• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

So how do you get stupid starlings

Hey Brian. I have an old ecaller that has tons of preloaded sounds. I really want a newer/better one but this one has a starling call. Mostly squeeking and calling distress sounds. When I am upstate on my property it is a rare treat to have a starling land close enough. So after ambushing one or two I set them up as lifelike as possible and play the call. They come from everywhere like crazy and are on crack. Hovering and squaking. A few land and i blast em. It only works a few times and they get wise. If i used a 12 gauge with bird shot would get 5 or so at a time at about 3 to 5 feet in the air. But i dont. Is there a way to upload sound on here I would do it.

Last year starlings found my bird feeding sites
Killed birds on the sites for two days and the starlings decided there were other places to eat that were safe.
They came in during two days of really crummy weather this month, but have not seen them since.
Grackles have decided my feeders are not a good choice for feeding also.
They are far from dumb birds.

If you can get to a property - with permission of course - that has an old barn, go in at night and shoot them all.

I went to one last night at 2:30 a.m. and shot every last one of them in there. 167 in about 90 minutes. It took longer to reload my magazines than it did to shoot them.
7ded6e57347f194c9efe4f8b87b85110.jpg

"Bob_O"If you can get to a property - with permission of course - that has an old barn, go in at night and shoot them all.
I went to one last night at 2:30 a.m. and shot every last one of them in there. 167 in about 90 minutes. It took longer to reload my magazines than it did to shoot them.
7ded6e57347f194c9efe4f8b87b85110.jpg

WOW!! Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Good one Bob-O. Brian

Thanks guys. Yeah, the shooting was fun but the rest of it wasn't. The shooting environment was nasty and clean up a chore.

Let me work on a vid really quick so you can see the aftermath. I plan on filming the next visit with some scope cam too. The reason I didn't use my Side-Shot this time was because I didn't want a bunch of dust and crap inside it. But I figure I'll jist have to take it apart or blow the stuff out.

Here's a pic of my rifle when I was done shooting. It was a mess. I knew this rifle would see some "duty", that's why I got the synthetic stock. Otherwise I would have loved the laminate.
3c6c20eed350f93297784c728e92afeb.jpg

Sorry guys, I've been down with the stomach flu for the last two days.

I don't think Starlings will fly unless they can see. I had a small LED lantern in the middle of the loft so I could have some light for reloading magazines. I had about 10 Starlings fly right at me, two hit me and the rest landed where there was enough light. The rest of them stayed up where they were perched.

I plan on going back in a few days and I'll scope cam the whole thing. It's fast and furious in there. The shots come just about as quickly as you can chamber a new pellet. If a guy had twenty mags, he could probably clear them all out in 30 minutes.

"Pruitt58"The other day this crazy Hawk is sitting out on my deck waiting for breakfast I think the wife took a picture but it's on her phone
It looks like a Cooper's, hard to tell though. A bird hawk basically. Keep feeding him!! ;-)

Thanks David. I should be back there Saturday night for round two. We have arctic cold temps here now so it's possible the barn will have more of them inside than last time.