So, what's an Impact MKII really worth now?

I bought a new MKII about a month ago. It was my first pcp and first air rifle. There had been a few Impacts listed while I was shopping, trying to decide what to buy but the asking prices were all too close to retail, which is what I paid. IMO the Impacts currently in the listings are all priced too high but I've felt that's been true since I started looking months ago and this oddity of used pricing does not seem confined just to FX stuff. I think my MKII is now worth about $1500 to somebody who would be happy with the last of there MKIIs. By the way, that person is probably me so I'll keep it and work on my skills. Perhaps if I was selling I'd ask a bit more than that and be prepared to negotiate down from there but when you actually do need to sell something, cash is king. One thing for sure is that I never saw this gun as an investment except in pleasure for me.

I like the M3 and appreciate that they resisted raising the price too much. . It looks like a great platform and I'd buy one if they make a rifle version of the thing. My Impact II is fun to shoot from a bench but a little 'bony' in the hands although as ya'll know, it's not heavy (my scope is tho'). For me it's more a bench/ambush gun than some kind of generalist but as a neophyte my opinions are subject to immediate and radical change at any time. I'm wet behind the ears but to me used airgun kit seems expensive and the good stuff seems rare, at least in the online classifieds. Certainly that's because good quality new equipment is expensive. But I think just because things are expensive they aren't necessarily investments. Used asking prices here on the forum seem to be too optimistic in general. 

Regarding having a change of heart, I don't know the details of this trade but maybe a person should be allowed to change their mind if they become aware of circumstances that make a deal unattractive. Details matter of course and words matter too but that's between buyer and seller in this case. Within reason if a person gets cold feet on a deal, they should probably listen to their own advice. If no goods and money have changed hands, what's the real harm? Nobody has been cheated and the market has spoken. It's fun when when you're shooting it but it's just business when you're selling it. No need to get too annoyed about something that didn't happen.

coyotegod,

" I think I just talked myself out of a deal I had agreed to in classifieds. Oops. " Agreed to? As in "deal" or "I will buy it"?

" I just send a PM to the person I was going to buy a used MK2 from telling him the price we agreed on was too high. I tried to be cool about it and I hope he understands "

I am certain they will "understand". (Or your above quoted words were miss spoken?) , Your word is simply no good. I'm sure most people here everyone understands it's hard to be "cool" with proving to the world your "word" may not be equal to most peoples "I'll take it" or "deal" on here.

Hopefully they did not mark it sold and inform another person or more that actually were interested "but wanted to do some research" -a reasonable thing to do Before "making a Deal"- that it was no longer available.

Do appreciate your being open about it. Good to know.

John

I was a little over zealous about my statements in my post, although the seller could have interpreted it that way. I was fully open with the seller the entire communication about my indecision and working to find a common ground on the price. We were still working out the final number and I had made an offer and his counter was very close, we had not actually agreed on a final number and considered the rifle sold, but again very close. Yes I am honest about it, probably could have handled it better. I have no idea what some of these higher end rifles are worth on the second market, I am learning as I go along on this forum. The reality is he was a seller and I was a buyer and it shouldn't have been all that personal. I see your points about him losing out on a deal if he told others that it was sold, but he never changed the status on the classified. I felt I was okay moving on as I hadn't fully committed and the item was not placed under "SPF". I do know that the seller was not all that happy with me though. I was honest with him and told him that I was not buying as I believed his item was over priced. He did attempt to lower the price, while taking extra items off the rifle, but that didn't satisfy me enough buy. I made the right decision for me and my wallet. Agree or disagree this is what happened.

coyotegod,

" I think I just talked myself out of a deal I had agreed to in classifieds. Oops. " Agreed to? As in "deal" or "I will buy it"?

" I just send a PM to the person I was going to buy a used MK2 from telling him the price we agreed on was too high. I tried to be cool about it and I hope he understands "

I am certain they will "understand". (Or your above quoted words were miss spoken?) , Your word is simply no good. I'm sure most people here everyone understands it's hard to be "cool" with proving to the world your "word" may not be equal to most peoples "I'll take it" or "deal" on here.

Hopefully they did not mark it sold and inform another person or more that actually were interested "but wanted to do some research" -a reasonable thing to do Before "making a Deal"- that it was no longer available.

Do appreciate your being open about it. Good to know.

John

I took your comments to heart. I send the seller a PM and did my best to apologize. Can't undo my actions, but I could at least apologize again for my handling of the situation. Guess it's to him now to accept or not. Hope he does. 

MK3 is nice, VERY nice! MK2PP is also nice, very nice. I have been expecting and waiting for the MK3 and I saw it at 6:30am and strangely did not reach for the credit card at all! Why? The MK2 PP can shoot just as well minus some really nice “cup holder”. I’m far more excited about some of the new impact accessories than the MK3. Given MK3 availability and how good MK2PP is I’m guess 1700 bones for a good working MK2PP is very fair because you can shoot just as well if not better if upgraded properly. I don’t foresee selling mine till much later because there really isn’t that much room for improvement shooting performance wise. In some ways MK3 is victim of it own success if someone has MK2PP. If I had a MK1 then I would of have ordered one and I say a mk1 should be between 1000-1200 because it’s still really good. 

If you're just shooting pellets at 100 yards an under is there a big difference performance wise from a Mk1 to Mk3 Impact?

Highly unlikely there is a noticeable difference between Mk1-3 shooting pellets under 100 yards. If the barrel is upgraded to superior then there will be no difference besides the tune will be different. Interestingly the original ST barrel is every bit as accurate for pellet as superior and I’ve seen people going back to ST barrels for some dedicated pellet builds.

MK3 is nice, VERY nice! MK2PP is also nice, very nice. I have been expecting and waiting for the MK3 and I saw it at 6:30am and strangely did not reach for the credit card at all! Why? The MK2 PP can shoot just as well minus some really nice “cup holder”. I’m far more excited about some of the new impact accessories than the MK3. Given MK3 availability and how good MK2PP is I’m guess 1700 bones for a good working MK2PP is very fair because you can shoot just as well if not better if upgraded properly. I don’t foresee selling mine till much later because there really isn’t that much room for improvement shooting performance wise. In some ways MK3 is victim of it own success if someone has MK2PP. If I had a MK1 then I would of have ordered one and I say a mk1 should be between 1000-1200 because it’s still really good.

I agree and would pay 1700 for a gun that was no more than a year old and in great shape. It would depend on how much the person has taken the gun apart and charged things on his own, versus having it tuned by a respected tuner in the industry. I am not seeing 1700 for these guns though, more like 2200-2500 and if there is a scope and a few accessories they are 3000 to 3300. Like it was said earlier in the post, they will ultimately be worth what someone is willing to sell for. I am just saying I agree with you (long winded). I am glad to see some hitting the second market, its good for us that want to do the MK2 route. I am glad the seasoned guys have a new toy to learn and play to pass that information on to us later on.

If you're just shooting pellets at 100 yards an under is there a big difference performance wise from a Mk1 to Mk3 Impact?

I have a gen1 and a MK2. To give an example, to shoot 34 grain .25 grain pellets at 100 yards, at 830 fps, I had the reg pretty much maxed out at 145 bar. Just upgraded that gun to a power plenum and already dropped the reg to about 120 bar for same or better speed. I'll be finishing tuning the gun today, but expect to drop the reg pressure a little more before I'm done.

Haven't done much with my new MK2, but if just adding a power plenum made a 15 or 20% difference in the regulator setting on the older gun, I'd say, yes, there are major differences between Gen 1 and MK2. The improvements seem to start in the in-between generation, the Impact X. Ted Bier did a video showing his competition gun. It's a .30 cal Impact X with the regulator set under 90 bar. Part of that was a change in the plenum, it's a few CC larger, and some was just better plumbing in the gun.

I would say, yes, there's a difference.

Great posts here gents! I wanted an Impact X in .25. I watched for months and found one stock lightly used for $1550.00. I added the PP, hammer weight, and pin probe along with other doo dahs unrelated to power. I am REALLY REALLY pleased with this gun! Is it worth more now? I think probably not. A friend and I also observed all the Impact's and Crowns for sale at pretty high prices to finance the new M3. Honestly I don't see what all the hubbub is about. It has some cool features true but it's just not going to sway me. I watched the 68 Whiskey boys vid shooting the 30 cal M3's 170 bar on one reg and 150 on the other I think it was. I was, wow really? shot count was not mentioned. I am not going down the rabbit hole on this. It is entertaining watching the classified's now LOL.

Dennis

In my humble opinion it boils down to the overall condition and just what has been done or much better not done to it. Then the general conditions of market economics, such as demands and purchases moving toward a certain gun manufacture or away. A good solid investment will hold it's value maybe until we face first into our soup.

Bingo! It just depends.

It does look like knee jerk selling of used Impacts to me too. There are those who must have the latest, greatest thing, right now... first on the block if you will. 

Others like me, even if I wanted one badly, will wait until maybe M3, Gen. 2 rolls out. I did this with the Impact MK1 and I’m glad I did. FX had ironed out a lot, (but not all), the bugs from those first Impacts.

Even with me waiting I had some initial problems I had to get Ernest to take care of for me. Like the thicker valve seat. The original OEM broke almost immediately. 

These guys are asking premium prices for their used Impacts but I don’t see many, if any, SOLD signs out. They’re only worth what someone else is willing to pay. Works that way with Airguns the way it works with collectible art or rock and roll memorabilia. 

I’m sticking w my MK2 for now. It took a long time to finally get it tuned right. Don’t want to start all over again with the M3 

Heck of a gun, that M3, I’ll say that!