• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Snowpeak SPA p35 woes

Quick question.... @JimD or anyone who's tinkered with the P35.

Is the p35 regulated from the factory?

Per SPA's website and various online dealers who sells the p35, it's regulated to my knowledge, but I have not opened one up to confirm.

I have problems with a recently delivered P35 in .22cal from Krale. There are two main issues I have with this rifle. #1 is the air cylinder. I believe the tube was damaged somewhere along the production process and it was welded, grounded/blended and paint/anodize before putting it together. There's a pinhole undercut where the repair was done. I'm concern about long term usage.

#2 is the extreme velocity swings. I shot about 4-5 magazines worth of pellets thru it and notice the sound difference after every shot. One would be sharper and the next would be much quieter. Here is a magazine's worth of chrono readings with 14.3gr Crosman Premiere HPs. This is with chrono attached to the shroud.

I have contacted Krale the last two days via email. It seems like they don't want to deal with the issues and trying to brush it off. Will wait til tomorrow for their next response. At this point, I'm very close to issuing a chargeback thru my credit card company.

p351.jpg
p352.jpg
p353.jpg

Cut and paste of Krale's response....

Sander | KRALE <[email protected]>
Wed, Jan 18 at 1:30 AM

Dear ,

Can you please send me a link to the manufacturer that it stated that the P35 is regulated? We do not advertise that this rifle is regulated.
I would also like a picture of the damage on the cylinder as you stated in your mail.

Met vriendelijke groet, / Kind regards

Achthoevenweg 367951 SK Staphorst
The Netherlands
[email protected]
www.krale.shop
+31 522 461284
On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 10:53 AM, Sander Kok wrote:
Dear ,

Thanks for your mail. Please note that this rifle does not come with a regulator. These spreads are quite extreme, but a new model does not solve this. I suggest placing a regulator for more consistent shots.
Met vriendelijke groet, / Kind regards

Yeah I don’t like the looks of that tube. To the regulator, I do not own one but my understanding is yes it is regulated, I would find it hard to believe my SPA/Artemis PP750 has a reg but P35 doesn’t.
Also:

It doesn't leak and has held air since I filled it up, but that pinhole is bothersome. Who knows what it looks like on the inside. If it fails, that's probably where it'll be.

I don't know why the rep from Krale is denying the regulator. On my most recent response, I sent him the links to the manufacturer and most of the online businesses who specifically stated that the p35 is indeed regulated. Either is he is a dumb a$$ or just plainly denying so they won't have to deal with it.

My p15 purchased last year is more consistent and the fps spread is no more than 10fps over 60 shots.

It doesn't leak and has held air since I filled it up, but that pinhole is bothersome. Who knows what it looks like on the inside. If it fails, that's probably where it'll be.

I don't know why the rep from Krale is denying the regulator. On my most recent response, I sent him the links to the manufacturer and most of the online businesses who specifically stated that the p35 is indeed regulated. Either is he is a dumb a$$ or just plainly denying so they won't have to deal with it.

My p15 purchased last year is more consistent and the fps spread is no more than 10fps over 60 shots.
I would de-gas remove the air tube and check the orings on the regulator, yes its regulated... https://spares.bagnallandkirkwood.co.uk/product/p15-p35-replacement-factory-regulator/

All three of my P35s are clearly regulated. I have only adjusted the 25 caliber but the shot strings on the 177 and 22 show they are clearly regulated. I would expect maybe 40 fps extreme thread from a "bad" regulator. Most of my regulated guns have been 20 something extreme spread when I did shot strings. I think your spread shows a clear problem that Krale should fix under warranty. I attached a P35 parts diagram which shows the regulator.

I had a shipping problem with my 177 and 22 and had some difficulty getting responses from Krale to emails. So I called them. I used my cell phone which was using my wifi and I got no bill for the call. I got MUCH better response after calling them. They were still not great, the guns were stuck at customs in the U. S. and they kind of wanted to say that wasn't their problem. But when I asked them for the shipping invoice which seemed, according to UPS, to be the issue they readily sent it to me allowing me to take care of the issue. They were always polite and seemed to want to do the right thing. After the one call, I had the id of a particular person and then exchanged emails with him just fine.

I'd call them and ask that they exchange your P35 for another one. I'd further ask them to cover the shipment both ways. My guess is the worst response will be that they want you to ship your gun to them but hopefully they will send you something allowing you to use their lower pricing and avoiding a hassle at UPS. I don't know if the mark on the airtube is a problem but I think the regulator is obviously messed up. I have not done it but it is possible to take the regulator out and see if you can find the problem but it won't be super easy and it's not something you should have to do on a brand new gun. If you decide to do more work please do not try and disassemble the airtube without degassing the gun. There is a screw on the back of the airtube that you unscrew slowly to let the air out. You will probably have to do this for shipping.

Strictly speaking they are right that they don't describe the gun as regulated but that seems more due to the relatively poor documentation SPA provides than anything else. It has a regulator and yours is not working well at all. All three of my P35s came from Krale, the last 2 were ordered in May of last year. I think they also have technicians that work on SPAs so perhaps they will want to fix your gun. That leaves you without a gun for a long time but is another potential solution.

View attachment P35 parts diagram.pdf

I don't think it's correct to say sub-$500 guns require modification to perform well. But it seems that regulators, like barrels, have higher variability in guns with lower prices. For instance, my P35-177 had an extreme spread of 26 fps and a std deviation of 8 over a 30 shot string near it's regulator setting. My P35-22 had a ES of 16 with a std deviation of 3.4 over a 30 shot string from 230 to 170 bar. The 22 is also more accurate, like 190+ on the 30 yard challenge. A Huma would likely fix the subject P35 but I wouldn't do that unless Krale won't take care of the problem which I think is unlikely.

OP

Your problem is one big reason I didn't buy a P35 from Krale. Not saying the P35's are bad but saying if a problem comes up it 's going to be a hassle dealing with it through Krale. Probably expensive with shipping and with the down time without the gun.

I purchased the Stoeger Bullshark , which is basically the P35,. I saved money over the Krale price plus the gun comes with a 5 yr warranty. I emailed the warranty department with a question and got a reply back promptly. The Bullshark is regulated also .

Hope you resolve your problem .

OP

Your problem is one big reason I didn't buy a P35 from Krale. Not saying the P35's are bad but saying if a problem comes up it 's going to be a hassle dealing with it through Krale. Probably expensive with shipping and with the down time without the gun.

I purchased the Stoeger Bullshark , which is basically the P35,. I saved money over the Krale price plus the gun comes with a 5 yr warranty. I emailed the warranty department with a question and got a reply back promptly. The Bullshark is regulated also .

I'm sure happy with my Bullshark. I've been busy making it my own, but I hope to have some pictures soon.

The only thing I didn't like about my Bullshark were the colored pieces. Some Krylon paint took care of that.

View attachment 325487
I made mine all black too. I took the spacers out and cut the tabs off with flush cut nippers and moved the scope forward about an inch. Problem solved and it looks much better.

Reactions: SacramentoSam
OP

I made mine all black too. I took the spacers out and cut the tabs off with flush cut nippers and moved the scope forward about an inch. Problem solved and it looks much better.
Where did you guys purchase the bullshark?

I'm sorry about your issue. Hopefully you can get a replacement tube directly from SPA. They take a while to respond, but they do seem to care about their customers.

Krale is great unless you have an issue. I bought an AA TX200 from them when everyone else was out of stock. This was at the time AA was supplying some of these with rusty barrels. I asked Krale to check the rifle before they sent it to confirm that there was no rust in the barrel breech. They said they did and shipped me the rifle. As usual, I had the rifle in just a few days (I had previously bought 6 HW rifles from them over the years). However, the rifle arrive with a rusty barrel and came in a box with a mismatched serial number. I contacted them and explained the situation and asked for a refund. Trying to deal with them to get my money back was a complete PITA, and took WEEKS of me hounding them trying to get a response and a resolution to the issue! I won't ever deal with them again after this.