So i shot a baby groundhog today...

There's a litter of groundhogs and a mama in my yard total of 7 groundhogs. Landlord wants them gone so figured I'd test my air rifle out.
(Jts airacuda standard .25 with h&n hornets). 10 yards I took one out with a perfect shot to the head outside of the groundhogs hole. Now I'm new to this so not gonna lie it tugged on the soul a bit, but maybe somebody could chime in on the matter idk. As soon as the shot hit he went limp for a second then started flopping like crazy so now my hearts Going a mile a minute. Now i assume i hit his brain since he was flopping so that made me feel bit better. He then stopped flopping and I took another shot to the head neck area then he was still, sould I have did a follow shot like I did? Also the mama comes out right after sniffs him a bit then grabs him with her mouth and drags him in the hole🤦 so now I can't even confirm were he (or she) was hit. After that I told the landlord I aint shooting no more groundhogs.
So yea I guess my question is was it super f'd up that I shot one of the little hogs?
And can I leave them be and will they eventually relocate themselves?

There’s nothing wrong with feeling bad about shooting baby animals. Those that do have to come up with reasons, excuses or justify why they do. You don’t. Animals having young in places that can cause an issue is not uncommon. How big of an issue they may cause is usually what decides their fate by Mr. Shoot ‘em, car or lawnmower.

There’s nothing wrong with feeling bad about shooting baby animals. Those that do have to come up with reasons, excuses or justify why they do. You don’t. Animals having young in places that can cause an issue is not uncommon. How big of an issue they may cause is usually what decides their fate by Mr. Shoot ‘em, car or lawnmower.
Been there, I agree.

Thank you for that insight means alot.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Little hogs turn into bigger, more destructive hogs sooner than later. Feeling some doubt about what you did is normal and just means you have a heart. Nothing wrong with that. You did what had to be done and you did it humanely which is what really matters.

As far as the follow up shot goes, yes it is a good idea. Groundhogs aren't always as dead as they look and they will bite hard if handled still alive. Better safe than sorry (and needing a rabies shot)

Hunting: I’m very picky about which animals I shoot, and tend to only shoot the most mature ones.

Pest Control: Anything goes. The pests need to be gone. And doesn’t matter a bit to me how young or cute they are. They’re pests and I’m just doing a job.

Sounds to me like you were engaging in pest control. Don’t beat yourself up.

Little hogs turn into bigger, more destructive hogs sooner than later. Feeling some doubt about what you did is normal and just means you have a heart. Nothing wrong with that. You did what had to be done and you did it humanely which is what really matters.

As far as the follow up shot goes, yes it is a good idea. Groundhogs aren't always as dead as they look and they will bite hard if handled still alive. Better safe than sorry (and needing a rabies shot)
I appreciate that man 🙏 new to hunting/pesting so that helps alot.

Reactions: JohanG
So yea I guess my question is was it super f'd up that I shot one of the little hogs?
1. No, they are a pest that will grow.
2. If there is food available, the reason they are there, they will stay around.

Edit. And the honest truth, if you shoot the adults there is a good chance the young can starve to death. Much quicker to take them out quick.

Also, I am confident it was dead, the follow up is up to the shooter. Always remember your backdrop when taking those follow ups. People forget responsible shooting when they get on the move and the adrenaline is pumping. From you explanation I don't think that was the case for you, just food for thought in the future.

Last edited:
1. No, they are a pest that will grow.
2. If there is food available, the reason they are there, they will stay around.

Edit. And the honest truth, if you shoot the adults there is a good chance the young can starve to death. Much quicker to take them out quick.

Also, I am confident it was dead, the follow up is up to the shooter. Always remember your backdrop when taking those follow ups. People forget responsible shooting when they get on the move and the adrenaline is pumping. From you explanation I don't think that was the case for you, just food for thought in the future.
Thank you for that🙏 yea the hole is like 10 feet from my window were I had the gun rested so was able to get pretty accurate shots.

We had a baby skunk that took up residence under our deck ( for like 3 years) He didn't cause really any problems until he got older, then he sprayed our dog twice. Tried to come in the front door one evening when my son was leaving. He ( she) got huge, and I really had no choice but to take him out. If critters ain't causing me any problems I generally leave them alone. Now coons, those damn things cause problems as soon as they can walk, eat our turtles and gold fish. They don't get a pass. I feel bad for the young ones, but damn they are ornery little critters.

Groundhogs have very hard heads. I’ve made head shots that made an audible smack and they ran away from it.

With airguns I settled on only taking the shot when I could hit the back of the head. I also stopped using standard diabolo and started using predator metalmags or polymags since they cut hide better. Then I’d walk up and immediately fire a follow up to be sure. I occasionally did get wigglers but that pretty much solved the issue.

Make sure to collect the carcasses so scavenger birds like vultures and eagles can’t eat them, because lead pellets poison them.

First, the reaction you saw is normal the animal is in the process of dying and is unconscious.

Second, I'm 70 years old. I've killed more deer than I can remember. More dogs than I ever wanted to. Some coyotes, raccoons, possums squirrels, creatures all sizes all ages and I served in the military in a combat zone.

When I was younger I told myself it didn't bother me but it did. Now that I'm older I let it bother me but I understand. This is the nature of existence on this planet. We have things that we have to protect from pests and animals that encroach. And we should not feel any more guilty about protecting that than those animals do about damaging it or threatening it.

To be honest I feel worse when I see the senseless waste of deer hit on the highway than I do fir killing a groundhog that I caught in a trap.

But don't ever stop feeling bad about taking a life. It proves you are a healthy human with an appreciation for life.

Just take comfort in the knowledge that you took it for a good reason.

Last edited:
First, the reaction you saw is normal the animal is in the process of dying and is unconscious.

Second, I'm 70 years old. I've killed more deer than I can remember. More dogs than I ever wanted to. Some coyotes, raccoons, possums squirrels, creatures all sizes all ages and I served in the military in a combat zone.

When I was younger I told myself it didn't bother me but it did. Now that I'm older I let it bother me but I understand. This is the nature of existence on this planet. We have things that we have to protect from pests and animals that encroach. And we should not feel any more guilty about protecting that than those animals do about damaging it or threatening it.

To be honest I feel worse when I see the senseless waste of deer hit on the highway than I do fir killing a groundhog that I caught in a trap.

But don't ever stop feeling bad about taking a life. It proves you are a healthy human with an appreciation for life.

Just take comfort in the knowledge that you took it for a good reason.
Wow thank you for that insight sir and thank you for your service🙏

When I began pesting, that flailing around after a head shot surprised me as I didn't know what to expect. Now When I take a head shot and see the kicking I give myself a nod because the job was done correctly and a pest was dispatched ethically. with experience, when you do a head shot and they just drop in place and lay still, you then KNOW that the shot was not correct and follow quick with a second and the death dance commences. If you utilize recording equipment, afterwards you can review footage to see exactly where shot hit , good or bad and refine your skill. You would be surprised how often you push a shot up/down/side to side, or the target animal moves as your pulling the trigger. This helps eliminate the dreaded wounding animal syndrome where an injured animal suffers and strong enough to not let you near it. THAT is what needs to be avoided. The end result being, yes you kill animals, but you do it responsibly, with respect to not deliberately see that they suffer.

There's a litter of groundhogs and a mama in my yard total of 7 groundhogs. Landlord wants them gone so figured I'd test my air rifle out.
(Jts airacuda standard .25 with h&n hornets). 10 yards I took one out with a perfect shot to the head outside of the groundhogs hole. Now I'm new to this so not gonna lie it tugged on the soul a bit, but maybe somebody could chime in on the matter idk. As soon as the shot hit he went limp for a second then started flopping like crazy so now my hearts Going a mile a minute. Now i assume i hit his brain since he was flopping so that made me feel bit better. He then stopped flopping and I took another shot to the head neck area then he was still, sould I have did a follow shot like I did? Also the mama comes out right after sniffs him a bit then grabs him with her mouth and drags him in the hole🤦 so now I can't even confirm were he (or she) was hit. After that I told the landlord I aint shooting no more groundhogs.
onpoint , hello . Concerning the young g-hogs, If they are out & about, they will survive w/out the momma. I grew up on a farm ,now retired & hunt/pest on a local dairy daily. My method is to take all g-hogs that I can when I can. If you take a pup , be ready for the mother to come fetch it . Take her out !! The young will usually continue to emerge . This is what makes airguns & suppressed .22 rimfires so good . You must understand that this is the time of the year when young critters & birds are on the menu for predatures & raptors . This includes crows ( watching them wash their bounty from nest robbing in our bird baths daily), bluejays ,& grackles . The damage done by 'chucks can be devastating around buildings & in the fields. The family expands outward much of the time & can destroy an acre + of soybeans in a matter of weeks. It does take some getting used to to harvest any animal , but the goal is the most humane kill possible . On that note , I have found that on side shots , slightly below & back of the ear gives less "drama". A facing on all fours under the chin , works the same . And this is w/ slugs or Hades pellets , which is all I use . Pick your shots , put them where it counts , move on with the satisfaction that you are doing good by saving harm to farm animals and people that could step in / fall from burrows. Damage to machinery is common also .

That is a natural instinct not to kill the babies. But you should have shot the breeding female when the opportunity presented itself.

Remember three things-

1. almost nothing in nature will die of old age. A brain shot from an air rifle is the cleanest and best death it can get. Realistically a coyote or some bird of prey will pick them off and normally begin consuming them before they are even dead. Just not soon enough to stop them from breeding.

2. Foundation repair costs tens of thousand of dollars

3. There is no shortage of those little bastages

Don't feel so bad, I couldn't shoot a rabbit at literally point blank range. I've got zero issue with Ground Squirrels though, not that you can EVER get that close to the darn pests.

Reactions: onpointairandbow