So I'm a newb and I turned a knob...

I purchased an FX Dreamline tactical from Utah Airguns 10/2020. I've never had any issues with it but I also recognized my own limitations when it comes to "tinkering" or repairing things.

I was watching AEAC Vlog's video on tuning the Dreamline. It's really a great informative video but gave me a false sense of competency that frankly, I don't possess. I turned the external hammer spring knob from where it was set by Utah Airguns (MAX) to one below. It felt "gritty" to me but that may just be the mechanical nature of the hammer spring I'm not sure.

Regardless... I couldn't get the external hammer spring adjustment knob to return to "MAX". Consequently, I did what I always do in moments like that and panicked. If one unsuccessful rotation to the left was good surely more would be better. Now my external hammer spring control is sitting at "E" and it feels like it's a rock. I'd like to return that knob back to "MAX".

It occurred to me that perhaps the issue is that it's under pressure, so do I need to degas my airgun to adjust the tension on the hammer spring? In the video, it appears that he is able to adjust his easily while it's under pressure so I'm not sure. I haven't degassed the gun yet. I think that's going to be next on my agenda but I don't think that's going to be the solution to returning it to its original settings.

Probably the airgun needs maintenance that I haven't done which is freaking me out.

Hawke is exactly right. Let me dive a little deeper for you. The hammer spring will not have any pressure on it from the air pressure of your rifle in the dreamline. The hammer spring wheel only adjust the hammer spring setting on a small steel ball and spring and oval shaped guide behind the ball. Adjustments are normally 20-30 fps for a total of 100 fps through the whole rotation. Hammer spring is only used to engage the hammer weight. This is done on static and potential energy and finally kinetic force when released. Only way the spring will be above static is when you have your action cocked pulling back the hammer. The wheel should move smooth and easy when uncocked and can be turned from min to max and back quickly without any issue. You must have the gun cocked when adjusting for any type of different outcome. Now that this has occurred, you probably ground a channel in the oval guiding surface and now the guide is stuck. This is a problem you can fix with a little bit of technical guidance and a Dremel tool. If really terribly stuck and damaged you can replace the wheel through FX parts order guide on their website.

Reactions: Silly boy pike
To add to what hawkeye 69 said, read your manual. The page that says COCKING. At the bottom of the page it instructs how to DE-COCK.
Basically, bring cocking lever all the way back, remove magazine, put safety on FIRE while pointing muzzle in safe direction , HOLD ON TO COCKING LEVER, do not let go of it, now PULL TRIGGER and guide cocking lever to cocked position. Done. Now do your adjusting. BUT, DO READ YOUR MANUAL THOROUGHLY. If you mess it up, it’s a hit load of money to pay shipping to and from FX USA.
Randy

Do stress about it!!!!!!! No big deal. First make sure you guns not cocked. The factory knob is made out of a very soft aluminum that scores very easily. Turning the knob with the gun cocked is very hard on the power wheel. But not the end of the plant. Being that you’ve been shooting the gun at the same tune, I’m sure the power wheel is pinged it the max setting. This is why it got wonky when you turned the wheel. I’d recommend removing the power wheel and cleaning it.
It’s a very simple process. Lay the gun on its side, with power wheel up. Remove the 3mm tapered head bolt. Carefully lift off the knob, being mindful not to loose the small 2mm detention ball and spring that’s held in place by the knob. Clean the power wheel, 2mm stainless ball and the counter bore with a clean paper towel and Balistolle. Lubricate the 2mm ball and power wheel shaft sparingly with silicone grease. Replace power wheel and 3mm bolt. Don’t over torque the 3mm bolt. It only needs to be snug.
You should be golden afterwards.
Don’t stress you got this.
Mont

Voice of experience here, do NOT adjust the trigger spring while cocked. You will be replacing the knob; take it from the man who didn't RTFM and messed his up.

On mine, there are two sets of 2mm ball bearings and springs, opposite from each other. Be mentally prepared to chase a bearing - they're just barely in there. I'd recommend using something like forceps or tweezers to manipulate those teeny bearings.

So... another newb question...

The set screw on the trigger blade is backing out and which is causing the trigger blade to spin around on the trigger post. I don't have a 1.27mm allen wrench does anyone have suggestions on where to get a set fine enough to incorporate that size?

I think I'd prefer a T-Handle set if possible. I looked on Midway USA, Harbor Freight, and a few other places but really didn't find what I wanted.

There is an inherent problem with anything adjustable, folks adjust it! FX has created an entire market around easily adjustable air rifles, and that's fine. But, I think the other end of the market has been overlooked in recent years. You buy a simple, reliable rifle, spend a day at the range with your chronograph, get the rifle tuned, and then, enjoy shooting, and don't mess with it anymore! That's oversimplified and said partially in jest, but maybe a path more should consider.

There is an inherent problem with anything adjustable, folks adjust it! FX has created an entire market around easily adjustable air rifles, and that's fine. But, I think the other end of the market has been overlooked in recent years. You buy a simple, reliable rifle, spend a day at the range with your chronograph, get the rifle tuned, and then, enjoy shooting, and don't mess with it anymore! That's oversimplified and said partially in jest, but maybe a path more should consider.
This is how I do it. I get a good tune out of my guns, then find which pellet it is most accurate with, and then fine tune for that and then LEAVE IT ALONE!