• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

So how do you get stupid starlings

92bd4cd5a3dc3369cefb2b0854eb7651.jpg
I

"wll"I saw about 12 starlings today... all about 75 yds out flying in and out of an old oak tree. They are the toughest birds to get close to. I has one that did not see me and landed fairly close, and the second he saw me he flew out of there like a bolt of lightning.
Maybe he won't see me tomorrow and land for a minute or two ;- 0
wll2506
I pest those jerks in an orchard. I get about 2 seconds to shoot at them. I encounter them at very close range sub 5 yards. I use my viper express. It excels at this location. I load with steel shot #8 at about 35-40 pieces of shot. We don't use shotguns as it causes alot of damage to trees and the fruit. I found wearing camo helps and painted the gun to blend in. It's hard but alot of fun!

The starling is a much tougher target than most folks realize.
About ten or so years ago the U.S. government declared war on them.
They used every thing they had against them poison, trapped, shot and
soaped their roost. They managed to kill almost two million a number far
below the projected expectations and not even a dent in the estimated 140
million population. When they considered cost to results they were forced
to admit defeat and give up.
Spraying roost with soap has long been a deadly effective method of controlling
bird numbers. Not so with the starling they soon learned to jump roost anytime
a plane flew over low enough to spray. They used barns and overhangs were
even smart enough to invade other bird roost where controllers could not spray.
In the beginning traps and poison worked but soon became useless against
them. They learn and adapt quickly and seem to never forget. They are among
the very few birds intelligent enough to learn to talk.
You have probably noticed they are seldom alone if something happens to one
the others learn from it. Any bird that can give the U.S. government the shellacking
the starling put on them is worthy of respect. And a formidable opponent to match
wits against. Keep that in mind the next time one gives you the slip.

I wish I could shoot them where I live, but not even pellet guns can be shot within my city's limits.

So I drive to a dairy farm and go at them for hours at a time.like 6 to 8 hours in a row. I have to force myself to eat and drink. They are very wary though.

For best results I have to shoot from inside my car while making very little movement. I normally camp a location where i know they'll land, and be ready for the shot once they do.

Other than that I can camp out in the barn with the cows and be as still as I can be. Same strategy, be ready for the shot when they fly in. If they spot me on their way in or when they land, they fly out right away.

I don't have to put feed or anything out to attract them, being that they raid this dairy farm all day everyday......I just have to be as patient as I can be. They don't seem to stay in one spot long. If I end up waiting in a spot that seems dry for longer than I'd like, I just take the suppressor off the barrel and fire a shot, and that scares them from wherever they were and they come to where I am.

True that you have to pick up the dead ones, as the majority of starlings will avoid landing near them. There are stupid starlings though that will and do, but you have to take them out quickly before they realize something is wrong and fly away.

Hey Brian, man are you lucky the deal on your modded mrod fell through. Carful, them starlings will try and have your gun banned. My feeders are 35 yards from deck and once you kill one they split the scene to a tall dead pine tree 75 yds away. No problem. (Little Nasty), that's what I call my Ernest Rowe tuned cricket compact .22. jsb 18.1 @ 865 give a loud smack. I usually get 4/5 before they decide on another zip code. They look better when they gain 18.1 gr in weight. Tommy

LOL, I spent 6 years in the Infantry, I know how to make a sniper nest... damn Starlings figure it out....Im shooting at them from 10 feet in the house thru a window, with a silenced PCP...I hate those birds. A few local hawks and I are working together to eliminate them, I shoot them , he eats them immediately. Its pretty nice watching him snatch them up once they fall from the tree. I have had 0 in the last 3 days... Smart birds...

Here is a good one. I went to my shop and looked out the window and there were about 50 all in a group under the bird feeder. I aimed in the center of them and shot think I would surely get more than one but lo and behold the dirt flew and they all flew off. Every last one of them... I just could not believe it. Jokes on me. They did not come back the rest of the day. Smile.. Brian