• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

So do you like it HARD or soft......Noooooo your gun case?

Ordered a FX Wildcat Compact that I had my dealer upgrade to the longer sniper barrel. With that said the standard hard case that came with it would not fit with the longer barrel so I traded it back and now on the hunt for a good case. I'm sure there are pros and cons to each but what are the advantages of the hard cases over the soft and vice versa. Also a good place to order? What should I expect to pay for a decent case either way?

Last edited:
I personally like hard cases. I started off with 2 soft cases that I really liked but then, as time went on, any new rifle went into a hard case. From a storage perspective, I feel they store easier. I don't travel at all with my guns but I can see pros and cons. I recently bought 2 large rifle cases from Harbor Freight. They are heavy but they are well rated and you can get them for around $99 on sale. I haven't put rifles into them yet, ( winter projects ) but the quality, inside and out, is very good. Not flimsy by any stretch.
I also really liked the idea of the pick n plug foam at first but now I'd like to try some hard foam. Maybe once I picknpluck to fit my next rifle I'll try spraying it with plasti-dip or something like that so the foam keeps it shape.

Reactions: MEC17670 and Opfor
If you don't keep your gun in a safe then keep it in a hard case to protect it from gremlins, kids and pets.

If you do keep your gun in a safe, maybe get both?

I keep my guns in a safe and prefer a soft case when in use because for me a soft case is easier to handle in all respects than a cumbersome hard case. Once my gun is out of a soft case I can simply toss the case aside, drape it over the shooting bench or fold it in half to get it out of the way. I've also folded a soft case up to use as a forward rest on occasion. If a soft case falls from where I put it it wont break or break some THING. I am VERY careful with my guns and confident handling and transporting them in the car so have never felt the need for a hard case.

If I travelled long distances, carried a lot of gear or had said occupants above in my vehicle, I'd put my gun in a hard case en route then switch to a soft case upon arrival.

Last edited:
Depends on what I am doing.

If I am traveling a distance I will keep the rifles in a dedicated pelican case to keep them safe. If I am heading to the field to go hunting or hiking I will toss the rifle in a backpack shooting mat case that I have. Just need to be careful while moving it, but it keeps them relatively safe.

Ordered a FX Wildcat Compact that I had my dealer upgrade to the longer sniper barrel. With that said the standard hard case that came with it would not fit with the longer barrel so I traded it back and now on the hunt for a good case. I'm sure there are pros and cons to each but what are the advantages of the hard cases over the soft and vice versa. Also a good place to order? What should I expect to pay for a decent case either way?
Like most of the others seem to suggest, I'd go with a hard case (it's what I use for my own air rifles, pistols and accessories that aren't being used on a fairly regular basis). The best case I can make for this is simply to keep the item safe and in tip-top condition. Drop, knock over or otherwise abuse the hard case, with lots of interior foam padding and straps to keep the goodies inside from banging around against the sides (I added straps affixed to the interior top and bottom and cut slits through the padding for them to cases that didn't come with straps already installed) and your airgun/firearm/whatever still should be intact and gorgeous when you open 'er back up.

However, drop your stunningly beautiful, one of a kind, all-time favorite rifle in its soft carry bag/sock/case with what by comparison is practically no padding and lots of wiggle room inside... and off snaps the bolt, hammer, front sight and/or whatever hit the concrete below first, or the scope, laser, flash, bipod, etcetera is damaged or wrecked, and then the loose, busted bits and pieces dig huge gouges out of what used to be a gorgeously finished wood stock, or they scratch up the up-until-then unblemished metal/plastic/whatever receiver, barrel and/or other areas of the rifle and for the big finish, inflict other minor to major damage you'd rather not even imagine. I'm sure you get the idea. ;-)

It's entirely possible I'm overstating the dangers just a bit <ahdem>, but if it's going to be stored even for a short period of time, I secure my toy in a hard case (even a cheapo hard case is better than the typical, quilted bag soft case). Naturally, a soft case still could be useful when traipsing around out in the field and such, but I learned from bitter experience that a hard case provides more protection for my treasured toys than a soft one. :) Of course, you should go with whatever works best for you. Good luck!

I keep my guns locked in a safe (a legal requirement) unless traveling. I like the air to be able to circulate around them and worry about moisture if storing them in hard or soft cases for extended times.

I use a case when transporting a gun the the trunk of the car (again, a legal requirement) and prefer a hard one for protection from bumps.

In the hunting area, guns must be cased outside the legal shooting times so for early morning and late evening hunts I use a soft case or a gun sock.

In late season cold weather (snowy conditions) hunts I'll put a cold gun in a waterproof sock to protect it from condensation when bringing it into a warm home - that or I'll take the stock off and dry the gun with a hairdryer.

Cheers!

if you're going to store your equipment in hard cases for extended periods, you may wish to avoid open cell foam (that can hold moisture) or consider desiccant packs in the case. you can get reusable ones now.
Not very familiar with hard cases. So of the two cases that I've narrowed it down two are either of these considered OPEN CELL?

Not very familiar with hard cases. So of the two cases that I've narrowed it down two are either of these considered OPEN CELL?

yes. pluck foam and egg crate are both open cell (can act like a sponge).
again this is fine if you don't get them wet and/or use desiccant for long term storage.
something like kaizen foam is closed cell. you can buy sheets on amazon or get pre-cut pieces.

Last edited: