Hatsan So I drank the kool-aid (or was it Jet fuel?) and found the perfect plinker

For $125 that is. I had never considered getting a Jet, but Midway kept dropping the price until the Jet 1 in .177 was $125 with free shipping. Couldn't resist, and it has been a ton of fun. With some very basic tuning, it's turned into a very decent shooter. The stock hammer spring is too strong. Removing a coil and a half produced a shot curve instead of a cliff. The trigger is adjustable and gets under 2 lbs no problem. I ordered a couple of 14 round aluminum mags (I think they're from the Sortie?) that function perfectly. They are pretty tall and block a little bit of the dot sight, but it's fine, especially if you shoot both eyes open. I've been shooting at 24 yards. 1.75 in spinners are easy, and it's a great for plinking at cans and plastic golf balls (the hollow kind, not the real thing. Learned that lesson as a kid!) The 28 round shot string goes from 626 to 761 with an average of 709, SD 38. Stopping at the first 14 bumps up the average to 734, SD 12, but you can see the second plate is about the same as the first. This is with CPHPs and filling to 3000. I use a scuba tank so tried to get the best results in that range. Midway also had the Jet 2 for $135, so yep, I've got that one too, but that's a story for another day. Happy plinking!

Screenshot_20240225_194253_FX Radar.jpg

20240225_080812.jpg

Screenshot_20240225_201015_FX Radar.jpg

Reactions: EddieG
Did you happen to measure the length of your hammer spring after you cut it?
34mm, the factory spring is 37. I wouldn't try without a chrony to see what is happening. After each clip, I heated the last half coil with propane torch and pressed on the spring guide to flatten the base. A little filing smooths the base of the spring.

With the mods I mentioned the shot string starts at 260 bars and ends at about 140 bars.
If you do not have enough hammer spring force your shot string will start at a lower pressure, under the 250 bar maximum.
Yes that was my intent since I usually fill from a scuba tank. Convenient filling and hopefully longer valve stem life.