• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Smooth Twist barrel : pellets lubed or not ?

I tested my Crown and Royale a LOT in preparation for the EBR. The Crown STX leaded up miserably so I tried a lot of different lubes but most would open up the groups to terrible. I finally found a couple that seemed to help with the leading and not shoot worse. The one I use now is Gunzilla for both bore cleaning AND pellet lube. Your results may differ, of course, but if you don't have a problem with leading, don't bother .

Bob

I agree with Bob. I've shot thousands of pellets through my .30 Bobcat (ST Barrel) prior to cleaning. When I did clean it, I pulled one wet (Ballistol) patch through it that came out semi-black, one more that was light grey, and then two dry patches that were clean. That was with at LEAST ten 150 pellet tins of JSB Exact 44.75 grain pellets through it.

Iā€™ve used Napier pelletĀ lubeĀ with JSB 18.13 in my Royale and Wildcat (both original smooth twist).Ā IĀ didnā€™t notice any difference in accuracy with non-lubed vs lubed pellets. I tried lubing my pellets to reduce lead fouling and reduce the frequency of cleaning the barrel which I believeĀ it did.

It only takes me fiveĀ minutes to clean and lube a tin of pellets so I donā€™t mind doing it. However, I havenā€™t lubed my last two tins of pellets and the guns are shooting just fine.Ā 

Pellet lube is cheap so give it a try and see how it works for you.