--- smart way to remember or note holdover mil-dot --- help needed

I have a simple plan but am pretty sure someone here has a better one to share.

Squirrel / Rat gun shooting from 13 to 100yards

Taipan VL .25 -- 25.4 grain -- 900fps

I have Chairgun and can see the the mil-dot in the graph but there's gotta be a better way than what I am thinking. I am aware of the 'optimum zero' and 'single zero' options in CG

20200415_071641.1609338913.jpg

What I used to do with mildot scopes (all second focal plane, SFP) was first to pick a zero distance and a magnification, and then shoot at targets from 5 to 50 yd and simply record the hold to the nearest 1/2 or 1/3 dot that produced shots on target. Then I would stick a piece of blue painter's tape to the side of the stock and write in the hold values for every 5 yd with an extra fine sharpie. I would also note the pellet and velocity that the gun and values were matched to, so I always knew which pellet to use with each gun.

Now I use ballistics software, first Chairgun, now Strelok Pro. It was a challenge trying to match reticles and magnification factors for SFP scopes to make the ballistics data line up with empirical field results. Once done, you can handwrite a range table per above, or take a screenshot of the ballistics table and/or reticle view generated by the software, print it out small, laminate it and attatch it somewhere to either your scope bell or stock.

With my two newest guns, I bought and have come to love First Focal Plane (FFP) scopes that have both reticles and turret clicks calibrated in M.O.A. (Minute Of Angle) units. Now, I configure my ballistics table to show holds in MOA that correspond directly to the MOA tic marks on my scope's reticle regardless of zoom magnification level.

Attached are photos of my table and reticle view, generated by Strelok Pro. The faint gey numbers in the reticle view are the MOA values for the tic marks that you actually see when looking through the scope. I annotated the reticle view using photo editor software app on Android tablet (Photo Editor app by Dev.macguyver). The scope is a Vortex Diamondback 6-25x50 FFP with EBR-2C MOA reticle and 1/4 MOA turrets.

I will also attach a photo of my ' packing tape laminated' range card, taped to the heel of my .25 Edgun R5M.

Hornet JSB 25 Trajectory Table No Wind sm 20201222.1609342603.jpg

Hornet JSB 25 Trajectory Reticle.1609342637.jpg

The Hornet 20190704 blur 1.1609344689.jpg

The Hornet with Range Card 20201230.1609344707.jpg

Vortex Diamondback EBR-2C Reticle.1609345132.jpg

Hello, Johnny PDX,

See my first paragraph above for the simple solution, very easy to do. You can also just write the values down on an index card to have with you, no ballistics software needed.

Here's a photo of the painter's tape range card on another gun.Sorry the detail is not quite as good. There are two range tables for two different pellets. Very easy to peel off and revise as necessary.

Good luck and have fun!

The Thing 2.1609345499.jpg

Here's a better shot of one of my simple painter's tape range cards on my TX200 HC, followed by one of the best examples I have seen of a laminated range card that I found on an Internet search. I'm sorry, but I do not who the maker is, perhaps they are a member here and will recognize their work. This has holdovers for shooting at angles other than horizontal (yes, it all changes when shooting up at those tree rats!), And for many different cross wind speeds.

You can use the ballistic software to calculate all the values and handwrite such a table.

Marks 177 TX200 HC with Range Table 2 20201230.1609350211.jpg

Range Card Example with Elevation  Windage.1609350228.jpg

I write or print my dope sheet on card stock and slip it under a rubber band or elastic ponytail thingie on the bell of the scope. I use to put it in the scope cap but I tweak things a lot, so it get's annoying. And I can have multiple cards for different pellets.

I also use painters tape on the scope with the pellet, fps and scope height for the gun. That way if I put a gun in the safe for a couple of months I know basically how it's setup.