• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Smooth Twist vs LW in wind condition.

"teeken"Does Smooth Twist barrel make pellets more sensitive to wind than LW barrel?.
It is probably not measurable either way. I don't think anyone would be able to predict which would be more sensitive. Twist rate would be more important than type of rifling (I think) although I have speculated that the rougher surface of a pellet shot from a normally rifled bore might show more Magnus effect.

Yeah, as far as I have seen, there is no one who's been able to do side by side tests of LW & smooth twist for pure accuracy without disputed results (let alone in wind conditions). With smooth twist x coming out, that may give some insight on how pellets behave with different twist rates. I agree with the idea that rifling style has less of an effect on accuracy than twist rate (but it does play a role in barrel fowling).

I will say smooth twist is winning more and more long-range competitions compared to LW (AoA posts the guns of competitors in extreme benchrest and FX has been the winner for the every one [minus the 2014 pro class and maybe 2011, the 2014 gun being a usft used solely for target shooting]).

Think we may never find that answer beyond a personal level, there are just too many variants. No Barrel or ever manufactured with 100% consistency (which is why if you compared the same rifle, used the same pellets, the results would not be 100% identical). Because the metal used for barrels have tiny imperfections. This is why we spend time looking for the right pellet for the individual gun. Now multiply this by introducing the lead pellets, which again may have minuscule defects/changes in density etc. Now finish the mix by adding harmonics into the subject and how differing stocks/tripods/rests/holds can affect the final shot. (I just LOVE the fact that there are so many variables, otherwise it would be a boring pastime).

I will add however that the reasoning behind Smooth Twist was to deform the pellet head as little as possible, but it only really got good results when shot at higher powers and with softer lead pellets. But if that was the be-all-and-end-all, then why would FX be working on incrementally tighter rifling (Pressed from the outside), of various twist rates? Again I think this will only increase the number of variables to consider.