Sneak Peek at the DonnyFl RYU and YOKOZUNA

These really do look sweet, and look like they are upping their internals game. People can say what they want about paying for looks, but I’ve come to the conclusion that you might as well pay for looks when it comes to moderators.

I have tried a bunch of moderators, from just the old hollow can on the Impact to fancy internals like there are on STO, and many times the sound difference between them so was negligible, it didn’t matter what I used. I liked the hollow can on an old Impact more than I liked ones made from 3 or 4 popular manufacturers. More often, accuracy choice has won out. People get on here and ask where is your sound test, but I haven’t found a sound test to be necessary in any comparison I’ve done to choose which I like better. The loudness, has been so close, it has never been a deciding factor. (Each user has their own needs.) I usually just tell people now to get the one they like the looks best on or the one that is most consistent.
I have found a simple hollow can to be very effective in some cases, like you were saying, not that much different from a moderator with stuff on the inside, especially if the gun has an air stripper or some space in the shroud.

Reactions: Nutcracker
When I first joined airgun forums, both GTA and here, it was a no no to call a moderator anything else, especially the S word. Moderators would come on and if you were lucky you got a warning, if not, the thread got locked out.

Two words were allowed- moderator and an LDC.
We all used to police ourselves and especially others not in the know. Please don’t come down on Richieg as he’s doing exactly what we were all suppose to do back in the day.

Seems with the mass amount of PB folks coming into the airgun community as of the last couple of years that rule hasn’t been policed as it should.

If we don’t stay strict to keeping things about all Airguns then before long topics on reloading get brought up, pics of sniper rifles or long range creedmoores get shown, then one day our classifieds section has powder burner parts getting bought n sold.

Last edited:
I agree with Bigragu. Guys age how long they’ve been involved in this hobby real quick with the words they use. You would also get a time out or the boot if you started a topic about how to build one. Even I get tired of calling little bullets slugs but it’s what we do. We have to at least try. Once we’re screwed, there is no Time Machine to hop in and try to do it differently.

I got my hands on one. It's seriously next level. I can't wait to test it out. I just need to figure out which gun is most worthy of this thing!

1692066716956.png

Last edited:
Over the years I have tried to measure about ten moderators with a sound level meter, both cone-based (Wolf Airguns) and cages with sound-absorbing material (Weihrauch, Hugget, Huma etc.). The cone-based ones (like these two) lower the noise by a few decibels on the AC, unlike the others. Why should these be better? If someone shows us the test with a sound level meter then we can evaluate it better. Thanks

I'm curious about something. If he's not selling in the US because of the heat from the feds, how can a person even purchase one in the US and if they do, not worry about the alphabet people kicking their door in?
Perhaps a forum member with legal resources can find the case summary to show us the details, of the charges

Nice write up. In the future, please refrain from using the misnomer "Silencer", stick with the terminology that DonnyFL and many other manufacturers use "Moderator"!

I agree, with what others have stated, the color mismatch between the base and modules is visually unpleasant.
Don't be a "Word Policeman"... Not your job. Not in your job description...

Reactions: allinssd
These really do look sweet, and look like they are upping their internals game. People can say what they want about paying for looks, but I’ve come to the conclusion that you might as well pay for looks when it comes to moderators.

I have tried a bunch of moderators, from just the old hollow can on the Impact to fancy internals like there are on STO, and many times the sound difference between them so was negligible, it didn’t matter what I used. I liked the hollow can on an old Impact more than I liked ones made from 3 or 4 popular manufacturers. More often, accuracy choice has won out. People get on here and ask where is your sound test, but I haven’t found a sound test to be necessary in any comparison I’ve done to choose which I like better. The loudness, has been so close, it has never been a deciding factor. (Each user has their own needs.) I usually just tell people now to get the one they like the looks best on or the one that is most consistent.
Reasonable but the reason vendors don't do sound tests is really quite simple. They don't want you to know exactly what their moderators are doing. They don't want to have to explain to you what all that terminology means. They don't design for silencing. If it silences a little then it's in the ball park with the rest of the designs which really don't work. Find a moderator that really does work, something like a Huma, or a Weirauch and compare it to the subject moderator. You will immediately hear the difference.

It really would not be that hard to set up a standardized test for moderators. No you don't need a high end sensor lab to compare one moderator to another. All you need is a reasonably good microphone which captures to a file type that does NOT compress the audio and a couple of pieces of freeware software to do the analysis. It doesn't hurt to learn a few things about echos and how to ensure your pickup is not clipping. That's about it.

Vendors don't do that kind of test because they don't want to make that comparison. That's an opinion and we all know what opinions are worth and everyone has heard the old saw about what they are like so just take it in and move on. Your's and mine don't have to agree and I am not looking for a fight.

Reactions: M0ist0ne
Over the years I have tried to measure about ten moderators with a sound level meter, both cone-based (Wolf Airguns) and cages with sound-absorbing material (Weihrauch, Hugget, Huma etc.). The cone-based ones (like these two) lower the noise by a few decibels on the AC, unlike the others. Why should these be better? If someone shows us the test with a sound level meter then we can evaluate it better. Thanks
It is a good point as far as it goes. A problem with using a dB meter and not a "spectrum analyzer" (which you can download for your phone BTW) it that ALL dB meters, no matter what they cost, either average or calculate the RMS value of the various frequencies over some unknown (to you) period of time. There is no industry standard that defines the length of that time and it has an enormous influence on the measurement you get.

So for example, I capture an audio file with a microphone that creates a faithful copy of the sound of a shot. Lets say that shot takes 200ms from the last sound of the action to the time the noise of the shot returns to the noise floor. If my window (the period of the sample) is exactly 200ms the average might be 76 dB. If it is and my dB meter uses a 400ms window the number it reports will be 3 dBs LESS so it will be 73 dB. BUT if it uses a sample window of 100ms the number it reports could easily be 10 dBs HIGHER because the sound of the muzzle blast is concentrated towards the beginning of the pulse. You are averaging over a time when the muzzle blast is the highest in the latter case. This is why dB meters are said to be inaccurate. They aren't inaccurate. They just aren't standardized.

Then in walks "AUDACITY". If you take a video with your phone, in a format which does not compress the audio, you can strip out the audio to a file (also in a non-compressed format like a .WAV) and use that as input to the Audacity program to do the analysis you are seeing in my profile posts.

Maybe we should set up a standardized test methodology using these tools and start doing our own tests?

When I first joined airgun forums, both GTA and here, it was a no no to call a moderator anything else, especially the S word. Moderators would come on and if you were lucky you got a warning, if not, the thread got locked out.

Two words were allowed- moderator and an LDC.
We all used to police ourselves and especially others not in the know. Please don’t come down on Richieg as he’s doing exactly what we were all suppose to do back in the day.

Seems with the mass amount of PB folks coming into the airgun community as of the last couple of years that rule hasn’t been policed as it should.

If we don’t stay strict to keeping things about all Airguns then before long topics on reloading get brought up, pics of sniper rifles or long range creedmoores get shown, then one day our classifieds section has powder burner parts getting bought n sold.
Bull hockey. Don't be the "Word Police", not your job. Not in your job description. The moderators and the forum owner decide which words to ban, not you, not me. They also decide what pictures to allow, what things can be discussed and how we have to behave, not you, not me.

Don't be a "Word Policeman"... Not your job. Not in your job description...
He isnt. Those that keep using silencer will do so around the unknowing public and before too long we will catch the wrath and infringements that we dont want. We had a clueless manufacturer here calling them that and I called them out for it. Besides silencers are a misnomer and even for firearms they are an incorrect term.

When I got back into paintball in 2005 the first thing I looked for was suppressors for them. I had used them ten years earlier and had won matches because of them. Sadly the alphabet agencies had stepped and stopped it and screwed it up.

The more we use the incorrect terminology the more that it will be used and the sooner this will be infringed upon.