• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

So how did YOU get into the world of PCP's

The PCP story.

I just retired after 32 yrs with the Army, I was missing shooting ARs and other things that go bang so I started going to the local range and burning 5.56 in my ARs and 9mm in my modified Sub 2000 along with 45, 22, 308, 270 and quickly realized ammo is expensive and hard to come by. So I decided to get a new scope for my 30 yr old Springer, instead I purchased a Benjamin nitro piston from a box store and loved it at first but after junking a few scopes and venturing into the interweb I discovered these PCP thingies and purchased me a Guantlet .25cal and was amazed with its power and accuracy. But as you know the more I learned and watched YouTube that bigger and better things were on the horizon so now I'm sitting here with an FX Impact MKII .30 700mm, Condor .25cal, Texan .45cal carbine a compressor, chronograph, tripods, bipods, several IMO high dollar scopes, and others are sure to follow. So it's a love hate relationship. I love it and the wife hates it!

I shot my Daisy 880 all throughout the 80’s. I had a group of friends (5 of us) and we spent out weekends in high school walking through the woods shooting out air rifles. Got away from it after college. In 2007 I got back into air rifles when I bought a Stoger springer to take on camping trips. Never shot the springers well. Later got a Benjamin 392 pumper and a Crosman 2240 co2 and they were much more fun to shoot. Eventually I got a Mrodair Varmit and pump... Then it just kept growing. It not for PCPs, I’d be shooting powder burners at the range.

I started with the Daisy 880 as a kid. That was one fun gun for a kid to have except for the soda straw scope it came with, but it worked. My dad hated chipmunks, the tore up the lawn wrecked the stone walls and detroyed his garden. He let us go after them whenever we wanted. In fact it was some what of an emergency if one was spotted in the yard, every one was running for a bb gun. When i was in collage, i would come home and find dad on the deck with an iced tea and the 880 waiting for one to show its self on the wall.

I didn't start back into airguns until about 10 years ago after i got married and had less time to go shooting at the range with the powder burners, funny how that works. I bought a Mac1 steroid and it was fun, then a Prod showed up, even more fun. But family duties even slowed that little bit of time i had. Now we just bought a new house with plenty of space and a shed to shot from, so with some long nights of research and a lot of reading here and at GTA i just got a TalonP and a DonnyFL Shogun, TalonP came today, and I am back to shooting again, AT HOME.

Lots of work to do with the new house, but there will also be time to set up a range in the back yard for some lead therapy. And the 880, I still have it. It will soon have a red dot so the kids, Boy will be 9 next week and the girl will be 7 in June, can learn to shoot. The Prod will probably get a red dot as well since it has an AR stock that can fit the kids better.

So that is my little PCP/ airgun story.

Thank you to everyone here and at GTA for telling there stories and journies. And thank you to all the wonderful youtube creators who helped to inspire the common man and woman to get into airguns in general and PCP's in particular. I am very new to this site, have been lurking for a while and don't have a lot to contribute but am very thirsty for knowledge.

PS. The new house has chimpunks, the battle continues.

Had a Red Squirrel problem. Went to Walmart and bought a Ruger (Umerex) Impact in .22. Couldn’t hit a paper plate at 20 yards. Figured it was the crappy included scope. Went to the local sporting goods store to get a new scope. The owner asked what I was going to put it on, and I told him an air rifle. He said that he didn’t have any scopes that would work and the air rifle would ruin any scope he had. I was sure he was full of bull, however a few days later I started doing some research. I found out that he was right and saved me from myself, almost... I learned about this PCP thing.

After a couple months of research here and GTA, I bought a nice used Condor SS in .22 with a 88cf bottle off the classifieds. That was about 5 years ago. Not much later I fell in love with a Gen 1 FX Impact .25. Got a couple more, Stormrider(disappointing), Gamo Coyote(regulated and shoots great), Gautlet .22(modded and just sold it). My latest is an Edgun R5M .25.

I still have the Ruger Impact and, with open sights it is very accurate at 30 yards. The FX Impact has kept me entertained over the years. Not a beginner gun, but great for my need to tinker with things. Shooting JSB .25 Knockouts at 970 with great results. My Yong Heng compressor broke after 2 years. Currently my Omega Air Charger is 3 years old and going strong. Love this hobby. I live in northern Minnesota and have 80 acres to shoot and hunt on when it’s not frozen solid.