one (which however was not working and had ERROR message), a lab radar, and the MagnetoV3. While he could not use the FX chrono for his big rifles, he liked the portability noting that he'd be interested in one of them for his .22s as field work made the LabRadar too big, and the MagnetoV3 to cumbersome. However, I would say that unless you're sitting in the desert w/no trees or bush around to shoot ground squirrels, going into the brush w/the FX calls for trouble as the rubber bands likely hang up somewhere creating a Wile E Coyote situation.

I'd recommend touring some shooting ranges while also talking to folks that bought one to ask (as you're doing here) if they like it and/or if you can borrow it for a string or two. It helped me to make a decision. The $200 is not inexpensive but if you eventually upgrade you can recover some of the costs as there are plenty of folks that could use it but don't even know it exists based on the interest of the .22 crowd that I met.

Note: Edited for spelling and contextual errors

I haven't had any real issues with mine, for metal objects, I'm shooting past a BBQ and a metal patio umbrella. I've had it miss a few shots sometimes but not enough to sweat. Battery life is pretty good on regular batteries, but I've got Li's in the bag. I would like a few changes in the interface but still not a deal breaker. It's cheap, it works and rubber bands are cheap, I'm thinking of switching to 0-rings.

Just my .06¢ <---inflation adjustment