Smooth twist x vs lw barrels.

I dont own any lw barrels but i hear they are great on accuracy but get fowl quick. So you have to clean the barrels like after 100 shots. As for smooth twist barrels I only have experience with the impact and it shoot accurately and I never clean the barrels. I watch some of Ted's and Matt's videos and they claim smooth twist barrels clean itself with each shot cause pellet pushes out any debris. Anyone put a smooth twist x up again an lw and shoot which one is better at say 100 plus yards. Also which one needs more cleaning. Best barrel would be one that shoot great and need less or no cleaning at all 

Aloha Shinyknight,

I have several guns with LW barrels and have never had to clean the barrels after a 100 pellets. Depending on which gun, I have to clean the barrel after around 700 pellets. But that goes both my LW and twist x barrels. 
I usually just clean the barrels after I see my groups start opening up more than 1.5 inch at 100 yards.

Aloha, Keone

I'm not sure if you are asking about the Smooth Twist X liners, or the original ST solid barrel. My experience is limited to one of each, the original ST barrel in a Royale 400, and the ST X liner system in a Crown. I found the Crown needed cleaning relatively often, and the Royale very seldom. I still have the Royale, so I guess that states my preference. LW barrels are good, I have several in different rifles, and I have not found them to foul any more frequently than other barrels. Everyone would love a barrel that is accurate and never needs cleaning, doesn't often happen. 

My lw in my airforce has 300 rds through it. It's stupid accurate. I have beat fx guys and also others using ataman Vulcan etc at my club. I tie into my external regulater connected to the great white tank and I'm every bit as accurate as anyone else. The only excuse I have when I lose is when I suck. I will clean it when accuracy diminishes but for now 300 and counting and all seems good. Not saying all barrels are the same tho. I have been very impressed though 

My barrel on my Red Wolf needed cleaning lots early on and then calmed down , now I am shooting mostly slugs I need to keep on top of the cleaning because the slugs foul up the barrel far more than pellets do it seems . I need to clean it after every 100 shots to make sure accuracy stays bang on . Using lube on slugs cuts down cleaning a little bit but I still make sure its totally clean after 100 shots for sure , I can use pellets and shoot loads and loads and it does not need that much care to be honest . 

Rog

I have a LW polygonal barrel in my TM1000 that I use for BR competition. If I don't clean the barrel after the second 25 shot card, accuracy does fall off, although it may be imperceptible to most. But the difference between winning or losing a match is a couple of "9s" instead of "10s". I've owned lots of rifles over the years: Air Arms, HW, RAW, Air Force, RWS, FWB, and FX. All of them shot well and it would be hard to say whether one manufacturers barrel is better than another. All manufacturers barrels vary in accuracy, even the best LW and FX. The best competitors cherry pick the best barrels for their rifles. Why do you think Ernest Rowe has a video showing his method of polishing STX barrels? If they were perfect from the factory, this wouldn't be necessary.

I have all barrels except CZ in different rifles. My own perception of the fouling is related to velocity. We've been pushing the envelope on velocity and power and I definitely have to clean in the 100 shot area on all the barrels going much over 900 fps unless lubed. Can't say any are worse than any other. My 25 Crown was miserable initially but so was my Red Wolf 22 and 25. Finding a lube on the Smoothtwist X was pretty tricky as they REALLY don't like lubed pellets . Fwb, HW, and Steyr barrels have been pretty good but I lube pellets in them and generally don't try to go above 920. I only have 2 TJ barrels and both have been bad about fouling but I'm running them in the 920 and above area. One exception so far is my Korean's. I've had or have 6 different rifles with 2 extra barrels I found that I have yet to pull a single flake of lead from. They are not ultra smooth either. They are hammer forged but so are the TJs and Steyr's.

Just my experiences so far.

Bob

Just read this post, want to add I have had 5 LW BARRELS 3-poly, 1-12 groove, 1-4 groove .30cal. The .30 hardly ever needed cleaning and when cleaned settled down quickly (10-shots) here is something I can’t confirm just my opinion!, when looking down the bores of these barrels with my bore scope I see some leading before and after cleaning? So at first thinking it’s lead building up on top of the lands and groove’s it’s actually lead filling in the low spots of the lands and groove’s? (Want to clarify this is always in parallel with lands & grooves never perpendicular to them!) Now I’m doing a test! For last 3mo. Have not used any chemicals to clean barrels only patches and cleaning pellets! I will add the FX liner in .22 seems to have less leading or “less low spots”? Mind you this is just my thoughts and by no means should this be taken as fact or my expertise... ( wanted to add I do find some flakes of lead on my tight fitting patches! ) just reread this post, after I wrote this I have seen considerable amounts of fouling in my Fx barrel I’ve got some issues to work through in this barrel?