• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

So I did a thing. Buying some property.

I live on Long Island NY and it is very hard to shoot here. I had 6 acres and a mobile home in upstate NY with an awesome range set up. It took me several years to make the range perfect for me. We had it for about 16 years but sold it when my kids went to college to help with money and we also planned on moving to Florida. Well after having our primary residence on the market with open houses and lots of strangers walking thru, my wife came clean and said she doesn’t want to move south. So I just made an offer on a 13.86 acre rural property Close to where I was before and near friends. No house, electric, well or cesspool.…..yet. The property is heavily wooded with a huge stream at the bottom. They just accepted my offer after several negotiations. Very excited to have my own property again. Gonna be a lot of work to clean out a driveway and camp area and then a new range. But Im most excited about is the multiple deer runs on the land. I saw multiple coyote and raccoon tracks and some torn up eaten grouse. So it should be a good place to hunt also.

Right on! Congratulations

I'm turning into an old codger and want so bad to get away from the city and suburbia. I hope to one day buy a lager piece of land and turn it into something special. Fortunately I am on 2 acres now with great neighbors but even so, the property seems to be shrinking. 😜

Enjoy the process of making the space your own. 💥👊🏼🎯

414A4891-F53E-44C2-A224-DE3C7FDFD096.jpeg

@crittahitta Congratulations on your purchase!! How are hunting laws in NY in regards to hunting on private property? Do you know if there is a minimum size requirement for a parcel in regards to hunting on privately owned land? My state has this sort of stipulation, but I hadn’t thought much about other states requiring the same because I’ve only encountered the issue once.

Reactions: crittahitta
I live on Long Island NY and it is very hard to shoot here. I had 6 acres and a mobile home in upstate NY with an awesome range set up. It took me several years to make the range perfect for me. We had it for about 16 years but sold it when my kids went to college to help with money and we also planned on moving to Florida. Well after having our primary residence on the market with open houses and lots of strangers walking thru, my wife came clean and said she doesn’t want to move south. So I just made an offer on a 13.86 acre rural property Close to where I was before and near friends. No house, electric, well or cesspool.…..yet. The property is heavily wooded with a huge stream at the bottom. They just accepted my offer after several negotiations. Very excited to have my own property again. Gonna be a lot of work to clean out a driveway and camp area and then a new range. But Im most excited about is the multiple deer runs on the land. I saw multiple coyote and raccoon tracks and some torn up eaten grouse. So it should be a good place to hunt also.
Excellent move.!!

@crittahitta Congratulations on your purchase!! How are hunting laws in NY in regards to hunting on private property? Do you know if there is a minimum size requirement for a parcel in regards to hunting on privately owned land? My state has this sort of stipulation, but I hadn’t thought much about other states requiring the same because I’ve only encountered the issue once.
I never heard of any size requirements other than firing a gun or bow within 150-300 feet from a dwelling unless they ok it. Good news is I have 622 feet of road frontage and there is a pasture on one side with the house about 500 feet further and right now there is nothing but land on the other side. No one can build on the backside so I should be good to go. I used to hunt on my 6 acre property without any issues. It is a very rural area so people are used to gun shots and hunting season.

Reactions: L.Leon
I never heard of any size requirements other than firing a gun or bow within 150-300 feet from a dwelling unless they ok it. Good news is I have 622 feet of road frontage and there is a pasture on one side with the house about 500 feet further and right now there is nothing but land on the other side. No one can build on the backside so I should be good to go. I used to hunt on my 6 acre property without any issues. It is a very rural area so people are used to gun shots and hunting season.
@crittahitta I’m curious because Texas also has a minimum size requirement similar to what @ChRiSiS stated. I wondered what the requirement looks like in New York.

@crittahitta I’m curious because Texas also has a minimum size requirement similar to what @ChRiSiS stated. I wondered what the requirement looks like in New York.
I will check and see what I can find out. Ok I have been searching. The DEC website says no discharging firearms within 500 feet of a dwelling or building unless you have permission from the neighbor. 250 ft for a crossbow and 150 ft for a bow. And the kicker is that it says to check local ordinances. So I will be fine.

Last edited: