• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Snow Wolf upgrades

Hi, all! I'm new to this channel, and this is my first post. I'm an American (Pittsburgh) but I've been living and working in Thailand now for about 17+ years. I've been into firearms since my Boy Scout days, but I'm new to airgunning. I recently bought a Snow Wolf M24, came with a scope and bipod for about $177. Is that about comparable to what they sell for in the states now? Can anyone give me their opinion on this rifle, quality, any 'quirks' etc? I only use it for pest control, mostly pigeons but a few rats now and then and target plinking with my 9yo daughter. My question is this: I'd like a few more FPS for a little more knock-down power with the pigeons. The price of the performance-improving kits seems almost as much as the rifle cost, and I'm reluctant to spend that much. I've seen vids on stretching the spring, and some kind of mod involving a few wraps of silicone (plumbing-type) tape somewhere near the hop-up end of the barrel. Can anyone give me more details or are these not worth pursuing? Also, can I get an estimate on the life of the stock (brass) 6.05mm barrel shooting only steel 6mm BBs? Would a tighter (6.01) steel barrel be worth it? Thanks!

Rocker welcome ur in the right place not sure what ur choices are for variety. Having fun with your daughter is the most important thing. Springers and break barrels are great. And theres some people who excel with them. Not really familiar with what you're shooting snow-peak model anyways most guys here and shoot pcps the run anywhere from $400to$2400. Each require air source and the air storage source HYNZIE

CEA1960, 6mm is the standard size for the round plastic airsoft 'pellets', but there are also steel 'balls' available in this size. The Snow Wolf is made in China (unfortunately) but is on many of the review boards. It seems to be a fairly popular rifle.

Spysir, I'm pretty sure I mentioned in my post that these WERE "metal BBs", although larger than the standard .177 cal. 

John L57, I know it's an airsoft rifle, but I'm using only steel BBs for pests. The airsoft forums ONLY want to discuss plastic BBs, and apparently sites like this don't now how to handle the question either. I also mentioned in my post that I shoot live pests, although I don't consider it 'hunting' in the traditional sense. My primary targets are pigeons above my window ledges, and rats near my trash cans, 10-20 meters max. Does that fit your description of "small game" and "close range"? But I'll take your advice and contact Evike.

I guess I'm confused at how I give specifics in my post and then have them repeated back to me as if they'd not been mentioned.

Thanks to all of you for replying, anyway. I appreciate it. Good luck to you.

@pghrocker Let me try to give some insight that I hope can help a little bit. It is rather difficult for some of us to give input on 1 a gun we are not familar with and 2 (specially) a platform we are not familiar with, even if they have similar working components. The ammo being shot is of importance as well, as most of us shoot pellets, not round balls of any kind. Hopefully someone here does have Airsoft hobby experience, and may be able to help further. 

COST. I feel pretty confident in thinking that no one wants to spend a penny more than they have to in order to get the most accurate and powerful gun they could get. Most new folk to this hobby will end up learning the hard way that it will cost way more than you ever thought you were willing to spend to stay in the game. Most of the time it is worth spending the most you can up front and will avoid buying twice. I have a gun I paid $200 U.S. for in my shed that I may be able to use to grab by the barrel to beat down an attacker, or as a door stop. When I bought it I thought it was my for ever gun and cringed at the thought of spending so much on a "BB gun" My cheapest gun now costs about $650 with mods included. 

Power/Speed If you want more power or speed you will need to first have a way of knowing somehow where you are at to begin with and be able to measure the improvements of the mods applied. If you are able to get your hands on a Chronograph somehow, it would serve you well. But most of the time it will be accuracy rather than power that will give you better results than power. What good will it be to have a much power as an AK 47, and miss your target each time by 15cm? A lot of the European countries are limited to low power guns. They focus their energies on accuracy and are very successful in taking down game like rabbit out to as far as 60 meters. 

I think the distance you consider short distance is relative. I would say for most of us 20 meters is close range, but that is an individual assessment.

I hope this helps at least in giving you some perspective and hopefully there is someone here that has better knowledge on this subject that could help you achieve what you want without spending a whole lot. 

Best Wishes

Christian