• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

So now what should I do, or not do?

So ive been rocking my .25 Bullboss for a few months now. Loving it. Ive put maybe 150 rounds through it. Its not a ton, but work has been killing my spare time.

onto my question

I basically received the gun, took it out of the box aired it up and started shooting. I dont know diddly about how to care for this gun, proper maintenance or time lines for maintenance and cleaning. Ive looked over youtube and even here. I see lots of guides but I cant pin down if it "applies to my gun" I cant help but wonder if they are all different. I wanna keep the gun rocking and optimal power and performance. But im still an idiot when it comes to maintenance on this, heck I'm not even sure the best method for cleaning it! 

one additional quick question. If I take the barrel shroud off. Can I attach a Donny FL suppressor without an adapter? I know taking the QE shroud off is probably counter productive in noise reduction. But I'm a man a vanity and I like the thin barrel with suppressor look vs the QE shroud.

Thanks anyone and everyone!

I’m fairly new to so take what I say with a grain of salt. Always store your gun with air in it not full but not empty. Cleaning the barrel can go for as long as the gun is accurate If it don’t leak don’t mess with it shoot have fun.

I was lucky enough to learn about not emptying the tank early on. Otherwise I probably would have thought TOO empty it to keep pressure off of part xyz as if it where a co2 gun. Glad I found out early!

Thanks.

If your barrel is threaded 1/2x20 UNF the Donny should screw right on, HOWEVER when I had my BT65, .25 cal., it was MUCH quieter when it was on the shroud end as opposed to the barrel end. As far as maintenance I would clean my barrel when I noticed spiralling or change in accuracy. Get some nylon brushes for cleaning & a "pull-through" type cleaner & you should be good to go. Remember, it's good to clean out dirt & debris without removing the leading that "seasons" the barrel & makes it shoot accurately. Hope that helps. 

Gerry 

If your barrel is threaded 1/2x20 UNF the Donny should screw right on, HOWEVER when I had my BT65, .25 cal., it was MUCH quieter when it was on the shroud end as opposed to the barrel end. As far as maintenance I would clean my barrel when I noticed spiralling or change in accuracy. Get some nylon brushes for cleaning & a "pull-through" type cleaner & you should be good to go. Remember, it's good to clean out dirt & debris without removing the leading that "seasons" the barrel & makes it shoot accurately. Hope that helps. 

Gerry

Thanks that does help! but it does raise another question for me. You mentioned seasoning the barrel. I assume this means as you shoot the gun it starts to "break in" and accuracy likely improves. How many shots is considered to be the break in period? I'm sure each gun is different, but is there a general range of shots one should consider?

Also im not sure what my barrel is threaded as. Im having a difficult time finding out. lots of answers divert me to the gladius. But im not sure what is the same and what is different between the 2 rifles.

Gerry

Thanks that does help! but it does raise another question for me. You mentioned seasoning the barrel. I assume this means as you shoot the gun it starts to "break in" and accuracy likely improves. How many shots is considered to be the break in period? I'm sure each gun is different, but is there a general range of shots one should consider?

Also im not sure what my barrel is threaded as. Im having a difficult time finding out. lots of answers divert me to the gladius. But im not sure what is the same and what is different between the 2 rifles.

Break in is different for each gun, even each barrel. After you clean the barrel, a lot of guns don’t shoot quite as accurate until some lead builds up in the barrel. Airguns are a funny breed Most need some lead in the barrel to shoot well, and to much causes spiraling and poor accuracy. Like all of us, you’ll learn what the gun likes the more you shoot it. Get a pull through, some patches, and a light barrel cleaner. Start there and move to more aggressive if you need to. 

Seasoning a barrel. All rifled barrels have some imperfection,imperfections in the bore. For instance,cut rifling. A method of rifling a barrel. If you were to take a microscope and looked down the bore you would see areas where it appears there are some microscopic gouges or tears or pits. Seasoning or also known as leading occurs when these imperfections are filled in as the(in this case) pellet is driven down the barrel thru the normal operation of the rifle. When u clean the bore you will remove some of that lead that has filled in some of these imperfections which may cause the rifle to not shoot as accurately or change it's point of impact now. Those imperfections will get filled back in,(again thru the normal operation of the rifle and the rifle will return to it's normal level of consistancy,thus (re-seasoning) the bore. Every rifle is different so the # of shots it takes to get the rifle back to shooting as it normally does can only be determined by the user. One rifle may be ok after 15 shots while another may take 60 shots. 3 other tips. Use silicon oil anywhere there are o-rings. And Ballistol ( sounds like ballistic only change ic for ol.)for everything else. And a high grade machine oil like a light weight sewing machine oil for any linkages such as triggers and cocking bolts.

Many of use one of these for cleaning our guns and do not remove our barrels if we can help it. You can stick a drinking straw down the muzzle end to bypass any shroud vents or even a moderator if you wish.

I don't worry much about over cleaning as most barrels will begin shooting well again in as few as five to twenty shots after a good cleaning.

http://www.patchworm.com/patchworm.html

After some time, my Bullboss got quite difficult to cycle the action. Turned out the pellets were dragging on dry o-rings in the magazine. A q-tip with a small dab of silicone grease got the o-rings lubed up again, and the action cycled smoothly again. A very small amount of silicone grease goes a long ways, so be gentle! I hope you are enjoying your Bullboss as much as I have mine.

James

The cool thing about air guns is they don't require a lot of maintenance like powder burners. Personally I don't consider the barrel broken in until I've had two tins through it or 700 shots. You of course should thoroughly clean the barrel when you first get the rile to get manufacturing gunk out of it. If you haven't you can still do it and no harm will have come to the gun. Accuracy should pick up with that first cleaning. 

My Impact's barrel needs to be cleaned more often but my Kalibrgun Cricket hardly ever needs it.. I'd say clean when you see accuracy fall off significantly.

Like others said, keep some air in the system when not in use. Maybe 150 Bar or around 2000 psi. I mean 1500 would be fine as well.

When it leaks crack her open and repair, otherwise don't "fit it" if it ain't broken.

That's really about it....have fun