• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Smooth Twist X barrel liners

BR549

Apr 21, 2018
TX
My next purchase will be a .30 air rifle. Likely an FX Boss, because I like a more traditional style platform, with the sturdiness and consistency that is available with such a platform. I hunt and I am of the opinion that the Boss is probably more appropriate for such activity than the newer Crown. I know some might disagree with my premise of sturdiness between these two models,and that is ok, because my real point of discussion is the possibility a Smooth Twist X barrel for the Boss and other "solid barrel" designs.
Barrel liners have been used to restore rimfire rifles to good shooting status for many years, often in antique type guns to preserve overall appearance.
I like the new X style rifling and it looks like it might have the potential to improve overall accuracy. It occurs to me that solid barrels, permanently lined with an X barrel liner, would be practical and desirable. As such, they could even be retrofitted to previous models. I don't know, maybe too much pipe dreaming,,,,

Interesting comment, Only thing I know of using a barrel liner for was really converting old BP big bore over to smaller bore smokeless.

Read an article once that said (for a fire arm) a barrels life is measured in hours....sounds about right, and that is a real long time.

How long do you think that soft lead pellet is spending in your barrel....half a sec, a third, quarter...Airguns don't really have a heat cycle issue.

Interesting, I have never seen a rim fire lined....I don't think I have seen many fire arms done, Seen them re cut for a modern cartridge when the old rimfire went away so the gun could still be enjoyed, but lined.

Could you please point to your sources, I would like to educate myself on this.

Interesting, I have never seen a rim fire lined....I don't think I have seen many fire arms done, Seen them re cut for a modern cartridge when the old rimfire went away so the gun could still be enjoyed, but lined.

Could you please point to your sources, I would like to educate myself on this.

Hope my links helped educate you bud.........

How long do you think that soft lead pellet is spending in your barrel....half a sec, a third, quarter...Airguns don't really have a heat cycle issue.

In my mind, the OP wasn’t speaking toward replacing the “worn out” rifling of an airgun barrel with an STX liner. Rather, he was suggesting that a solid barrel would be more desirable for him than a “liner” made rigid by a thin shroud which really isn’t rigid. 

With that said, it would be nice to replace an airgun barrel’s rifling with a STX liner if you wanted to, not necessarily because it’s “worn-out” from use. Say the barrel didn’t shoot well and there are many that do not.

I could turn a .25 Taipan Veteran Long into a .30 with a STX liner and a probe. Better regulator, better mag system, has anti-double load feature, more robust and would be sweeeet!!!

Would it be the same process as the rimfire....is there enough meat on the barrel to do that kind of machine work?

Would it not be much more easy to just change out the barrel?

This seems like it is a huge amount of very expensive work on a gun you just want to change the caliber.....why not just get a different rifle.

I could turn a .25 Taipan Veteran Long into a .30 with a STX liner and a probe. Better regulator, better mag system, has anti-double load feature, more robust and would be sweeeet!!!

Would it be the same process as the rimfire....is there enough meat on the barrel to do that kind of machine work?

This seems like it is a huge amount of very expensive work on a gun you just want to change the caliber.....why not just get a different rifle.

That’s not fun! First off, I like the Taipan but it’s not available in .30. If you have the resources, why not take advantage of them and create something unique?

Have you seen how skinny those STX liners are? Get a new gun!! Heck man, that’s expensive.

That’s not fun! First off, I like the Taipan but it’s not available in .30. If you have the resources, why not take advantage of them and create something unique?

Have you seen how skinny those STX liners are? Get a new gun!! Heck man, that’s expensive.

Do you think the machine work to drill it out, lap it, and do everything else is going to be cheap....plus is there enough meat there.

But it is fun to dream.