• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

So close of getting my coyote#6...

Max115

Jul 15, 2018
BC, Canada
Yup, I failed again last night of shooting my coyote#6 at the rat farm. I have had success with my Coyote#5 back in December of last year with the same setup shooting from the loft. I thought it would be easy doing the same setup again, but I was dead wrong.

So here is my story leading up to my hunt for coyote#6.

I have started baiting the coyotes with rats and rabbits since last month and my trail cam footages captured last week showed a lone coyote was returning to the spot at around 5am. With that information I prepared my self by tagging a couple of rabbits a couple of nights before and then decided to give it a go this past weekend.

On Saturday morning I went to the farm to zero check my Impact MK2 shooting the H&N 25gr Gen 2 slugs at 28 yards out to 35 yards where the trail cam footages had shown where the coyote was mostly hanging around at. I was confident after the zero check and left with high expectation of tagging this coyote. I spent the rest of the day just relaxing with the family and rest up for my 3am start.

Well, I tried to nap for a bit before leaving for the farm at 2am, but I was too excited (and dumb) and left at 11pm instead. I should have known better as it was raining lightly that coyotes don't like to come out in the rain, at least that is my understanding. But I wanted to set up the rabbits bait sooner rather than later. So that was what I did when I got to the location. I staked one rabbit into the ground with a metal rod and the second rabbit just laying free beside it. My thought was for the coyote to take the first one and then return for the second rabbit when I would have a bit more time to shoot. Well, the plan went South pretty quick after sitting in my chair and enduring the cold for 5 hours. Yes, 5 hours of nothing happening except my body slowly freezing up like a steak in a freezer.

I spent my time glassing the field with my Nikon Monarch M511, 10x42 binoculars every two minutes or so. This binoculars can see profile of objects very well in low light condition so I can actually see rabbits and coyotes in the field. I did tried to close my eyes to rest but I was too afraid to pass out and missed out when the coyote appeared.

The first two hours wasn't that bad as I have had many nights like this before doing coyote hunt. Also, it wasn't as cold as back in December of last year when I was stalking the coyote#5. As the minutes ticked by slowly, things were going downhill from there. I began to feel colder and uncomfortable, but I was too stubborn and refused to quit as usual. Fatigue was creeping in and I felt like I was beginning to see objects that were not there. Ya, hunting in the dark cold night is not fun.

At 11:23pm, I saw a rabbit hopping around in the field. Perfect, I thought. It would draw the coyotes in. But nothing happened and I was still 5 hours too early.
At 12:25am, I saw movements in the field and I looked thru my binoculars and saw two ducks walking around. I thought, great, now the coyotes would definitely try to pounce on them. Again nothing happened.

Thru out the night I would hear dogs barking in the distance or ducks getting stirred up by something. Usually that meant coyotes are in the area. I waited eagerly and nothing happened.

Back to some stretching and moving my hands and feet to keep my body warm. Time continued to pass on by rather quickly.

3:13am. I saw movement in the field below and I tried scanning the area with my Pard007S paired with my Element Helix 6-24x50mm scope. The field of view was too narrow with this setup and it was extremely difficult to scan and spot the target. My trail cam actually pick up the image of the coyote running by and did a quick circle before disappearing thru the fence. This was when I made my first mistake. I initially spotted the coyote thru my binoculars. I then turned on and pressed record with my NV200 that was setup beside me. Looking back now, I think my movement or the quick startup light from the LCD had alerted the coyote and causing it to flee. Not only I might had spooked the coyote, the batteries of the NV200 had died as I didn't have it fully charged up from previous used.

35 minutes later, the coyote returned. I think this time it was me taking too long to power up my Pard007S and not able to locate the coyote quick enough. I have reviewed the trail cam footages and it looked like I would have had more time to place the crosshair on it to shoot if I had located it with my scope. That was my second missed opportunity.

Because I knew this coyote was very alert and cautious, I didn't want to turn on my IR on my gun when I was trying to scan around. Again with the limited field of view and no IR, it was impossible to locate this coyote. Trail cam showed it was in the field briefly and then took off again.

By now as you could imagine, I was both jacked with adrenaline and fatigued with cold fingers with a mind that wasn't 100%. My chance of success was pretty much at zero.

Finally I spotted the coyote on its forth return at 4:37am. I had my gun/scope on it, but it didn't stop moving. I believed it was due to the tiny "click" sound when I engaged the button of the external 850nm torch mounted on the side of my Impact. The sound must have echoed loudly in the quiet dead morning where the coyote took no time to flee thru the fence one last time. It never returned and sadly I had to pick myself up and gathered my gears to head home.

What an exhausting night. I started with upmost enthusiasm and confidence that I would get my coyote#6 if one was to show up. I thought I had everything planned out and prepared. But it wasn't to be, at least not this night/morning.

Another valuable lesson learned. If I truly want to be successful at shooting these coyotes, I would have to abandon any recordings and gadget to avoid unnecessary distraction. Unfortunately, I would like to capture footages and share with my viewers, lol.

Anyway, I am not throwing in the towels just yet. I will continue to bait and try my luck next time out. I will post this video soon.

Thanks for reading...

Yup, I failed again last night of shooting my coyote#6 at the rat farm. I have had success with my Coyote#5 back in December of last year with the same setup shooting from the loft. I thought it would be easy doing the same setup again, but I was dead wrong.

So here is my story leading up to my hunt for coyote#6.

I have started baiting the coyotes with rats and rabbits since last month and my trail cam footages captured last week showed a lone coyote was returning to the spot at around 5am. With that information I prepared my self by tagging a couple of rabbits a couple of nights before and then decided to give it a go this past weekend.

On Saturday morning I went to the farm to zero check my Impact MK2 shooting the H&N 25gr Gen 2 slugs at 28 yards out to 35 yards where the trail cam footages had shown where the coyote was mostly hanging around at. I was confident after the zero check and left with high expectation of tagging this coyote. I spent the rest of the day just relaxing with the family and rest up for my 3am start.

Well, I tried to nap for a bit before leaving for the farm at 2am, but I was too excited (and dumb) and left at 11pm instead. I should have known better as it was raining lightly that coyotes don't like to come out in the rain, at least that is my understanding. But I wanted to set up the rabbits bait sooner rather than later. So that was what I did when I got to the location. I staked one rabbit into the ground with a metal rod and the second rabbit just laying free beside it. My thought was for the coyote to take the first one and then return for the second rabbit when I would have a bit more time to shoot. Well, the plan went South pretty quick after sitting in my chair and enduring the cold for 5 hours. Yes, 5 hours of nothing happening except my body slowly freezing up like a steak in a freezer.

I spent my time glassing the field with my Nikon Monarch M511, 10x42 binoculars every two minutes or so. This binoculars can see profile of objects very well in low light condition so I can actually see rabbits and coyotes in the field. I did tried to close my eyes to rest but I was too afraid to pass out and missed out when the coyote appeared.

The first two hours wasn't that bad as I have had many nights like this before doing coyote hunt. Also, it wasn't as cold as back in December of last year when I was stalking the coyote#5. As the minutes ticked by slowly, things were going downhill from there. I began to feel colder and uncomfortable, but I was too stubborn and refused to quit as usual. Fatigue was creeping in and I felt like I was beginning to see objects that were not there. Ya, hunting in the dark cold night is not fun.

At 11:23pm, I saw a rabbit hopping around in the field. Perfect, I thought. It would draw the coyotes in. But nothing happened and I was still 5 hours too early.
At 12:25am, I saw movements in the field and I looked thru my binoculars and saw two ducks walking around. I thought, great, now the coyotes would definitely try to pounce on them. Again nothing happened.

Thru out the night I would hear dogs barking in the distance or ducks getting stirred up by something. Usually that meant coyotes are in the area. I waited eagerly and nothing happened.

Back to some stretching and moving my hands and feet to keep my body warm. Time continued to pass on by rather quickly.

3:13am. I saw movement in the field below and I tried scanning the area with my Pard007S paired with my Element Helix 6-24x50mm scope. The field of view was too narrow with this setup and it was extremely difficult to scan and spot the target. My trail cam actually pick up the image of the coyote running by and did a quick circle before disappearing thru the fence. This was when I made my first mistake. I initially spotted the coyote thru my binoculars. I then turned on and pressed record with my NV200 that was setup beside me. Looking back now, I think my movement or the quick startup light from the LCD had alerted the coyote and causing it to flee. Not only I might had spooked the coyote, the batteries of the NV200 had died as I didn't have it fully charged up from previous used.

35 minutes later, the coyote returned. I think this time it was me taking too long to power up my Pard007S and not able to locate the coyote quick enough. I have reviewed the trail cam footages and it looked like I would have had more time to place the crosshair on it to shoot if I had located it with my scope. That was my second missed opportunity.

Because I knew this coyote was very alert and cautious, I didn't want to turn on my IR on my gun when I was trying to scan around. Again with the limited field of view and no IR, it was impossible to locate this coyote. Trail cam showed it was in the field briefly and then took off again.

By now as you could imagine, I was both jacked with adrenaline and fatigued with cold fingers with a mind that wasn't 100%. My chance of success was pretty much at zero.

Finally I spotted the coyote on its forth return at 4:37am. I had my gun/scope on it, but it didn't stop moving. I believed it was due to the tiny "click" sound when I engaged the button of the external 850nm torch mounted on the side of my Impact. The sound must have echoed loudly in the quiet dead morning where the coyote took no time to flee thru the fence one last time. It never returned and sadly I had to pick myself up and gathered my gears to head home.

What an exhausting night. I started with upmost enthusiasm and confidence that I would get my coyote#6 if one was to show up. I thought I had everything planned out and prepared. But it wasn't to be, at least not this night/morning.

Another valuable lesson learned. If I truly want to be successful at shooting these coyotes, I would have to abandon any recordings and gadget to avoid unnecessary distraction. Unfortunately, I would like to capture footages and share with my viewers, lol.

Anyway, I am not throwing in the towels just yet. I will continue to bait and try my luck next time out. I will post this video soon.

Thanks for reading...
Max , As usual , great write up. I 'm w/ you on the gadgetry dealing w/ video. I'm no techie , it's all I can do to find the critter & focus my ATN scope to pull off the shot, while sometimes leaning out the window of the stone wall at my shooting station. Even if I'd try recording I'd never be able to retrieve the data ( did I mention I'm no techie ?). It's been suggested by farm hands to go after coyote here , as there are plenty around. I figure they are probably more of a benefit to the farmer by culling groundhogs. And before any readers get their Fruit of the Looms in a bunch, let me say I normally get 75 to 100+ hogs a year , AND winter walks show rabbits are prolific here also. I don't hunt small game anymore . Imagine what the situation would be like w/ out predators & raptors.Most of my kills go to designated spots that are visited by bald eagles , hawks , vultures , fox and of course , coyote. From the amount of raccoons roadkilled , I suspect they are most likely more of a predator to wildlife and suburban life issues here than anything else. I will be headed to the Great American Outdoor Show this week. Hoping to score on another scope more suited to attach my NV100 to for another night setup . Keep at it , old Wylie will make another round !

In the past I've baited them in my backyard with deer parts after butchering my deer. I would throw the stuff out where my garden was giving me a 30 yd. shot from my upstairs window. I've killed two with my crossbow but none yet with an airgun, well Actually I shot at one with my .50 AEA challenger last year and after investigating I discovered I gut shot it.(Oh well, still dead coyote) I cannot believe how fidgety they are. Most of the time just when you pull the trigger they move. I have to be real careful opening the window, I open the screen part all the way ahead of time and then close the other one to where it just touches the sill. When I hear the driveway sensor go off I run upstairs and very carefully lift the window just enough to shoot thru. What a friggen process but when you get one it's all worth it.

@Bulletbob. Thank you. Yeah, my adrenaline was over the top each and every time especially at the moment of spotting a coyote. I often forgot to breath and hyperventilating lol.

@Contndr35BB. Thank you for reading my short story. Yup too many things to fiddle with and precious seconds lost. I might just have to shoot and record after if I get another chance. Sounds like you have been keeping busy with your airgun shoot as well. Good job and keep at it.

@beerthief. My next day (Sunday) was pretty much hugging my pillow and blanket all day sleeping. Must be getting old as I couldn't handle the "hang over" anymore.

@Jimborg. Coyotes are very cautious and smart. I guess they need to be in order to survive. Yes, the reward is wonderful after a successful hunt.

Thank you all for reading and hopefully I will get my next coyote.

@Max115 Thanks for sharing. If you can afford it, consider grabbing a thermal handheld monocular/scanner to scan and locate yotes. Look for a minimum 384 resolution 1.5-2x base magnification if you can afford it. At least with these you have a wider field of view and you save battery life on your IR scope. Then maybe use your IR scope solely to take shots. It is definitely a good idea to eliminate using devices with audible clicking buttons and knobs. “Educated” coyotes are likely to take off after hearing these sounds.

Way to stick with it!! I enjoy your posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxtrouble
Sounds to me like you had opportunities and didn't make a shot. You didn't blow it though by taking a bad shot and spooking the coyote. Once spooked I have not seen a coyote come back for a while, like days. You will get another chance, bait it some more. I use a 2nd gen night monocular 3x and on the gun a Mini Wraith. Wait for a good shot. I just bought an electronic caller with a remote decoy. Haven't been out yet looking at next week. Good write up and good hunting. I use infrared to spot eyes. Just don't stare at them too long with infrared on.

@Ezana4CE. Thank you for your thermal suggestion. Yeah it would be a nice unit to have in my bag but not at the moment. This coyote definitely was very alert and cautious. I believe it was with the one that I tagged back in December. I have learned my mistake and I will do my best to out smart it next time.

@Sicumj. Looking back at the tail cam footage, I wouldn't think I had enough time to squeeze off the shot. In a way I am glad I didn't. It has returned the next morning and cleaned up the two rabbits that I had left as bait. Wish me luck this coming weekend.

@DrahtDog. Thank you for your suggestion. Yes I do have an e-caller but these coyotes live near by and they often come in to search for food at this location. With me baiting them with rats, they return more frequently. Just have to get lucky with the timing. After my failed attempt, I am planning to leave as many rats I could shoot and gather on the spot; just going to let it or they eat the first few without trying to shoot them. I figured once they tasted the food without any disturbance, they would be more relax and drop their guard. Fingers crossed for this weekend.

In my younger days I did a lot of calling on fox and crows. You have to be selective when you use it. It is easy to over do calling in an area and they become warry. You are on the right track. You have them baited and coming in. You only get one shot at these critters and they become wary of the area. Sounds like activity starts around 3am. Coyotes are programed to see quick movements, move slow and deliberate when getting ready for the shot. Cheap camouflaged netting works well for a blind. Good hunting.

Jim

Reactions: maxtrouble
Just because no one has I'll mention how critical scent control is. Getting there 4 or 5 hours early might have hurt more than it helped. Wind direction intensity etc and thermals ( heating rises, cooling air sinks ) both should play a role in where and when you set up. Best to wait for ideal conditions than go hopeing for the best. If he ever detects you getting close again will be much harder. Good luck and remember there's a reason it's called hunting.

@Sicumj. yes I have used the rabbit distress call before and that seems to be the best one to draw them in. My baiting method works well, just have to time it right and be there ahead of time to setup. I will have to change my method somewhat to outsmart it.

@fuznut. Unfortunately it would be difficult to not leave my scent in the area. I tried to just drop the bait and move away quickly. I next plan of attack is to shoot and collect as many rats I can and just let the coyote feasts on them at the beginning. I wouldn't even bother to move and get my gun ready. I will just monitor it thru my binoculars and then once it becomes less wary, I will attempt to get ready my gun and wait for it to return for the next rat.

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
Max115, many times those critters are skittish because of being preyed upon. My suggestion is to keep after them. They do know that they will be encountering human smells around the farm and with you in the loft and not giving off a prior alarming presence (like shooting at them) will probably have ultimately worked out in your favor.

One other thing, the back light and UV light coming off of your equipment is definitely making you glow like a beacon in relationship to an animal's vision. I have see many times where the local critter will not be alarmed by gunshots and steel spattering all around them (at the shooting range) but will not stand for me taking their pictures because the phone's residual light makes me glow like a beacon just sitting a hundred yards from them.

This is a doe from this week. She bolted after my screwing around with the camera/phone through the scope. It has happened many times in the past. If I would have just kept shooting over her back she would have went on about her business. Good luck with them 'yotes.

IMG_20230204_181050980~2.jpg

@Airgun-hobbyist. Yes I will continue my pursuit for my next coyote. I have tagged one last year with the same setup. I think this one was a pack with the one I shot so it probably still had the nightmare experience since. I am thinking of draping a dark cloth over the gun and my head so that the lights from the scope cam can be filtered out or concealed from the coyote view. I tried to be very careful and cover the scope piece with my face so that the light doesn't bounce off. My plan is to rely on the IR from the trail cam and not bother with my IR from my gun. Will see what happens in my next outing. Thanks for your comment.

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
@Ezana4CE. Yes I can but the recorded images from the 940nm would not be super crisp like it would with the 850nm IR. The Pard units are build for 840nm wavelength. I reason I know this because I had bought a 940nm after I got my Pard008. I didn't know any better, but I had wanted to add extra IR light to make the recording better. So I bought the 850nm after to compare. I ended up buying two 850nm for my HW100T running the Pard008.

Max I recommend you try this setup if you have the equipment to do so. Even trail cams may spook the critters because the IR is off then gets trigger to turn on. Use an always on webcam (green) with IR nightvision. The webcam will light up the baited area and alert you when a critter is in the zone. Leave the gun's IR light off. Place a wifi router (blue) midpoint between your webcam and shooting location. Place a battery pack (yellow) to power then webcam and router between the two. Shooter location (orange). Because the IR from the webcam is always on it doesn't spook the critters because no movement or change in lighting. Bait will something more enticing. I buy a Costco rotisserie chicken, I take off the meaty parts and leave the rest to use as bait. Critters can smell that more than dead rats and will move in to have meal.

Many phones may not use a wifi connection without an internet connection. If that's the case you may have to reconfigure the setup to use your phone as a hotspot. This may be problematic to get this tech to work, but if you can you get very closeup videos, alerts, and lighting. If you are willing to forego the close up videos and phone alerts you can skip and webcam, router and substitute a IR light and Harbor Freight driveway alarm (tape over the blinking light!).

1675851984983.png